Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 5, 2012
This was a disappointment compared to Boutenko's "Green Smoothie Revolution." I was looking for GREEN Smoothie recipes. What this book contains, largely, are FRUIT smoothie recipes that the author tells us to add some greens to. For virtually all of her "green" recipes, she does not tell us which specific greens go nicely with the rest of the fruit ingredients of the given recipe. And she gives no quantities. So if you are looking for 300! distinct GREEN smoothie recipes, you'll need to go elsewhere.
2121 comments|436 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2012
I was only interested in the recipes and had to flip through the first half of the book to get to them, but for beginners, that first half offers a lot of information about raw-food eating.

As other readers have mentioned, the recipes are very well organized. You can go according to season, but there are sections for kid-friendly smoothies, dessert smoothies, savory ones and many others; for weight loss, mood, longevity, cellular health, bones and joints etc.

Kristine's Australian raw food friends offer guest recipes, however these require a long list of ingredients and a lot of specific products available through their websites. I haven't bothered with these because the four or five ingredient recipes of Kristine's are more than sufficient.

The back of the book features several informative websites for yet more information and recipes, so you get a lot of value.

The only disappointment is that there is no appendix. I wish ingredients were cross-referenced for easy reference. I'd like to find recipes with what I have on hand or feel like eating, rather than skimming the whole book every time.

Otherwise, in every way, this is a great book.
0Comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2012
This is the tenth green smoothie book I've bought. It's GOT to be my last!

The book opens with with an excellent, easy-to-understand tutorial on everything you need to know about incorporating green smoothies into your diet. This section is not overly long-winded, as in similar books. As might be expected, there is a hard sell towards consuming a high-raw-foods diet. The author discloses her favorite appliance for green smoothies, and it's not one of the two big names in high-speed blenders! She also discusses her favorite brand of superfood, and why.

What I like most about this book is that the author categorizes recipes according to specific benefits. For example, she has some blends meant for enhancing bone health, high-fiber, cardiovascular health, high-antioxidant, low glycemic load, etc. A short introduction to each section explains the author's understanding of said condition which gives rise to how and why the recipes were developed as such. Yes, other authors offer a smoothie for better skin, but it may just be lumped in with other sorts of recipes. There are other types of categories, too, like savory smoothies and dessert smoothies.

Each recipe is meant to render about 1 liter of green smoothie, or two servings. The recipes are way too fruit-heavy for my personal liking. I wouln't eat that much fruit out of hand. If you're like me and would like to use less fruit, I recommend The Healthy Green Drink Diet: Advice and Recipes to Energize, Alkalize, Lose Weight, and Feel Great I acknowledge that if you're new to green smoothies or want to teach your kids to freak out (and maybe enlighten) their friends, than these recipes would be just the thing!

Most of the recipes have ingredients that are easily found. There is minimal exotica; mostly that green superfood she likes. I also don't believe I can get my hands on a tamarillo. A little bit of maca, yacon syrup, and mesquite powder-very little. If you're not up to using that stuff, you can still get plenty of mileage out of this book.

This book is recommended for beginners switching to a high-raw diet using green smoothies. If you're a veteran at drinking 10-ingredient smoothies from, say, Victoria Boutenko's books, most of these recipes will seem really simplistic. I'd say this book would be of supplemental use, but worthwhile.
55 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2012
I bought this book, because a friend had been drinking green smoothies for about a month and loved how she was feeling. This is one of two books on green smoothies that I bought. I wanted a lot recipes and I love getting different perspectives from different authors. What I love about the book is that she gives you information on different herbs, how to grow sprouts and how to make different nut milks.

What I loved best is how I feel. I sleep like a rock. I'm having a lot less stomach issues...IBS. My energy level is way up. Because I have more energy I'm more likely to go to the gym after work.

Most people like to have their smoothie for breakfast. I make a big batch enough for a two to three days. I pour them in two to three large water bottles. This is so all I have to do is grab my smoothie on my way out the door and drink it either on my way to work or at work. Check the thickness of your smoothie before you leave your house is you plan to drink your smoothie on your way to work. Green smoothes tend to thicken up especially if you use apples. Just add some water until you reach the thickness of you choice. I still love my cup of coffee in the morning. When you first start making your smoothies keep it simple and use the fruits and greens you like. As you start to feel confident they you will start adding different greens. Buy a good blender, but don't feel obligated to spend a ton of money on a blender. I have a small group of friends that are blending. I bought a KitchenAid blenderKitchenAid KSB565SM 5-Speed Blender with 48-Ounce Glass Jar, Silver Metallic that cost me $99. My main reason was because of the size and reviews of this blender. One friend is using her $40 blender. You will have days when you are not in mood to make a smoothie, however you have to just make yourself make a batch. I literally take 5 to 10 min and your body will thank you. Create a habit of making your smoothies. I've lost weight, I sleep better, I have a lot PMS and IBS issues. My cholesterol has gone down and I crave meat a lot less. I buy my greens for the store and farmers markets. When fresh fruit on sale I buy extra bag the fruit in serving size bags and toss them in the freezer...this way I always have some fruit at hand. You can buy frozen fruit just check to for added sugar. I like to add stevia to sweeten my smoothies. It is normal to feel a nausea at first, this is because you body is detoxifying.

What is so great about this book is that it takes the fear out of making green smoothies. You will want to keep learning more and more on how green smoothies can improve your health. Remember KISS Keep It Simple Silly (Stupid)
on May 13, 2013
The book is in two parts: Part one is about Green Smoothies. Everything you need to know about what, how, when, where, varieties, what to use, and all kinds of info that will help you become a very good smoothier. She explains much in a short 102 pages in this part. This will help you out even if you already think you know it all! Part two lists 300 recipes broken down into categories of smoothie making as follows...spring, summer, autumn, winter, antioxidants, bowel, weight loss, fussy about fruit and many more catigories as such. The author had the recipes broken down into 26 catogories. The recipes are in general very good with one minor problem that I had with them. When it came to the greens, the author did not specify which greens to use nor at what quantity, thus leaving it up to you. This is why I took 1 point off the rating. Persons who do not have experience in smoothie making could use to much or two little and mess up their smoothie experience. Otherwise, I like the book and use it quite often and do recommend it as it has much info that even newbies can use in part one. I liked many of the recipes and experimenting with different greens was fun and at times a bitter experience but was satisfying overall.
on November 15, 2013
Not really impressed with this book. I was looking for something that gave information for each smoothie. Like if you follow the measurements it will have X amount of calories, protein, etc.. This information is not included and even a lot of the measurements are kind of vague. No pictures, complicated recipes including ingredients you will really have to spend a lot of money on to make a few smoothies consecutively. If you don't live next to a market selling lots of fresh fruits and veggies then it could become quite the chore trying to keep everything on hand required for a lot of what's in this book.
on July 14, 2013
Love this book!! Was tired of the usually and this book gives great guidelines and recipes to assist you in becoming a great smoothie maker and move you into a healthily and advance smoothie nut!! If you follow some of the guideline and work within your comfort zone... You will be pushing through your smoothie plateau and moving into a healthier lifestyle without stress!! I have given this book to several of my clients, (I am a private personal trainer) and it has assisted them in creating a healthier food environment for themselves and their families!! This year I am giving it to all my clients and friends who are trying to make transition in their food habits.
Highly Recommend!!
on February 23, 2012
My Dr. said I wasn't eating enough green leafy veggies. I like smoothies & I watched a movie called "Fat, Sick & nearly dead" but felt that was too extreme for me. But it gave me the idea to add spinach or other greens to my smoothies. I loved them. Was substituting a meal for 16-24 Oz of green smoothies. I was eating less because I was so full. But then I burned out & I didn't want any more. This book explains that & so much more. Wonderful recipes, insight and easy to read.
on April 23, 2013
I am a newbie to smoothies and was looking for options to create new recipes. Yes, you get them in this book, but the pages and pages of nutrient history benefits, then recipes in each chapter, rendered this book to useless, as a quick reference guide to me. So I rate it okay, but not for a go to quick recipe guide.
on July 14, 2015
If you don't know much about plant-based health, some of this book might be helpful... but there are a lot of other books that communicate the info much better. If you are looking for a good smoothie cookbook, I like 365 Vegan Smoothies much better - and it includes a green smoothie section. This book has no photographs, and the type in the paperback version is very hard to read. Half the book is about health concerns. The recipes given do not give specific measurements in many cases. The type of greens needed for the recipes is not specified. I appreciate that this allows the reader to use whichever greens are handy and in season. There is a huge variety in flavors between different greens, and some combos can be vile.