5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest trip in the world
The summer after my freshman year in high school, a ton of years ago, I was miserable. I didn't have any new friends at school, I was having a hard time at home, and I was trying to get through everyday with a smile on my face.
Published on December 11, 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Salesman in the World
This would be a good read for a young person, coming out of high school or college. I can't imagine why i chose it at my age>>>(87 yrs.) This too, I will donate to the local hospital reading cart.
Published 13 months ago by Kate Fitch

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest trip in the world, December 11, 2000
By A Customer
I took a trip with a bunch of people I didn't know, a 10 day backpacking trip to an island in lake superior. Our guide was a 75 year-old man named Dave. Everyday, Dave read us a chapter from this book, and everyday my respect for him grew.
The day I got off the island I bought the book and began my ten month journey through the scrolls it contained. I've followed the instructions, reading each chapter for one month, several times. I've worn out several copies and given away several others.
This book profoundly changed my life. Not only am I extraordinarily successful in terms of "material" success, but I am happier than I ever imagined it was possible to be several years ago before I went on that island. Buy this book, follow it's instructions, and even if you are never the richest woman or man on earth, you will be among the happiest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will help you create the habits for success., September 30, 2005
I can see why some people will give this book less than 5 stars. If you are looking for fancy smancy selling techniques, look elsewhere. This is not about technique, it is about the habits; the character that makes up a great salesman.

I first started using this book 9 years ago. I would read a chapter a day, three times a day and cheated by reading ahead. More importantly, I began to make these habits my habits.

At that time, my sales were less than satisfactory. Within weeks, my sales climbed and I began winning contest after contest. When people asked me what I was doing, I would pull out this book which I carried with me. Some would leaf through it and giggle. And they wondered why their sales were so low!

I also found that when I got sick of this book and felt like I had mastered it, a short while later, my sales fell again. So did my attitude. So I started the process all over again and you guessed it, I started making sales again, this time faster than before.

Over the years, I have bought many copies of The Greatest Salesman in The World. Some were dog eared and worn out, some I just lost or sometimes I kept one at the office and one at home.

I just started re-reading this book again. Watch out......

5.0 out of 5 stars How to read this book, November 1, 1999
By A Customer
I don't know if I misread the instructions or if I'm the only one who actually followed them. If you follow scroll I, it should take you the better part of a year to finish the rest of the book. Following that, I'm only 2/3rds of the way through scroll II (I got the book a couple of months ago, but didn't consistently follow scroll II daily and at the 16-day mark, decided to start again at day 1).
I can definitely say it has changed my life, and even the lives of those around me (most of all a person I work with who is hard to get along with and hence gets along with no one--except, now, me, and it really has seemed to make his attitude at work more positive overall). Though difficult at first, it quickly became easy to apply the first principle, and finally find myself easily "making people your greatest resource" as so many *other* authors suggest you do for success in life, although it is not specifically suggested in this book. I have gotten a half dozen new and better job offers in the couple of months since I started the book, accepted one of the first ones and am currently in the process of exploring the others.
I see all these "couldn't put the book down till I finished" and I think, wow, you went a year with a book in your hand? Personally I'm still in considerable suspense waiting to see what scroll III says, let alone the entire rest of the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the classic business parables, February 13, 2005
For those who enjoy classic business parables like the "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George Clayson, "The Baron Son" by Vicky Therese Davis, and "The Alchemist" by Paolo Coelo, they will certainly find interest in "The Greatest Salesman in World."

Like the other works, it has been translated around the world and brought joy to the hearts of many. "The Greatest Salesman in the World" is the first, and by far the best, in Og Mandino's trilogy including "The Greatest Secret in the World" and "The Greatest Miracle in the World."

As the title would imply, it is the ancient story of the world's greatest salesperson whose passes on his secrets of success by bequeathing ten scrolls to his protégé.

The Scroll Marked I, Today I begin a new life - Form good habits and become their slaves
The Scroll Marked II, I will greet this day with love in my heart - Show love and compassion to the world and you shall find it returned
The Scroll Marked III, I will persist until I succeed - Persistence will bring you success
The Scroll Marked IV, I am nature's greatest miracle - Love yourself
The Scroll Marked V, I will live this day as if it is my last - Seize the day
The Scroll Marked VI, I will be the master of my emotions - Live courageously and do not fall victim to fear and disappointment
The Scroll Marked VII, I will laugh at the world - Appreciate each situation and do not take life too seriously
The Scroll Marked VIII, Today I will multiply my value hundred fold - Find ways to create value for others in your exchanges
The Scroll Marked IX, I will act now - Act decisively to achieve success
The Scroll Marked X, I will pray for guidance - Renew yourself through a connection with God

In summary, it is an inspirational story that is wonderfully told in a spiritual and principled tone that you will be sure to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very Powerful Book!, May 8, 2005
The Greatest Salesman in The World is a classic case of not judging the quality of a book by it's size. This slim little book initially doesn't appear to be much or have much information. But once applied, it is powerful.

I first came across this incredible book nearly 30 years ago. I am ashamed to admit that initially, I never read it Og Mandino intended. I read it like a regular book and tossed it aside.

Several years later, presented with a great opportunity I met an incredibly gifted saleperson. This man was the best salesman I had ever met or seen in action. And I had seen some very good salesmen. I asked him his secret.

He told me to read two books. One was How To Master The Art of Selling by Tom Hopkins and the other was, you guessed it, The Greatest Saleman in The World.

When I told him that I had The Greatest Salesman in The World and indicated by my facial expression that I was not too impressed, he immediately told me that he figured that I didn't read the book properly and he was right.

You have to read this book as Og Mandino indicated, one chapter at a time, three times per day and one time out loud. Then move on to the next chapter and proceed for the duration which lasts nine months.

When I followed the instructions as advised, I saw a major difference. My habits and attitude changed. I started winning sales contests and actually started making some real money.

I also bought Tom Hopkins book and many by Brian Tracy and others. While they all helped, I feel as though Og Mandino's The Greatest Saleman in The World had the greatest impact on me. All of the techniques in the World won't and don't make a

difference without the right attitude. Interesting that both Tom Hopkins and Brian Tracy both highly recommend this book as well as every great salesperson that I have ever met.

Highly recommended. Must reading for all serious salespeople.

Like the reviewer ahead of me, I usually only give 5 star ratings, not because I am a soft reviewer, but only because I choose to review only the best quality books. The Greatest Salesman In The World ranks right up there with the best in sales books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought Skeptically., September 7, 2000
By A Customer
Many years ago, a friend asked if I had ever read anything by Og Mandino? I said no, and I didn't think I would ever want to since I generally distrusted her taste in literature. A couple of years later, I was living in a small town and out of books to read. One afternoon I worked my way along the single aisle of books in the town's only department store and saw this title. Nothing else stood out, and I did remember the name Og Mandino. How could such a name be forgotten? I said "what the heck" and bought a copy. To my surprise, I discovered a gold mine. The style of "The Greatest Salesman in the World" is simple, poignantly simple. The story of the man learning the principles of becoming a great salesman completely sucked me in, and I'm not even a salesman, and even though I am not a salesman, there was still much to be gained from this jewel of a book. The story moves at a fast pace and holds the attention of the reader like a vice-grip. If you are able to read it in parts, you are an exception. This one is a page turner you just can't put down. I'm a Mandino fan now. If you like Mandino, be sure and read "Castle of Wisdom" by Rhett Ellis. Ellis and Mandino write with a similar and utterly gripping style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff To Remember, June 20, 2006
This book says the secret to learning is forming good habits. In other words, one only learns by repeating the same good things over and over again. Simple idea that I think we can all agree on.

Unfortunately, the world of public education seems to be trying its best to move away from this idea. The new educational training institutions hate memorization and the repetition necessary to get there. That may be one of many reasons why the state of public schools is more dire now than it has been in the past. Promoting books like this could easily rectify the problem. Through this book, one can learn to embrace failure as a necessary path to success and avoid the trap of attempting to hide failure in a ridiculous attempt to protect self-esteem. (Can we say giving kids who can't speak English passing grades in English?)

That unrelated issue aside, this book is full of many great traditional and common sense ideas. Some of the following paraphrased points I particularly liked:

-I will greet each day with love for everything, light and dark.
-I will persist until I succeed; always will I take another step.
-I must fail many times to succeed only once
-My differences are what will make me successful
-I am grateful for the undeserved gift of a priceless new day
-I will bury doubt with faith
-My last must be my best
-My moods may change without reason, but so do the moods of others.
-I won't labor to be happy. Instead I'll remain too busy to be sad.
-I will raise my goals as soon as they are attained.
-This is the time. This is the place. I am the man. I will act now. I will multiply my value today.
-I will pray for God to guide me.

This book is a reminder that there's no magic formula. You've got to work every day and fail every day to reach any goal you'll ever have. That's the way it is, that's the way it has always been, and that's the way it will always be. The sooner we realize that the lack of a magic formula is a good thing, the happier we'll be.

I don't know why I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5. Maybe I thought the build-up to the scrolls could have been a little bit shorter. Maybe I've read enough books to recall seeing a lot of the above paraphrased ideas before, but not enough books to see how this one stands out above the others. I'm just not sure.

In any case, it was indeed a brilliant idea to include the first chapter of Part II at the end of the book. I may end up purchasing the sequel to see what happens.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book!, August 16, 2000
It seems trite to say it, but reading this book was one of the greatest spiritual experiences (so far at least! ) of my life. This is the book that launched the career of Og Mandino, the author, and in the process, transformed the lives of millions of his readers, who put the information and learning in this slim volume into their daily lives. The book chronicles the experiences of a young man in the area of ancient Jerusalem, and his quest as he attempts to learn how to be a great salesman. In the process of his learning, he makes a decision that will influence his life forever. The book includes the wisdom of "ten scrolls" of learning, which the reader is instructed to follow. I have no doubt that if we have the courage to follow the wisdom in this book, it can alter our lives to an amazing amount.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Sales Books Ever Written, January 3, 2006
The Greatest Salesman in the World, by Og Mandino

If you flood your brain with positive thoughts what do you think will be the predominant thoughts emitted; most likely positive, right? Well that's what Og Mandino and his pile of bestsellers are all about, bombarding your mind with positively charged thoughts and concepts so you drowned out the negative ones. His books are like schooling, they prepare you for a life of positive planning and positive thinking. He teaches you how to use affirmations to basically brainwash yourself to stay focused on your goal and stay positive on the journey. He shows through his ancient stories how positive thinking and positive planning can make all the difference in the outcome.

The scrolls are great and can be used as a starting point to a lifetime of using affirmations and visualizing your desired outcome. The fable brings thoughts of almost mystic ancient times, similar to, The Richest Man in Babylon and The Alchemist. The best part about it is if you like this book you can continue on the Og Mandino journey with his dozens of other books written in a similar fashion.

My Blog:

[...]

By Kevin Kingston, author of: A 20,000% Gain in Real Estate

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring novel, August 21, 2004
Evan Wearne (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I had my first Southwestern summer this year. I sold books door to door for 12 weeks. I don't know if it is possible to comprehend inspirational books until you fail at something. I thought inspirational books were great before the summer, but not until I began selling books door to door did I realize the true meaning of "Persist until you succeed," or "Quitters never win and winners never quit." I like the book. I read each chapter six times, one each week. I used the topics as positive affirmations. I found it necessary to feed my mind as well as my body because I found I become irrational when I fail at something. I also liked the story part of the book. I can't wait to read the sequel.

The Greatest Salesman in World
The Greatest Salesman in World by Og Mandino (Hardcover - September 1, 2001)
Used & New from: $0.09