4.0 out of 5 stars For smart people who "worship" nature
I'm a 36 year old male who has (intellectually and spiritually) inhabited just about every "headspace" one can imagine -- from New Age kook to cynical academic. I know bad scholarship when I read it, I know opinion stated as fact, and I know the red flags of junk science, because I've experienced this stuff from both sides of the intellectual divide, both as...
Published on December 24, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Fact or opinion?
While I got a great deal of information from this book (including a list of other books I want to read), I finally had to STOP reading it because of the male bashing and blanket statements which appeared to be unsubstantiated by any research.
Both authors obviously did do an impressive amount of research for much of the content in the book, but there were numerous...
Published on September 27, 2001 by T. Adams

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that changed my world-view, February 10, 2001
This review is from: The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth (Paperback)
I read this book about 1987 and it changed my views on the world. In this book I found an alternative to patriarchal religion and I am still very greatful to that. Although today I have been a little more critical of some parts of the book I still very much want to recommend it. That neolithic (and probably even palaeolithic) society was matrifocal and centered around a cult of the Great Goddess is, in my opinion, proved irrefutably by archaeological findings from the 20th century. I agree with Sjoo and Mor that this fact indeed is very important for us today. I think the book is wonderful and gives a convincing picture of the goddess religion. Unfortunately the authors often describe later Bronze Age and even Iron Age societies as matriarchal and goddess-worshipping, although these societies, with the exception of Minoan Crete, already was patriarchal and quite warlike. One example is the Canaanites/Phoenicians, who in fact had a quite bloody and oppressive religion, centered on child sacrifices and "sacral" prostitution. The excavations of Phoenician colonies in Northern Africa has showed many examples of ritual child sacrifices.
But this is a minor point. I think Sjoo/Mors book is one of the important books in the 20th century. You could argue with it, dislike parts of it, but if you are seriously interested in finding alternatives to patriarchal society and religion you must read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars obviously researched very extensively, still easy reading, March 14, 1999
By A Customer
This is one of the few books I have read over and over again, quoted it, referred other people to it, given it to others as a gift, and yes, even loaned my own personal copy that was passed along to me by a dear friend who is now a unity minister. There have been those who were not yet ready, those who were afraid, but they all have been touched by the knowlege and the mystique presented by the authors. It was as if I was reminded of my own past and given the given the knowlege to counteract some of the puritanical religous beliefs of our "modern" world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Required Reading By All!, March 9, 1999
This book has forever changed my life and how I regard patriarchal religion in general. It is a must-read for all, especially high school women and men - especially the men. We as women and mothers, must re-teach our young men about the "herstory" of our planet, and as soon as possible. As put by Ellie in the film "Contact" - "No words . . ." This book must simply be read by everyone. If you can afford it, buy a copy for your mother, father, husband, wife, daughter, son, friend! And to all and everyone - Blessed Be. . .

5.0 out of 5 stars World-expanding, empowering, essential, HerStory, flowing, July 5, 1999
By A Customer
This is a life-changing book. Everyone struggling within the system that exists today should read this for inspiration, hope, remembrance. The info contained within the pages of this book can bring you back to your source, allowing positive energy to flow thru you and out to your universe, returning you to the love-filled, creative world we used to thrive in. This is an extremely important book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will never forget this book, October 1, 2001
By A Customer
I have never read a more important book. With breathtaking insight and analysis, The Great Cosmic Mother constructs a new and exciting epistemology for humankind. I am a changed person now and I can only thank the profound wisdom of the two authors for helping me to illuminate my true path. The multidisciplinary scope of their vision is truly astounding, and speaks of a lifetime of learning and independant thought. Cynical? Read it. A bible for the new mellinium.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest book ever, July 15, 2007
This is not just a book, it's an adventure in discovery- what matriarchy means, and meant for 200 millenia before the patriarchs came and wrecked everything. Why it is such a profound trip is the old religion, the spirituality that prevailed for all those long centuries is really beautiful- empowering and liberating. Before there was writing there was no "word of God" for preachers to scare children with. There was not a God. The cranky, punishing, vengeful being worshipped by the world's three "great" religions was a Jehova come lately who showed up 200,000 years too late. Before the patriarchs invented him, humankind had got along very well all that time without him. Without guilt, or being ashamed of our bodies, without sin. As "savages" we loved our sexuality, and thought sex was fun, a gift from Mother Nature for us to enjoy.

Also it's astonishing to discover how deeply enmeshed we are and have been in Western
Civ, and what a huge role has been played by patrirchal preaching. When people from the West first saw natural humans, who still knew they are part of nature, and loved her they were shocked. They had no way of understanding their sprituality. They totally believed if it did not happen in a church with a book and a preacher, it could not be religion.

These two amazing women are here to show us a whole new- and very old- way of looking religion, at the world, and Mother Earth and the Cosmos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't read if you are not prepared to be angry, November 3, 2001
By A Customer
This has been a very important book for me. I am a "middle aged" woman in an introspective phase, after a lifetime of Athena type activity. It does do some male bashing and I'm sure all that is presented is not accurate. However, the authors use enough facts that I know to be true and present them in a manner which results in multiple "Aha's" when reading. It will make you angry at the thousands of years we have wasted in non-evolution. I would also recommend any books by Clarissa Estes and Jean Bolen to any woman or any man interested in knowing woman.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great exploration of the Goddes with a bitter anti-male bent, May 12, 2007
Spatch3 (Central Coast, CA) - See all my reviews
I have been greatly conflicted on how to rate and what to write as a review of this 500+ page tome.

First the bad: I know my sex would be read the riot act throughout this book, when on the dedication page, it can be read: "To my son ... who was tragically killed ... by patriarchal technology ..." Circulation aside, the polarization Ms Mor espouses is just as damaging to gender harmony as any patriarchal "holy" book. Women as "good" and men as "evil" isn't helpful to the cause of trying to find gender balance in pagan spirituality and culture. There was very little to zero differentiation made between male oppressors and males who don't / didn't treat women as second class citizens or worse, chattel.

Now the good: I was inspired by "Cosmic Mother." I hadn't been previously inspired to add to my statue collection "The Venus of Laussel" or "Ngame" better known as the Cretan Snake Goddess, but this book made me want to get them. Entire chapters inspired and resonated with me, particularly all of the chapters that spoke of women's culture and religion in Neolithic times.

The most topical material for today (the dark Bush years) is the chapter entitled "The American Split" in which Ms Mor argues the founding fathers religion of Deism is really an early form of Secular Humanism. Deuteronomy or the Hebrew part of the "Bible" could not have been the inspiration of basic constitutional rights such as "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, " "innocent until proven guilty," "freedom of religion," the utter rejection of divine rights of kings, etc. Ms Mor successfully argues that the USA was not founded on "Christian" values but on "Secular Humanist" values.

She is the most prophetic when speaking of "free trade zones" which are code words for making the rich richer and the poor poorer. One of her most enduring and convincing themes is that patriarchal monotheist religion and culture legitimizes entire populations servitude to the ruling elite. She, more than any other author, opened my eyes to this fact about patriarchal "holy" books.

In my continuing path to find the Goddess and eventually balance of male/female principles in my life and spirituality, "Cosmic Mother" has greatly helped me along. I just wish there wasn't so much bitterness between the helpful parts of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pivitol, December 8, 1998
By A Customer
This book was increadibly mind-blowing to me. One of those books that comes along once in a rare while to completely sweep away firmly established thought patterns. It also synthesized thoughts and theories I had had. Must read!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent excellent, it covers everything!, October 3, 2001
I really like this book, and wish more people were reading it. It covers everything from the Neolithic cultures to the beginnings of patriarchy to the breaking of the Goddess into her many "aspects" to the rise of xianity to the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Burning times, everything. The atrocities that "man" and "the church" has done against the earth and females in general are well spelled out. Even explains why and how bisexuality & homosexuality were acceptable in prepatriarchal times & why they aren't acceptable to "the church". Very very thorough, very well researched. Very recommended!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth
The Great Cosmic Mother: Rediscovering the Religion of the Earth by Monica Sjjoo (Paperback - May 27, 1987)
$26.99 $20.49