Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

Format: Audible Audio EditionChange

on July 2, 2013
this review was written and posted by Tom Calnan, not Kathy Calnan, "Having seen the movie and not read the book, I felt compelled to read Fitzgerald and was glad I did. So many writers but with so little to say! Not Fitzgerald. His descriptions, characters, and images bring to life a time, not so long ago, when America "cut loose." But mostly, I admit, I was drawn to his portrayal of the achingly tender, unrequited love of Gatsby for his Daisy."
on June 19, 2013
I wanted to read this before I saw the movie. I know I read it in high school but I wanted to read it again.
As always it is a good book. A little sad and I was depressed when I finished it, but that is the way life
is sometimes. It is so sad Gatsby worked so hard for his lady love and it was all for nothing. He could never
fit in and yet as his friend said...He was a better man than all of the rest put together. It is worth reading.
on June 17, 2013
I wanted to read this book since it is a classic, and I didn't want to see the movie before reading it. The book was fabulous and now I'm excited to see the movie. A must-read for regular readers, since it is a classic, and it is very well written. Of course, some of the language is "old-school" but none the less, very intriguing story that captured my interest. Slow start at first, but after about the first third, it really picked up pace!
on November 15, 2012
This novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald is one of my favorite novels that I have ever read. I had to read it in high school and i have probably read it 10 times since then. I love the contrast between the morality of all the characters where Nick is moral almost to a fault while Gatsby and Daisy are both almost too immoral to function. This timely story contains action, scandal, love, and betrayal and it captures the escence of great American literature.
on April 30, 2015
I read this book when I was a teenager. I liked it back then, but it wasn't a favorite... not like others were (To Kill a Mockingbird, Catcher in the Rye, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, etc.). After watching the Leonardo Dicaprio movie of this book, I decided to read it again, to see if I would still enjoy it, and I do. I love books about NYC, this is actually a very sad love story... much better than any of the corny stuff that Nicholas Sparks writes!
on April 19, 2015
What makes this book a timeless classic are the lives of silly self-important rich folks have and always will be food for literature in any form. The decadence and debauchery were not new in the 1920's, just more noticeable to the masses than in previous generations. The characters here could drop into almost an era in time and fill their roles. Great literature is about writing greatly about insignificant things. Fitzgerald created a masterpiece.
on May 29, 2013
Fitzgerald has a unique writing style and describes life prior to the stock market crash of 1929. His characters are described in such detail that they come alive. However, this is not a feel-good book since their decadent life style leads to the unfortunate and undeserved death of two main characters.This classic is a quick read and well worth the time. If you plan to see the movie, read the book first as your foundation for enjoying the movie.
on May 18, 2014
I did not like this book very much but it did make me think. People are people and if they can get away with something at somebody else's expense they do. I did feel the book made you go back to the era and it is interesting how rich spent their time.
I also found the book a bit boring and a bit depressing. But there again a lot of Fitzgerald's writing's are depressing. Would I recommend this book I am not sure?
No. I do not think so.
on June 2, 2013
I read this in high school and loved it. I re-read it before seeing the new Gatsby film and highlighted on my Kindle as I went, which was cool. We had a dinner discussion before the movie to be sure our opinions wouldn't be tainted by the film. LOVED the movie as well. It added a lot to the characters and developed them, artistically, but in my opinion, true to the book. It made me want to go back and read the book again to see it with new eyes.
on March 12, 2013
Never read The Great Gatsby until now. F. Scott Fitzgerald was referenced in several recent movies and books that I read and, of course, the new movie will be released soon. So I decided I should finally read it before seeing the movie. Enjoyed it tremendously. The reader is engaged almost immediately and does not dis-engage until the book is finished. it's really timeless because the story is so riveting. Recommend. A very enjoyable read.