Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

100%

on June 30, 2009
It's a shame this is the only way to watch THE GREEN HORNET these days. I have vague memories of watching the show as a young child. Today, I still admire the concept behind the series and characters: lots of action with fisticuffs flying instead of bullets, cool kung fu action from the incomparable Bruce Lee, an intelligent crime-fighting duo working together as a team, and the Black Beauty car fitted out with as many nifty gadgets as any auto in a James Bond film.

With all that said, I'm glad I'd read previous reviews of this "movie" and therefore had some warning. It is three episodes joined together without any sort of continuity between them. Fair enough. However, you should know that there are a few action scenes spliced into the story action that have clearly been pulled from elsewhere and are present simply to help lengthen the "movie." The first one that I noticed was fairly unobtrusive. The second one featured a baddy in a white jumpsuit rather than the metallic "spacesuit" the others were wearing, plus Bruce Lee was fighting with him in a burning warehouse of cotton bales which was a total location jump. Then there's the lengthener that's the real stinker, where suddenly Reid and Kato are abducting some Caucasian guy and hypnotizing him in "The Tangerine Room." It's jarring, interrupts an excellent storyline about protection rackets and tong warfare set in China town, features a character obviously not in this episode, and makes no sense whatsoever.

Even so, I am grateful to find even this much Green Hornet material. Too bad we can't have the whole season released so we could enjoy the program as it was meant to be seen.

As for the bonus material: if you're a fan of the Black Beauty (the Hornet's rocket-fitted Chrysler Imperial) then you might enjoy seeing the creator of the car and how it was saved from rusty neglect and restored. There's also a montage of trailers from the show and a Bruce Lee film that again have been stuck together without much cohesion except to show Lee in action.

A pity the bonus material doesn't include the very interesting screen test for Lee when he was auditioning for this show.
on March 22, 2010
From reading reviews on what is available on DVD from the Green Hornet, I decided on this DVD. I figured the the quality wouldn't be that great, but just to see the old Green Hornet TV series would be a thrill(it was one of my favorite shows), and the documentary on the Black Beauty would be a nice added feature. Well, I was right about the quality of the video. It's grainy and not very sharp. Also very dark at times. Even though the quality wasn't that good, it was good seeing the Green Hornet & Kato kick butt again. All the episodes on the DVD had pretty decent story lines except the last 2. The last 2 episodes were really rather dumb and a little chopped up...scenes didn't flow together. Unfortunately, my copy of this DVD didn't include the documentary on the Black Beauty, which was a major disappointment for me. Without this documentary, I feel this DVD is not worth (...).(The seller claims it does have the documentary on it. I have returned the DVD to have the seller review it and either instruct me on how to find the documentary, produce a copy that does, or just issue a refund. I will update this review if I'm provided a copy of the DVD that does have the Black Beauty documentary on it.)
UPDATE/April 6th:
After the Seller review the copy of "The Green Hornet" DVD I returned to him, he confirmed that it didn't have the "Black Beauty" documentary on it. He sent me out another DVD which does have the documentary on it along with a trailer for the "Green Hornet" movie. The documentary on the "Black Beauty" is pretty interesting and a welcome addition for die hard fans of the "Green Hornet". This DVD will do until someone in Hollywood wakes up and puts out a remaster box set of "the Green Hornet" like it deserves.
One side note, here's the response from the Seller to my "Seller Feedback":Seller Response: "THIS IS A BOGUS PRODUCT REVIEW.I PERSONALLY OWN A COPY OF THE GREEN HORNET,SO I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE BLACK BEAUTY DOCUMENTARY IS INCLUDED.THE DESCRIPTION ON THE BACK OF THE DVD PACKAGING DOESN'T MENTION THE DOCUMENTARY,HOWEVER WHEN YOU PUT THE ACTUAL DVD IN YOU'LL SEE IT'S THERE.APPARENTLY THIS CUSTOMER DECIDED TO POST A REVIEW WITHOUT EVEN OPENING THE DVD TO WATCH IT!" Date: March 20, 2010
on August 26, 2011
A must have movie for Bruce Lee fans
and fans of super hero crime fighters,
that is, until the television show is
released on DVD.

This "movie" is actualy a montage
of the television show from the 1960's.
It does not work as a movie because
there is no continuity of theme.

It is fun to watch for me,
primarily because there are a lot
good martial arts moves by the master.

The Green Hornet and Cato are the same type
of urban crime-fighting duo as are
the more well-known Batman and Robin.
They have a (somewhat) secret lair
that they operate out of,
a cool car (the Black Beauty),
and lead a double life.
The show is presented in much the same way
as the Batman and Robin television series
of the 1960's, but without the same level
of high camp.
B & R is a much better show overall,
but, sorry Burt Ward, you're no Bruce Lee.