Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on February 19, 2013
Feels like entering another time and space with this family and a very special tarot deck of magical powers. It's slow, but worthwhile.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2016
Oh, I sent this one back--couldn't get into it. But I made a mistake--Shadows of Ecstasy was REALLY GOOD!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2008
I really enjoyed reading "The Greater Trumps." Not having any knowledge about the Tarot cards left me a little behind, but I belive that the morale to the story is to love, completely, without reserve, from a position of great personal self knowledge.
on January 7, 2011
I was ever so excited. My love, Tarot, was about to meet my other love, reading novels, and dance together to the sounds of life going by...

But it was a boring dance; the musician did not perform well. The sentences towards the end of the book seemed to repeat each other over and over and the ending was quite unsatisfactory though a predictable and wished-for one. I dragged myself to the end of the book, to the end of the snow fall just to make sure I was not missing something.... oh no, I was not!

I am looking forward to find a GREAT Tarot+novel book!

Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya
11 comment1 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2006
Before getting into the novel I think it worth saying that if you aren't already familiar with the Tarot and the "meaning" of the various "picture cards" then you are likely to find this very hard going indeed.
The Preface, by Charles Lindsey Gresham (who?), offers descriptions of the 22 (or 21?) "Greater Trumps", but these are not particularly helpful, firstly because they are so brief, secondly because they don't match many of the illustrations provided at the front and back of the book!

Anyway, on with the story - such as it is.
In fact I won't go over the story again because the previous reviewers have, between them, successfully summarised the entire plot. All you'll get in addition, in the book, is a highly convoluted, prolix version of the same set of basic elements.

Having much enjoyed almost all of Williams' novels I was prepared to give this one every chance. But by half way through I was already reading just to reach the punchline. And when it finally came I felt, as previous reviewers have said, thoroughly unsatisfied and wondering why I had bothered.

Those who are well-versed in the mysteries of the Tarot, and those who like their literature as obscure as possible may find this a worthwhile read. For the rest of us, even the Charles Williamds fans, my personal response is "forget it"!
22 comments6 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 28, 2012
Williams maligns the tarot in this book. He does not know much about the tarot. For example, the proper name for card no.1 is the Magician, but he calls it the Juggler.Williams gives evil intent to some of the cards. This is ridiculous. Each card has deep meaning, and none is evil.In the book Henry creates a terrible storm with the cards. Such a thing cannot happen. Novels on magic are fine, as long as they have a genuine occult basis. In contrast to Williams, Dion Fortune wrote excellent occult novels based on a thorough understanding of the subject. To anyone who has studied the tarot, Williams presents a confusing and downright wrong picture of the tarot.
55 comments1 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse