5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN!!
Published on January 14, 2009 by Christina Carroll

3.0 out of 5 stars Nap inducing
I was throughly blown away by the awarded stars and comments regarding "Struck".
I was gripped by the third page and released by the thenth. Somewhat boring,
repetitive and vaguely familiar. This book has the feel of the author having "borrowed" a bit from other
novels in it's class? I am NOT accusing, merely stating the theme and aura is remarkably...
Published on April 14, 2011 by Gideon Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN!!, January 14, 2009
Once I began reading this book, I became so engrossed that for the few instances when I wasn't reading it (due to the minor details of sleep & work), it was all I could think about. The descriptions of WWII battle were heartbreakingly detailed. The way Varner portrays his characters makes you feel for them (or despise them). I have a newfound sense of respect for my grandfathers who fought WWII. I have to say I was actually sad when the book came to an end. You become so involved with the characters that you feel as if you're leaving your friends when you finish this book. Can't wait for Part II!

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, January 7, 2009
The Great Hour Struck is an amazing read. I picked up this book, and within minutes I was struck by the vivid imagery and fluid prose. Varner, has developed an intimate story of love,life, war and peace. The juxtaposition of characters and plot lines intertwine to paint the story about the greatest generation and the honor with which soldiers served. The entire novel is tied together with an underlying message that has resounded for millenia and strikes at the core of human existence. A great read for all, I can not wait until part 2 comes out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and Very Moving, August 31, 2009
L. Roquet (St. Paul, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Great Hour Struck: On Eagles' Wings: Part One (Paperback)
Wow! Wow! The Great Hour Struck is an incredibly well-written and inspiring novel. I read it cover to cover in a couple days as I could hardly put it down due to the consuming nature of the story and the characters. Gary writes as if he has firsthand experience of each scene and fully engulfs the reader into the setting and the emotions of the characters. The story itself is full of passion and depth and leaves the reader longing for more. Thankfully, it seems based on some internet searching that there is indeed a sequel in the works.

I am a huge fan of classic Russian literature such as Dostoevsky and Tolstoy and I found this book to be written in the same engrossing style. I highly recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Historically Accurate, Yet Captivating Story-Line, September 16, 2009
A couple months ago my father gave me a gift. It was Varner's book. I knew my dad had me in mind, because like him I'm an avid World War 2 history buff. And like Sam the main character in the book, I'm also a Second LT in the United States Army that is Airborne qualified. So, this book was a perfect fit for me! I opened it and was immediatly captivated and moved by the story line. The action scenes made me feel I was in the middle of it and the love connection between Sam and Maggie was surprisingly moving. It's very difficult to get into historical fiction because one already knows what the end is going to be. The only way to get the reader's attention is have excellent character development and extremely accurate historical scenes. Varner has done exactly that! This book to me felt like Ambrose was writing a novel rather than a non-fiction book (if you enjoyed "Band of Brothers" or "Saving Private Ryan" at all, you will love this book). Varner's book has made my time while being deployed in Iraq go by a little faster, and I can't wait for his next novel! A must buy for anyone who is at all interested in this time-period!

5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN!!, January 14, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Stand Up, Hook Up and Tighten Your Chin Strap, November 19, 2009
World War II buffs...get ready for a great ride! Varner's debut is a winner and leaves the reader begging for more. And thankfully, there is more to come beyond this engaging story of courage and cowardice, brutality and empathy and love and hate.

The Great Hour Struck delves deep into complex yet interesting characters and hooks the reader into feeling and caring for all of them. Created around a historically accurate framework, Varner takes us back to the heady and chaotic days before and during the Normandy invasion.

The reader experiences the battles and struggles of simple men and women as they wrestle with the emotional agony of separation and personal loss. In fact, one does not have to be a World War II aficionado to appreciate Varner's sophisticated tapestry of human behavior and interaction amplified by the grand stage of global war. Get the book, carve out some time, be prepared to dive into the action and feel a tingle of regret as the book winds down to its compelling conclusion.

John E. Nevola
Author of The Last Jump - A Novel of World War II

5.0 out of 5 stars What a read!, January 11, 2009
I have always been drawn to historical accounts of all wars, but am especially fond of WWII. I have read Shaara, Keegan, Tuchman and many others. If you like these authors, you are going to love this book! Varner has done a masterful job of taking an extremely broad topic (D-Day) and breaking it down into minute details, as if he had been there himself. You can really understand how a few minutes in intense combat seems like everything is moving in slow motion. The clash between the urgency of the present versus the eternal thought-provoking points makes for great reading. A must if you enjoy overt action and the private search for meaning in this life, all in a masterfully woven story. Beware, you may forget it is a novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, January 7, 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Couldn't Put It Down...Literally!, December 30, 2008
Kris Gandillon (Wildwood, MO USA) - See all my reviews
Varner had me locked in from the first chapter! I couldn't put the book down except for one brief period when I allowed myself about 4 hours sleep before picking it up again! The extremely accurate details and terminology show how much care Varner put into the historical accuracy of the people, places and things woven throughout this incredible novel. With the subplot of the love story, my wife enjoyed the book as much as I did though she did take a bit more time to savor the book while I plowed straight through it because I couldn't wait to find out what happened next! This one is a real page turner! Can't wait for the "rest of the story" to be published! In my opinion, The Great Hour Struck also has screenplay written all over it if the right people get to read it. Would make an excellent movie. We read it over the Thanksgiving holiday and ended up buying 18 copies to give as Christmas gifts to friends and family this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Couldn't put it down..literally!, December 30, 2008
Kris Gandillon (Wildwood, MO USA) - See all my reviews

The Great Hour Struck: On Eagles' Wings: Part One
The Great Hour Struck: On Eagles' Wings: Part One by Gary Varner (Paperback - November 14, 2008)
$25.95 $23.36
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.