VINE VOICEon March 24, 2009
Format: Hardcover
I have mixed feelings about The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived; well, not the man...but the book about the man. First, a little about the book; written by Steven K. Scott, the best-selling author of The Richest Man Who Ever Lived and The Greatest Words Ever Spoken, it's about Jesus and how his life on earth can be a model for ours to help us in overcoming adversity and/or limitations that challenge our ability to "live our lives with unparalleled success and unshakable happiness."

Ok, so the book is well-written. It is also put together very well, following a very logical progression of alliterated points. There is no question in my mind that the points are practical, balanced, and beneficial for achieving the results promised by the author. I also believe that Jesus is the ultimate model for living life on this earth. Where are my mixed feelings?

As I have said, I agree with the principles and teaching exposited in the book, The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived...I believe them and I try to model and live my life by them. I especially liked the "Whole Different Kind of Love" chapter. I also like very much that almost all the chapters ended with a list of action steps to help the reader with concrete starting points for making change in their life. What I did not care for, and I don't mean this to be a criticism of the book (I really hope I have qualified myself enough by now), is the packaging. I'm left with a taste that the message of Christ's gospel is being hawked as a self-help clinic; "How to be like Jesus in 6 easy steps!" I don't want to imply that is the intent of the author, Scott, I'm just saying that's the aftertaste I'm left with. I think the gospel is about much more than "earthly success" and "unshakeable happiness." I think there is something to eternal joy in the face of and in spite of unspeakable grief and tragedy. I think there are millions of people that might put these principles into action and not achieve the tangible results of earthly success...success is not always measured by what we see in our immediate reality or future.

Bottom Line: It is a good book with solid principles and it is technically accurate. My personal opinion is that the book presents a commercialized message and borders on a "what's in it for me" sales pitch. I'm left feeling a little disappointed.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 26, 2009
Format: Hardcover
I'm going to be 50...someday - to emulate Meg Ryan.

And Steven Scott tells me that on that day, I will have lived 2600 of my (on average) 3,952 weeks. Does that bother you? It bothers me... and I am actually closer to 40 than 50 (wrinkles not withstanding).

Do you want to know that the world is different because you were here?

Steven Scott is an ordinary guy who has succeeded in extraordinary ways because he has used the principles that he learned by following Jesus. With a fair amount of learning from Solomon and Thomas Edison thrown in.

He started his career with eight failures and became a multi-millionaire. In this book, he shows you how to succeed at being the best YOU you can be, by being like Jesus. This book is "How to win friends and influence people" plus every book that John Maxwell ever wrote, all in one. You can save yourself a ton of time and money if you buy, read, highlight, study, and apply the principles of this book.

Rarely do I find a book that I am convinced every one of my kids needs to read. Right now I'm plotting how to get this book in formats that they will all assimilate. (This one's an audio learner (audio book), this one's a visual learner (regular book), what if I read it aloud at bedtime for this one...)

I believe we are all called to greatness. You are called to greatness. God put you on earth for a purpose. You can fulfill it. This book is a great tool.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Hardcover
The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived teaches us the principles of fulfillment from the life of Jesus. I think it's interesting, for a Christian, to contemplate the man Jesus as opposed to the diety of Jesus. Christians believe that Jesus had a dual nature as both man and God, but this book really investigates how the man acted in order to carry out his divine mission.

From the first chapter, which provides the arguments for why you should base your life on the principles by which Jesus lived his, to the last chapter, which warns against living your life only for the possessions and fame you can garner, this book provides the most useful reference to the principles of life, which Jesus lived and taught, that I have found.

My favorite chapters were "The Sense of Mission", "A Message that Communicates", and "Your Incredible Worth." Here's my favorite quote from the book:

"Think how much better our world would be today if we valued ourselves and those we work with, meet, and interact with in the manner of Jesus"

This statement is made after referencing Matthew 6:26-27 and Matthew 10:29-31 where Jesus reminds his disciples that God takes care of all living things and he cares even more for them. Have you thought of that today? God is caring for every living animal and plany on the planet, but he cares more for that person you're having an argument with than he does the animals and plants. It will make us stop and interact differently if we think like this.

Great book. Much of the content acted as a reminder of past readings, but there were equally as many new and insightful thoughts.
on March 20, 2009
Format: Hardcover
The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived by Steven K. Scott is a great book. Imagine reading a self-help book, one of those books that teach you how to better manage your time, focus on your priorities, cultivate friends, make more money, be fulfilled in your career, have an enviable marriage, be a better parent, etc., etc. Now imagine being told you can do all of the above if you just follow the example of one man: Jesus. This is that book.

Steven K. Scott manages to make complex subjects easy to understand and apply, while not dumbing down his message. This is a rare talent - one I greatly appreciate. We all know we are supposed to be followers of the Master, but this book shows us how to do that in practical terms.
VINE VOICEon March 25, 2009
Format: Hardcover
In one of the more wisdom dense books I've read in quite awhile, Steven K. Scott, delivers an enthusiastic and compelling infomercial type of pep-talk that will challenge most readers on several levels. Emotionally, Scott lays out the drives and needs that forge our actions and then he delivers sage Biblical advice that can help to shape actions and to meet needs without leaving trails of destruction in our lives. Financially/Careerwise Scott urges the reader to find that passion, the burn and then harness and focus them into success. He gives helpful guidelines and more wisdom, again, Biblical. His encouragement covers relationships, physical choices and pursuits also painted with wisdom from the book of Proverbs and the teachings of Jesus Christ. If you haven't picked up on the theme, Steven Scott is an on-fire follower of Christ.

If you are looking for a small group Bible study idea, or a book to light a fire under your carcass, or help with some issues that are making your life just not work so well, you could do far worse. Scott is one of the kings of infomercials and his examples of some of his successful ventures hit home with me as I've purchased a few of his products over the years and have wanted quite a few others. Interestingly, his products, no matter how great, how much they stand up to their claims only work when they are used. Same deal with the book.

If Jesus offends you, you may struggle or squirm. However, if you are curious to understand a little bit more about Jesus and His teachings and how they affect you and your life, this is a thoughtful and meaty book that really brings home how intersected life, spirit and soul really are.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 29, 2012
Format: Hardcover
First of all, I am a huge fan of best-selling author Steven K. Scott and his writing. I have read his books, The Jesus Mission, and The Greatest Words Ever Spoken, and have thoroughly enjoyed them both. So, when I saw his book, The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived, about the "Greatest Man Who Ever Lived" I knew I had to read it and review it.

His books consists of 17 well-written, spiritually rich and Biblically sound Chapters of information about Jesus Christ who truly is the Greatest Man who ever lived and how his rule and reign of our lives can and will forever change how we think and live. Because we live in a "what's in it for me society" - with even so-called professing believers buying into that way of thinking his first chapter is appropriately titled, "What the Greatest Man Who Ever Lived Can Do For You." It is in this chapter author Scott explains who Jesus is and what he can and will really do for you if you believe in him and live for him. Author Scott share from his own life how he came to know about Jesus Christ and how he saved and transformed him. One thing he writes in the chapter is that Jesus came to provide us an abundant life as his followers but from a man who has been successful and is wealthy he writes, "Now don't get me wrong, the "abundant life" Jesus offers us does not refer to material wealth, (no health and wealth gospel being presented in his book thank God), I've known millionaires, and even billionaires, many of whom are more miserable and "empty" than people of ordinary means." And this is written by a man who is successful and wealthy but definitely has his spiritual and financial priorities in order.

So, he starts his book out by telling us the truth and the truth is that Jesus came to save us from our sins and give us an abundant and fulfilling life." He concludes Chapter one with the oft quoted saying of Jim Eliot, a missionary who died as a martyr for the cause of Christ, "He is no fool who gives that which he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose."

In Chapter 2, titled "Wake up and Smell the Starbucks," author Scott writes about the real difference that Jesus Christ can make in a person's life. I especially like his chart concerning what he refers to as life's "illusions" and "realities" and how Jesus can "illuminate them with his words and insights." He then concludes this chapter as he does with many in the book with what he refers to as, "Understanding Changes Minds - Action Changes Lives" which is a section of each chapter where he reveals to us how we can turn understanding into action." And that is what the real Christ and the true Christian life is all about...Action. From the Gospels as well as from the writings of the Apostle Paul and others who wrote the books of the New Testament we read that Jesus, his disciples, the Apostle's Paul, Peter and John, were all men of action and all at great cost to them personally.

In Chapter 3, "The Six Keys from the Life of Jesus" and Chapter 4,"Meaning That Motivates: Finding Your Whys" author Scott relates six important key teachings and lessons from the life of Christ and then directs us to the heart and soul of our own lives to have us probe what it is that we believe gives our life meaning and the "whys" of our lives. This is definitely important information author Scott is providing so as to cause us to pause in our lives as Disciples of Christ and really think through who we believe Christ is, what that means to our lives and how our believing in him causes us to live day to day in this present world. There are many things I enjoy about Steven Scott's writing style and one of them is how he writes to us as his readers...in a very easy to read, understand, and practical manner.
In Chapter 5 he writes about our "Sense of Mission," a chapter that addresses an issue that I often share with many people who reach out to me because their lives seem meaningless, unfulfilled or empty. Just as author Scott writes in his book I tell them that they need a mission - a life purpose - a reason to get out of bed in the morning, get going and living life to the fullest regardless of our situation or circumstances...and that it is possible to do so. I can attest to that fact from my own personal experience living with 2 brain tumors. If I did not have a "mission" or a purpose for my life that gets me out of bed and going each morning I know I would not be in the good shape that I am in for the shape that I am in.

In the rest of his awesome book, author Scott continues to write about the life - the message and ministry of Christ, citing Scriptures and personal examples a well as from the examples of others, what it means and looks like to be a successful Disciple of Jesus Christ. Again, he is not equating success with the possessions of money, things, or status, but rather, author Scott writes about living as a successful Disciple of Christ from the standpoint of the impact we have in the lives of the people around us as a result of being one of Christ's followers. He writes about "overcoming adversity," and experiencing and living out a "whole different kind of love," a love that he writes is "infinitely better" than any so called "love" people experience in this world apart from Christ and his love experience.

In Chapter 13 he reminds us as his reader of our "incredible worth," which are words of encouragement and empowerment for when we realize who we are and whose we are...well, it just changes how we think and live and the measure of real meaningful success we achieve in our lives.

And I for one do not have much in this world as far as worldly goods; however, by the grace of God and the power of the Holy Spirit working in and through my life I have established relationships and friendships with some of the most powerful people in the political and corporate world. And it really makes me chuckle sometimes because of the fact that I am just an ordinary sinful man that God seems to bless and use in ways that literally blows my mind AND for which I am truly grateful. And because of what God has done in my life and does through my life I have been able to help thousands of consumers/
citizens worldwide in a number of different ways. It is very humbling to me. And I do not write this to brag or boast as God forbid that I should boast in anyone or anything other than my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and his cross, but rather to share with you that the seemingly impossible becomes possible when God and his son Jesus Christ is Lord of our lives and is working in and through our lives. He truly does use the foolish things of this world to confound the wise. AMAZING it is! And in his book in chapter 15 author Scott writes about such "unparalleled Success and Unshakable Happiness" that he along with countless others including myself have found and do experience because of our relationship with Jesus Christ.

In chapter 16 of his book he writes about "the Most Important Questions You'll Ever Ask," and if you buy the book and read it, (and I highly recommend that you do), you will agree as to just how important the questions are and that we do need to ask them in our lives. And finally in Chapter 17 he concludes with the grand finale asking the question, "Wouldn't You Like to Live Forever?" The author's vote is yes and I vote yes and for us the good news is that we ARE going to live forever.

But what about you my dear friend? Do you know where and with whom you are going to spend your eternity? If you don't buy the book, read it and do what author Scott suggests as he shares from the Word of God what you need to do in order that you might be certain of your eternal destiny spending it in Heaven with "The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived," Jesus Christ, the Son of God and God AND King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

I have received a complimentary copy of the book from the publisher, Waterbrook/Multnomah Publishing Company, for reviewing it.
Format: Hardcover
Awesome book, loved Steven Scott's understanding of the life of Jesus, and how he has used the same principles of Jesus' personality, in the business world and his personal life. His insights on success in business and relationships is valuable to all. I loved the book, and learned alot from it.
on August 30, 2010
Format: Hardcover
I've read this book three times and learn something new each time. Highly recommend for business and life lessons. Gave to several friends and collegues. They loved it.
on May 6, 2010
Format: Hardcover
this book is too much about the author, and not enough about Jesus! He talked more about himself than he talked about Jesus.
on March 16, 2014
Format: Hardcover
The book I purchased was rated "very good" and cost a penny. In the past, I have purchased other books from various vendors with this rating. I was I was shocked when I received this book. It looked like it went through a flood. Every page was wrinkled from being wet and several pages had mold and water stains on them. It smelled like mildew. I would certainly have not rated the condition of this book "very good". I would have rated it "poor". Honestly, if I had a book in this condition I wouldn't have felt right about giving it way let alone selling it. I would have returned it, but since it only cost me a penny I decided to keep it and try reading it anyway.