Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Beyonce Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on July 18, 2003
Gross, outdated, crude, disgusting, a little drawn out in spots, and one of the funniest films ever! Mostly carried by Ken Shapiro & Richard Belzer, the film blasts away typical TV programming in rapid funny fashion. From the hilarious 2001 opening spoof to the Koko the clown sketch, the dealers (which hangs on too long after the great movie theatre scene), the News, the olympics, and safety sam, it's pure fun. One other recurring performer is Chevy Chase in the Geritan commercial, one of the highpoints of the film, as well as the fingers, and a quirky rendition of Four Leaf Clover. It's no Academy Award winner, and it isn't as clever or classy as SNL, but it's good for gross-out humor lovers. It's a classic that has been followed by, or in some cases imitated by Tunnelvision, Kentucky Fried Movie and Amazon Women On The Moon. Check it out!
on March 8, 2013
This was the first R-rated movie I ever saw without a parent or guardian, for my 16th birthday. It was funny, even hilarious, and I was very happy to be able to get this on DVD finally.

I shared it with my girlfriend a couple of days after it arrived, as she'd seen it during its original theatrical run, too. The jokes don't wear quite as well, so it would get only two or three stars for that. Still, the nostalgia factor, and seeing just how many of the sketches were later "borrowed" by others, ramps it up to four stars. One of the most notable borrowings was the news program, showing bizarre clips of weird stories, which we saw used by Chevy Chase on SNL the following year, under the Weekend Update banner. Chase and Richard Belzer are the only two people I recognized from the cast when watching it again, but this is some of their funniest early stuff.

If you haven't watched the movie before, I would have to say that the older you are the more likely you are to appreciate and enjoy the humor. Younger viewers might need some explanation of what's being parodied, unless they've had a lot of exposure to humor from the 70's and 80's already. Not for kids, by the way. There is ample nudity throughout, and a lot of sexual humor tossed in. The Groove Tube is less irreverent than it was before, but only because it raised the bar (some would say lowered the standards) for humor in television and movies.
on April 11, 2005
Oh...........where do I begin. Just one of the most nasty,raunchy funny as hell movies. Between the Talking,"package" warning you about VD and other diseases you could contract...as if he had some experence with the subject! And lets not forget Koko the clown,...that caught me of guard...jees...a clown reading the most raunchy part of a romance novel, and the sex olempics,... MY GOD! Great movie if you love SNL type skits,NUDE WOMEN,twisted humor and as a bonus you get to see some of your favorite stars (Richard Belzer, Chevy Chase) before they were household names. Highly recomended!*****
on January 16, 2005
I will defend this movie.

Sure, it's low budget. Undoubtedly, it's crude and vulgar. At times, it's just brilliant satire. Nonetheless, "The Groove Tube" maintains a very consistent level of humor. Often times, it's just downright outrageous, and I cry. And, it's all done without a large Hollywood budget or concerns for political correctness which nows infests American society. Hell, back then political correctness was just being conceived. There's an abortion I would have happily supported.

Thirty years later, the humor is still relevant. The humor is still cutting edge. Nothing is sacred. I can only imagine the outrage, if this film were to be released today. Planned Parenthood would be screaming for litigation.

I will admit two things. The drug dealer sequence is boring; it just doesn't fit in and hurts the flow of the film. Secondly, I have sat in a room of people and was the only one laughing hysterically.

It's a little bit National Lampoon and a little bit Saturday Night Live at it's prime.
on February 24, 2007
I'll probably revise this later because it's been many years since I saw this. But back in the 70's this was a late night and drive in favorite. Like I said I haven't seen it for many years and I'm guessing that it's probably not as funny as it used to be afer a few tokes, but I think it'll still be worth a watch because this was the beginning of the kind of humor we found later in SNL. Much of the humor is subtle and can easily go over your head if you're not aware of what's going on, but if you are then there's a lot of fun here. In fact I still remember having to take a second look at the end VD talk to realize what that puppet actually was...It was the absurdity that made it so funny....
on January 7, 2003
Ken Shapiro's movie is comedic genius.
If you're old enough to remember Ed Herlihy's voiceovers for the Kraft Kitchen bits on Perry Como, the Kramp Kitchen hits home. The rock steady voiceover, the ridiculous recipe and Shapiro's frenetic hands are so funny that I have to turn away to catch my breath.
Granted that this isn't a slick comedy by today's standards but it is very original and hilarious to the right viewer.
By the way, for the Kentucky Fried Movie fans, it probably isn't an accident that KFM came out three years after Groove Tube.
Note to Mr. Shapiro - wherever you are, Thanks for the Laughs!
on April 26, 2013
I was looking for a movie that featured a gorilla with a TV for a head that communicated with sound bites and some friends suggested this. Not what I was looking for but very interesting. Chevy Chase, Richard Belzer and enough nudity to please any 9 year-old. Classic sketch comedy with an edge, fun movie.

MOPOP
on March 19, 2014
The audio is 2-3 seconds off for the entire movie and it even has the same tracking errors you would get on VHS. The wife and I wondered if this was just ripped off someones old VHS recording. The movie itself is funny but the quality of this release is so terrible it is not worth watching.
on July 9, 2002
Anyone who doesn't get the humor in this classic needs to get a life. Bad taste? No kidding! One of the funniest movies of all time. Complaints about the lack of dvd extras are pointless since the movie's budget was so small, we all are lucky to have the movie itself to enjoy. Is there any film out there that takes you back to the carefree days of hippiedom better than this one? Okay, I'm really nostalgic since I saw it at the age of 13 (along with Flesh Gordon), and was infatuated with the girl in the VeeDub for about 2 years. Also, I think I may be related to Koko the clown... Seriously, I somehow got the email of Lane Sahronson (the assassin, the cop and the movie's co-writer) and he was told me what a blast it was to make the film and that he wasn't in touch with Ken Shapiro any longer (too bad- I would love a sequel). Think I'll get my copy out tonight, crack open a Butz beer and 'move on up.' Groovy!
on April 10, 2014
I remember laughing hysterically at this movie when it first came out in the 70's. Some of the bits are still good, but unlike Kentucky Fried Movie, Airplane, Naked Gun, Caddyshack and other classics, much of this film seems dated and not nearly as great as I remember it. One of the greatest scenes is "Koko the Clown", a spoof of children's shows of the era. It is still a classic.