on October 4, 2007
Verified Purchase
If this ain't Gothic Lolita, I don't know what is !

The 1st season of the hit series "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy" is now finally on a two-disc DVD set with a whole lotta episodes on there starring the mean-spirited Mandy, the moronic Billy, and of course, The Grim Reaper himself. Such episodes include:

"Meet the Reaper" - The original pilot episode that started it all. As Grim attempts to reap the soul of a hamster named Mr. Snuggles, the two kids strike a deal with him, which he lost to.

"Fiend Is Like Friend Without the 'R'" - Introducing Nergal, a creepy being from the center of the earth, who kidnaps Billy and Mandy to be his friends. Soon Grim becomes concerned and reluctantly rescues them.

"Grim Or Gregory" - A case of mistaken identity on Halloween night has Grim confused with another kid in a reaper costume !

"Beasts and Barbarians" - A major inspiration to the video game, Grim transports the kids into another dimension where they battle bigger-than-life monsters in order to cure their gaming addictions.

"Hoss Delgado: Spectral Exterminator" - The first appearance of this tough guy who discovers and attempts on capturing the Grim Reaper.

"To Eris Human" - Introducing the sexy Goddess of Chaos, Eris, who takes Mandy as her minion leaving Grim feeling rather dumped.

"Toadblatt's School of Sorcery" - The first "Harry Potter" parody episode with its weird magic and other strange creatures. 'Nuff said.

"Brown Evil" - A two-parter where Billy cooks up some brownies that attracts a humongous horde of zombies ! It's up to Hoss Delgado to stop them.

"Creating Chaos" - One of the funniest episodes, Eris now recruits Billy to spread her chaos upon the globe. Unfortunately, Billy himself is a little more chaotic than her magic apple can do.

"Tween Wolf" - The hapless Irwin transforms into a werewolf which Billy adopts as his new pet.

"Love Is EVOL Spelled Backwards" - Nergal returns and attempts to marry Billy's Aunt Sis. Let's just hope Billy doesn't have that freak as his uncle.

This new set has an overload of bonus features like a commentary and an interview with series creator Maxwell Atoms, plus the "Brains" music video as seen in the classic episode "Little Rock of Horrors". The weirdest special features in the second disc include an episode in "Burp-O-Rama" and a virtual pet Mr. Snuggles. Perhaps the best bonus feature of all in the set is the 2 "Evil Con Carne" bonus episodes with optional "Skarr-O-Vision" feature. (I wish, however, they put in ALL of the "Evil Con Carne" episodes in the set. Then we can have "Grim and Evil" again !)

So if you've been waiting for this set to come by, get it while you still can. One thing's for sure, this is one series that will let you look Death in the eye... and laugh real hard. I really REALLY hope the rest of the "Billy and Mandy" series will be put on DVD real soon. But in the meantime, look for brand-new "Grim Adventures" episodes Friday nights on Cartoon Network's all-new "Fried Dynamite" block.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 24, 2007
Verified Purchase
THANK YOU CARTOON NETWORK!!

TGAoB+M is the best animated show for dark humor and adult wit,with the same amount of silliness for the kid in all of us!

While this set claims to only contain 13 episodes,it in fact offers alot more:

When Billy and Mandy first started out as "Grim and Evil",they were usualy
only two episodes of Billy and Mandy and one Hector Con Carne show.With this release,we are given three adventures of Billy and Mandy for every one episode (with the exception of two episodes) giving you a grand total of 37 different Grim adventures!

On top of all that,you are also given bonus Evil Con Carne episodes!It
really is a terrific value for the set!

One of the most notable Grim adventures on this set is "Little Rock of Horrors" which contains the famous Brains! song from the group Volitare.

We also get to see Grim singing in a goth rock band in "Battle of The Bands"

A demon substitute Mandy for Billy to play with in "Tickle Me Mandy"

Mandy's first encounter with a terrible emotion called "love" in "Crushed"

Irwin becomes a werewolf in "Tween Wolf"

Nergel marries Billy's "Aunt Sis" in "Love is Evol spelled backwards"

We also get introduced to a few characters named Hoss Delgado,Eris the Goddess of Chaos and Dischord,Sperg,Toadblatt and a short-lived romantic soulmate named Malaria!

There's also haunted fudge,showtune singing dinousaurs,an apocolyptic future run by Mandy,Grim's own talk show and a parody of that cruel reality called pokemon.

Well,if you are a fan of the show,and this review hasn't got you drooling yet to go out and buy a copy,then Mandy would sum it up best:

"Hope is wasted on the hopeless"
on June 5, 2012
So this great Cartoon Network show was on for about 5 or 6 seasons-- why the heck have they only produced the first season on DVD?
The episode "Home of the Ancients" was hilarious and an instant toon classic. I can't recall what season it was, but I know it wasn't the first season.
I do own the first season, and I can say that the show only got better as it went along-- was very sorry to see it be discontinued.
Cartoon Network, why are you depriving the rest of the world (because there are quite a few people who would love GABM and never got to experience it) from Fred Fredburger, Dracula, The Prank Call of Cthulu, Irwin's Grandmama, Billy's dad, and all of the other hijinks of horror? For shame...
on July 4, 2007
I love this show it's funny and spooky! I adore Mandy's dark personality it's humorous considering she's wearing such a cute pink dress! Grim I feel sorry for him. I think mandy is more evil than he is!
This show is so great I love it more than Scooby Doo and Courage the Cowardly Dog put together!
It's the best Show on Cartoon Network I'll buy this series before Cartoon Network stops playing it all together!
on January 8, 2008
Verified Purchase
This is one of the best cartoons ever created. It is dark and cynical for adults to appreciate and cute and funny enough so kids don't fully understand.

The reason for my subject heading is that Cartoon Network has decided to cancel the show after 78 episodes. I use to really look forward to new episodes and now it's over. Obviously, Cartoon Network has made a huge mistake. I only hope that they come to their senses and bring it back.

If you haven't seen this cartoon, do yourself a favor and watch a few episodes. I will admit that they're not all gems but a good 85% are worth watching and re-watching.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 19, 2007
Verified Purchase
This show rates with Invader Zim and Futurama. It is a high-point of Western Civilization in the 3rd millenium. If Robot Chicken had to operate within the constraints of a pre-teen viewership, it might be this good. As good as The Tick animated, really.

So, yeah, buy the first season, that the very slow marketing folks at Cartoon Network may release further seasons on disk as well as plush toys, coffee mugs, and dried squid. Rave, rave, foam, twitch, repeat. Then light new candles at the nicho of Julie Hashiguchi.
on March 31, 2014
Verified Purchase
I've always loved dark and unusual shows as a child, and a show where children befriend the Grim Reaper, that description alone is the best. It's up there in my childhood favorites.

I'm glad that this release had the original episodes from "Grim & Evil" along with the some of the episodes from the first real Season of the separate series because I had no idea if Cartoon Network would remember those in the mix. I was also pleased to find some episodes of "Evil Con Carne" as bonus features.

I wish Cartoon Network would release Seasons 2-6 as well, but if their record for releasing any show beyond two seasons is anything, it won't happen -- the only ones I can think of where they did is "Powerpuff Girls" or that cringeworthy abomination of a show "Johnny Test". So if you're in for more; be ready to waste some GBs on your computer and get the iTunes releases...
on November 9, 2007
Verified Purchase
Yep, I'm one of those guys that uses his kids as an excuse to still watch cartoons and buy cool stuff at toy stores and stuff. A 38yo still man still laughing at toilet humor ... that's good right?! Well according to this show it is (along with every other "adult friendly" cartoon). I mean come on, Warner Bros isn't able to ask $40 - $50 this time every year to sell the Looney Tunes in unedited form unless what was funny in the 1930's is still funny in the 21st century!!!

I'm proud to say my kids have been introduced into the complexities of modern life with a role models like Billy & Mandy!!! Sure, Mandy doesn't have a nose and Billy is , well ... stupid, but look at what they are able to do both as a team and as individuals.

Mandy has that grim (heh, heh; I said "grim") determination in life that you gotta have to survive and that's always the trait of a hero! And Billy doesn't let the cares of the world stack up against him, he just goes with the flow ... right down the toilet!!!!

Love 'em!!! Just love 'em both!!! They are just 2 little angels from Heaven who just happened to have tricked the Grim Reaper into hanging around with them!!!
on October 12, 2008
Verified Purchase
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy is as good as the classic Warner Bros cartoons. They are less innocent, however; the show is cynical in the comic extreme, but it leaves us no bitter taste any more than Bugs Bunny left us shocked from the violence.

Being season 1, the show hasn't quite hit its stride, but it's still worth five stars in my book.

I find the extras to be largely infantile and pointless, and I'd take away a half-star for that. Hopefully before the next seasons' DVDs are produced, the makers will watch the Futurama DVDs and understand how things should be done.

Extras notwithstanding, the DVD was worth the price.
on November 20, 2009
Verified Purchase
If you love to laugh hard, this is the DVD for you! I'm a grown woman, and still find this hillarious! From the first episode, where the all-powerful Grim Reaper gets tricked in to being 2 kids' best friend FOREVER, to the kids running him ragged with household chores. Who knew it was possible for Grim to mow the lawn in those robes? Then, there's Billy and Mandy. One's just a complete idiot, and the other one, a totally merciless being. Who knew it was possible for Mandy the Terrible to fall in love? Or, for Billy to keep a werewolf as a pet? It's all here, everybody!