Published on September 17, 2008 by DR-J-J

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful!!!
While I greatly admire Steve Scott's effort to compile-by-topic the greatest words ever spoken, I believe the following WARNING should be placed at the beginning of the book:
WARNING
Published on July 17, 2010 by Gerry Uretsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, Wonderful introductions, great inspiration for any heart, September 17, 2008
The Greatest Words Ever Spoken is a remarkable book! At first blush, it appears to be a Topical Bible, but it is so much more. First of all, these are the words of Jesus on a myriad of topics: Anger, Security, Money, Mercy, Truth, Fear, Compassion, Conflict, Murder, Reconciliation, Adultery, Lust, The Soul, Women, The Family, Unrighteous Leaders, Parents, Foolishness, The Worth of an Individual, Happiness, and etc., etc. Just reading Christ's words on these subject all GROUPED TOGETHER in one place has an amazing affect. And it is amazing how detailed His words really are. This is an amazing experience: strengthening, encouraging, admonishing, and corrective to one's life.

What is odd, but I suppose not given the author's purpose, is that Steven Scott (when he started his exploration of the Words of Jesus) was decided that this would be just for his own encouragement and a dicipleship journey. Friends found out and asked him to publish. And so, for the book to have the positive growth affecta was, in a way, planned. That this book would be a tool of growth and encouragement, is something I didn't expect but certainly appreciate.

The wonderful part of the book is each Section's Introduction. Steven Scott has masterfully given a treatsie on dicipleship and growth in Christ in his short "introductions." This is worth the price of the book by itself.

This is one of those treasures that you will turn to again and again. It will be on the shelf nearest your desk and so that the Words of Christ will remain in your heart and life.

Dr. JJ

4.0 out of 5 stars I was skeptical, but not anymore..., November 27, 2008
Jeff Borden (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have to admit that I was skeptical when I was told about this book by a friend; three days later I received an email from the book's publisher with an invitation to review the book. I was still dubious about its format, but was rather intrigued over the fact that I heard the title The Greatest Words Ever Spoken mentioned to me twice in just under 72 hours. Sharing a little about the book might help to explain my doubt and my curiosity. A portion of the book description directly from the editor follows:

"For the first time ever, all of the statements Jesus made in the New Testament have been brought together and organized under more than 200 topics. When you want to know his will in a specific area of life, or you're seeking the answer to a perplexing question, or you are desperate for his encouragement, comfort, or wisdom-you can easily find the help you need."

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but that type of description gets my "spidy-senses" tingling. Maybe I'm just a bit cynical from the saturation of "New and IMPROVED" advertisements that flood our senses from every direction or perhaps I was just a little put off by the sense that the teaching and Spirit of Jesus could be distilled down and marketed as a potion for the answers to life's questions. Nonetheless, my interest had been captured and I agreed to review the book.

I am now into my second month with The Greatest Words Ever Spoken and my feelings about the book have changed dramatically. I am no longer dubious about the content or the method that it has been compiled. In fact, I am very impressed with the accuracy and assignment of the topics (this sharing my opinion) and words spoken by Jesus. While there is some natural overlapping for topics and discourses by Jesus, I did not perceive any agenda or glaring contextual errors on the part of the author. To be sure, I think the author, Steven K. Scott, is to be commended for the effort and detail that he has put into this work. As mentioned, the book is organized by topic; not unlike some of the helps included in the appendices of study Bibles and very similar to the Nave's Topical Bible; it is a meticulously detailed (and time-consuming I'm sure) effort.

My personal observations and takeaways...

I have several thoughts, observations, and personal comments about this book. First, I think it is an excellent addition to the pastor-teacher library. I have used this book in lesson preparation and sermon writing and found it to be a not only a time-saving addition to my resources, but a tool of enlightenment as well. Having the words of Jesus topically indexed has helped me to remember passages that might not have included in my presentations. I also found that it acts as a supplement and support when studying the synoptic gospels (I have a parallel synopsis, Kurt Aland).

Second, I'm finding the topical indexing is useful and edifying as a devotional reading tool. It has been helpful to focus on a single teaching and follow the multiple ways that Jesus presented the thoughts to his disciples.

Another thought I had was how this might be a great suggestion for a book reading group, a devotional opener and conversation starter for a small group, or a supplemental reader for a group or individual practicing the spiritual disciplines.

In my final analysis, I am finding that I enjoy The Greatest Words Ever Spoken very much. With each time that I take the book in hand, I think of additional edifying (as well as practical) uses for it. I am thankful for Steven Scott's efforts and I am confident to recommend the book with the highest of praise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conversing with Jesus, November 19, 2008
It's not very often that a book comes along and makes you want to read or refer to it over and over and over again. An example of this is Prayers that Avail Much; whenever you need to pray but don't have the words, you go to this book and are able to pray the scriptures which means you're praying according to God's will since He is always looking for His word to perform it.

Well, The Greatest Words Ever Spoken, Everything Jesus Said About You, Your Life and Everything Else by Steven K. Scott, is just such a book. The author has compiled all the words actually spoken in the Bible by Jesus (the red text in many versions of the Bible) and divided them under headings by topic. For example, if you want to know everything Jesus ever said about "Love", you look up "Love" in the Table of Contents and find all the scriptures containing Jesus' spoken words on the topic of love, complete with Bible references. Other topic examples are: Pride, Healing, The Spirit Versus the Flesh, Children, Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage, Anger, Compassion, and so very many more. There also is a subject index and a scripture index. The book contains over 1,900 statement of Jesus organized under more than 200 topics. It's so powerful to read all of Jesus' words on a particular subject without intervening scriptures. Many of the scriptures are so familiar to the reader, but when you read all of Jesus' quotes on a certain issue, the familiar scriptures look fresh and different somehow. To be honest, it's almost overwhelming to read Jesus' words this way. It feels like he's speaking to you, literally.

Me: Jesus, why don't I feel the joy I should as a believer?

Jesus: John 10:10 "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." (NKJV) John 15:9-14 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. . . .

This book is over 500 pages long and is a comprehensive and valuable tool for Bible study, prayer, and knowing and doing the will of God. The only drawback is the author uses the New International Version of the Bible almost exclusively. While I understand the NIV is popular as a "reader friendly" version, I'm not fond of this translation for its anti-Semitic bent. That said, this book is still an extremely valuable tool for "conversing with the Master".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource., October 24, 2008
C. Mullins (Charleston, WV USA) - See all my reviews
I love the book both as a personal study and a reference. I love to just read a particular section to learn what Jesus specifically said about a subject or instructed us to do in our lives. I appreciate being able to easily find His words about certain subjects when teaching or ministering to someone. A great reference when talking or working with children and youth. I also bought one as a gift for a Sunday School teacher.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful!!!, July 17, 2010
WARNING
Some of the quotations herein are unintentionally misleading because this book contains only the words of Jesus spoken via His BODY. It does not contain the whole counsel of God's Word, which is found in the ENTIRETY of His Word, ALL of which, was spoken and recorded via Jesus' SPIRIT, through over 40 different human authors, over 1500 years. Therefore, please seek the whole counsel of God's Word, which is found in the ENTIRETY of His Word, before drawing any conclusions.
EXAMPLE:
Jesus told His disciples point-blank that there was more that they needed to know, but they could not bear it at that time He was speaking to them: John 16(HCSB)12 "I still have many things to tell you, but you can't bear them now. 13 When the Spirit of truth comes, He will guide you into all the truth. For He will not speak on His own, but He will speak whatever He hears. He will also declare to you what is to come. 14 He will glorify Me, because He will take from what is Mine and declare it to you." So to only include the words that Jesus spoke via His BODY, and to exclude the rest of the Word He spoke and recorded via His SPIRIT, through human authors, can be misleading.
EXAMPLE:
Page 91-92, Matthew 19(HCSB)17-21 is quoted, but the CONTEXT in which Jesus spoke these words is not given, and as a result, these quotes could easily mislead the reader into believing God's Law must be followed in order to gain eternal life. Jesus' words quoted here are in the CONTEXT of His response to a rich young ruler's question, "Teacher, what good must I do to have eternal life?" Matt 19:16. While it is true that anyone asking what THEY must do to have eternal life, should be told, "If you want eternal life based on WHAT YOU DO, then you are going to have to follow God's Law perfectly, but if you want eternal life based on WHAT JESUS DID FOR YOU, then you merely need to acknowledge your helplessness to perfectly keep God's Law and accept Jesus' fulfillment of God's Law on your behalf by His finished work in: taking on a human body; allowing His body to be sacrificed for your sin; defeating satan, rising from the dead; and ascending to our Father." Therefore, verses 17-21, without verse 16, are misleading. Further, they are misleading without the words Jesus spoke and recorded via His SPIRIT, through a human author, Paul, in many places in God's Word, for example, Galatians 5(HCSB) 4 "You who are trying to be justified by the law are alienated from Christ; you have fallen from grace."

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful blessing, March 12, 2012
This book is so great that I have given away over thirty of them. The paper back is so thin that you can easily take it anywhere with you. You get to read what Jesus has to say about every life situation. When you see all his words compiled it makes it so much easier to realize just how he wanted to give us a "how to" for life. Most of my life I had found myself saying, if only when we were born we could have had an owners manual sent with us. Well, I have found one!!!

I would recommend this book to everyone. I do Christian counseling and every one of my clients have received one. I never charge for them because it is such a blessing for everyone. There is even a child who reads it all the time, she has made a point of going to bed half hour early every night so she has that time to spend reading the Lord's words for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heard about the book over the radio...., March 27, 2009
I heard a book review over the radio... This is the first time I ever heard of the author so my review is from a newbie point of view...

I really liked the book even though you can't read it from beginning to end. It acts more of a reference book. If you would like to learn about a certain topic and how/what the Bible says about it this is a great book.

I recently began more involved with the Couples for Christ Ministry and this is quite helpful. There was a talk that need my involvement and the topic was Repentance and Faith. I looked in the table of contents and there was the "Examples of Faithfulness" section and gave several verses that involves the topic. It also arranges it by the Gospels so Matthew would be first then Mark and so on.

I plan to give this to family members as a gift. I would especially recommend this book to those who are starting off to getting to know the Lord better. I'm the type of person that goes "I remember a reading something in the bible that...." but simply cant remember what verse it was.

I hope this book helps you as it did me.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Index, Contents Lacking Detail, July 19, 2013
I had the book in print and loved it. The most beneficial aspect of the paper book is its organization, content and index detail for researching Jesus words on certain topics. Can't do it with the E version. Contents are just chapter numbers and there is no index. It's virtuously useless. I made the mistake of buying it assuming it would be like the paper version. I love the paper version and give it 5 stars. Can't use the E version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to read, March 29, 2010
Marie Smith (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book as used. The book was in great condition with no marks in it. I bought it to increase my relationship with Jesus and it has proven to do just that. It is well written and easy to use. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Words Ever Spoken, March 10, 2009
The Greatest Words Ever Spoken: Everything Jesus Said about You, Your Life, and Everything Else
This is a powerful, well-organized book that directs reader to any topic of interest. I would recommend a copy of this book in every household for inspiration, consolation, and a source of strength needed in the world today.

The Greatest Words Ever Spoken: Everything Jesus Said About You, Your Life, and Everything Else (Thinline Ed.)
Used & New from: $3.95