on September 5, 2001
Format: Paperback
This book is fine for what it is, a compendium of information about buying 'green', from toys to pet supplies.
Its premise is wrong, however -- buying green is only the thinnest of band-aids atop our monstrous systemic problems of overconsumption and non-sustainable production. I dislike this brand of recycling effort because it shifts responsibility for the environment almost entirely upon the consumer. Certainly it is laudable to be responsible and aware of environmental issues in our buying choices, but the fact of the matter is that perhaps 1% or 2% of waste is directly generated by consumers. The remainder is generated during various production and transportation processes leading up to the sale. Trying to wade through thousands of products in an attempt to buy green simply obscures that key fact. Naturally that's in the interest of corporations themselves, who are all for having municipalities and private citizens bear the brunt of recycling labor and expense -- yet another cost of production successfully externalized out into the community.
This kind of book should simply be unnecessary -- ALL products should be 'green'. It is simply common sense: our resources are finite, but our systems are geared toward infinitely-growing production and consumption. Clearly, our systems must change such that the great majority of products are sustainably produced.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on December 5, 2003
Format: Paperback
I've had this book for almost 10 years! It is still on my "priority" bookshelf, where other books have been demoted to the basement or given away.
The book is organized into easy shopping sections; automobiles, food/groceries, pets, home energy, etc. It makes it easy to find information quickly.
It offers many fast facts that are easy to read and informative. I still quote from the book (as a matter of fact I'm here because I pulled the book today from the shelf to get the statistic on percentage of pesticides used to make food LOOK good....the number is 40%).
I took one star off the rating because it IS 10 years old now and it really needs an updating.
If you're looking for ways to be a better green consumer and want to learn along the way...this fabulous book is for you!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again