Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audible Audio Edition|Change

on June 12, 2013
I have loved the audio books. With the movie being out I wanted to read/listen to the book first. I really enjoyed The Great Gatsby narrated by Jake Gyllenhaal. Gyllenhaal's narration was why I purchased this copy. Recommend this to all who enjoy the audio books and Gyllenhaal.
on March 7, 2004
Jessie, what you said about the book is totally untrue. I am a junior in highschool who has recently finished reading this book. I happen to believe that you are older than me and yet, I understood the book better than you. Why don't you read it a little more carefully next time? There aren't any unanswered questions. Gatsby's work is subtely mentioned in the book after Gatsby's death when Nick picks up a phone call that was meant for Gatsby. On page 174, Nick is confused by what the man on the other line wants from Gatsby. "'Young Parke's in trouble,' he said rapidly. 'They picked him up when he handed the bonds over the counter.'" It goes on to tell how it actually happened. If one read closely enough, it is obvious that Gatsby was not a bootlegger, as believed by Tom, but a white collar criminal who created counterfeit bonds.
I also do not enjoy seeing comments like "teenagers don't appreciate books, read it when you grow up," because I really liked the book and am sure that many other teenagers appreciate it too.
on July 25, 2013
I did not see the product since it went directly to the third party I indicated. However, I do know that buying and paying for it was simple; shipping was incredibly fast; and the third party is very pleased to have the book. She is pre-reading it for school.
on March 7, 2011
It's the first time I've revisited this since my high school years. Much of what was lost on me then was much more enjoyable viewed through older eyes. Fantastic!
on July 31, 2014
Love, tears, wealth, beauty, and the green light. Hypocrisy, and lust in the early 1920's. What a beautiful era where the writer's words were chosen carefully such as a poet chooses his words to entrance and captivate the reader.
on February 28, 2006
This book's rating on Amazon has lowered significantly for the simple reason that generations of high school students have been forced to read it. Hence the young review below who hysterically complains, "it could have been shorter."

Simply put, it's not an adolescent's book. It's a novel about the tail end of youth, not the beginning. All the characters have reached a point in there lives where the party has begun to die, and find there is little waiting for them in the light of day. Thus they are perfect metaphors for the Jazz Age, for capitalism and America itself.

It's also one of the most stunningly written love stories ever written, conveyed in a completely opaque manner. Fitzgerald expresses characters' relationships with little more than snapshots, gestures and tones of voice. The way that Daisy kisses Gatsby while her husband is in the other room. The way that the Bucahanans talk to each other in the kitchen of their house. It takes a brilliant writer to use such opacity to his advantage.

Fitzgerald basically defined American tragedy with this novel. The mixture of ambition, romanticism and shame that constitute Gatsby make him perhaps the most archetypal tragic figure since Oedipus. It's simply a great book and nothing more.
on April 11, 2013
This is an interesting story. Having never read it, and only knowing it by name and nothing else, I can say it's definitely different from what I expected. Not sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting a love story. It is really a love story after all. With that in mind, I'm glad I read it, but I don't know if I would say it's "the great American novel" though. Maybe for it's time it was, but not sure I could honestly say that now (though I also can't say what the "great American novel" is as I've never put a lot of thought into it).

This book is great for it's size. It's paced well, and it's easy to get into. It's a good book, and while it might not be "the great American novel" (in my eyes), it's definitely an American classic that should be read by all. It's a great example of how to tell a good story without being long winded.
on August 14, 2014
The epitome of a perfectly-crafted novel. The most exquisite fruit that American literature has to offer. Each time I read 'The Great Gatsby' I am confronted with a novel that gets better and better with each reading. If you haven't read 'The Great Gatsby' at least once, then read it. And simmer in the pleasant warmth and amorphous pastel scenes that Fitzgerald has expertly-crafted.
on October 11, 2014
I tried really hard to enjoy this book. But sad to admit that I quit after half the book. AND I DONT LIKE TO QUIT ON ANYTHING.

I found the book boring and mundane. The section where it took three pages to inform us of Gatsbys party friends was ridiculous. Also the book jumps around too much which makes you wonder where your at.
on March 18, 2015
Personally I think it's not one of my favorites, but it has a great message to the audience. I think it is very heavily influenced by symbolism. The green light, the rich dressed in white, the eyes of T. J. Eckleburg, the overly lavish parties, and many more aspects of the book show that morality declines when people become selfish and materialistic.