4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful glimpses into great minds, May 26, 2008
This review is from: The Great Jazz Pianists: Speaking Of Their Lives And Music (Da Capo Paperback) (Paperback)
For jazz pianists this is a valuable resource. Lyons, a classically-trained pianist, asks somewhat consistent questions to each of the pianists presented but is also a skilled interviewer and knows how to go off on a tangent when appropriate. He also manages, for the most part, to avoid the (to me anyways) boring questions about the artists' current touring schedules, newest records, etc.
I wouldn't classify all of the pianists in this book as being representative of the "greats"; Billy Taylor and Marion McPartland, while certainly brilliant and important in their own ways, would probably not make the short list of great pianists for most pianists and jazz fans. Also, since this book's publication, many great pianists have emerged on the jazz landscape that are arguably equally deserving of the title "great". However, most of the list is truly stellar, including Herbie, Chick, Keith, McCoy, Bill, Oscar, Horace Silver, Teddy Wilson, and many other extremely influential pianists.
The interviews with Mary Lou Williams and Cecil Taylor are particularly entertaining to read because they are extremely opinionated. In fact, many of the great pianists, you will notice, are very opinionated, and perhaps this is part of what makes them great.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, December 12, 2013
I read this book years ago, and then lost and re-bought it. I really enjoyed all of the interviews. I learned a lot about the personalities of the players. I am re-reading it now and my mind is being refreshed. I recommend this book to any who loves jazz piano.

The Great Jazz Pianists: Speaking Of Their Lives And Music (Da Capo Paperback)
$16.95 $15.26