5,081 Reviews
 (2,913)
 (1,135)

5.0 out of 5 stars Decades later, still great but on different terms.
Having reread this book for the first time in 20 years, I can confirm that there's a reason that it's considered one of the very best American novels. However, my reaction to the story was different than when I first read it in high school. I recall that back then I was hoping that Daisy and Gatsby's love story would ultimately yield a happy ending. Now, I found them both...
Published on August 24, 2001 by mirope

2.0 out of 5 stars Disliked greatly
Reading The Great Gatsby in high school almost seems like an American rite of passage. When I read it years ago in high school, I didn't care for it. Actually, I hated it. But after seeing that title pop up over and over again among lists of the greatest novels, I wanted to try it again. Did I like it any more the second time around? Nope.

First, there is the...
Published on November 21, 2012 by Viola Chen

‹ Previous | 1135 136 137509 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gatsby, March 4, 2014
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Kindle Edition)
It was a good book. I was a bit bored at times but at other times I would be tense. The drama keeps you reading because you want to know, who is this Gatsby. This book is not like the movie but it's still dramatic and pulls you into the world of these rich people. I read it as an assignment for class and expected to be bored but I ended up liking it. So, If you have some spare time, you should read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Literary Gem, November 14, 2004
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Paperback)
Fitzgerald captures the yearnings of a man's heart, no his very soul, in the pages of The Great Gatsby. It is at once subtle and overwhelming--the type of book, of which there are but a handful, that will remain in your memory for all your years. The prose is written to perfection, analogies seamlessly woven into the context, and the conclusion leaves the reader spinning in amazement. Absolutely Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent novel, stunning prose, January 3, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Paperback)
"The Great Gatsby" is a superb novel, easily one of the best books of 20th century literature. I was disappointed by some negative comments submitted by other readers, but then I realized that a book as moody and beautiful and simple as "The Great Gatsby" cannot be fully understood by today's America, which is ironic as Gatsby himself was never fully understood by his own era's America.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad and Shiny, December 26, 2014
Ian (Craigmore, South Australia) - See all my reviews
It's a glittering, rolling riveting and tragic novel. It seems that there is not one nice person is this book, not even the narrator, but it captures the excitement of the Roaring 20s. It speaks about the selfishness of the young, beautiful, wealthy and talented, and seems to also reflect on the life of the author, F. Scott Fitzgerald. It's written with color and life and poetry. It's really quite brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, August 22, 2013
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Kindle Edition)
The only reason I read this book was becasue the movie was coming out this year. I ended up reading this in one sitting. Fitzgerald gives us a look into a society where the rich have evrthing they can dream of yet are some of the most depressing characters ever written. Its a story of love, lies, and parties. I would recomend this book to anyone, and then tell them after they read it to go see the new movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gatsby Delivers!, May 14, 2013
Wayne R.Schiebel (NATRONA HEIGHTS, PENNSYLVANIA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Paperback)
I have been teaching this novel for 25 years. This new movie and the connected book has created more excitement than I have ever seen generated in any of my classes. Fitzgerald's masterpiece again brings the "Roaring Twenties" into our modern "cynical" world. This combination continues to enhance respect for the power and the beauty of the written word. Wayne R. Schiebel,
American Literature teacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, February 18, 2000
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Paperback)
I have to agree with Mr Vogt (2/15). The negative reviews make me question the quality of the books that people read these days. The lyrical quality and economy of the writing are enough to make The Great Gatsby worth reading. And Fitzgerald's commentary on the "American dream" through the ironies of Gatsby's journey and ultimate fate really resonated with me. And the last two paragraphs....wow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance through the eyes of a man, April 4, 2013
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Kindle Edition)
It's a classic for a reason. A dazzling time piece that brings the reader to the roaring 20s where living was the point of it all. Fitzgerald does a delightful job of letting us experience novel love as a man experiences it... the complete spell that his character Gatsby is under... and his demise brought about by his failure to acknowledge the truth that you cannot always force reality to fit your dreams.

2.0 out of 5 stars overrated, June 3, 2013
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Kindle Edition)
Not sure why this novel is considered one of the greatest in literature. I found it dull and uneventful. Fitzgerald offers readers plenty of description and unnecessary details, but hardly any substance or story. The characters were flat and unlikable. In the end I found myself indifferent toward any of them. To me, The Great Gatsby was just boring and after all the hype about it, I was quite disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, June 28, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Great Gatsby (Paperback)
Very few books have that intangible quality that elevates them from the merely great to the status of classic. THE GREAT GATSBY has, along with all of its obvious strengths, that undefinable "something" that makes it unforgettable. Of my other favorite books, only THE TRIUMPH AND THE GLORY, perhaps SOPHIE'S CHOICE, and Ayn Rand's stunning THE FOUNTAINHEAD compare to Fitzgerald's masterpiece.

‹ Previous | 1135 136 137509 | Next ›