5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome web series, even if you're not a geek
Published on December 23, 2011 by The Victor

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality DVD---Better after exchanged, but not good enough
I love The Guild, however I absolutely hate this DVD. This manufacture on demand DVD-R is horrid. Between my 2 computers, PS3, and 3D Bluray player I have 6 ways to to play this DVD and each reproduces the same problems. When each episode starts the audio takes a few seconds to start so parts of dialog are missing and when the episodes end it cuts off a few seconds...
Published on February 5, 2012 by K. C. Willett

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome web series, even if you're not a geek, December 23, 2011
This review is from: The Guild: Season 5 (DVD)
The Guild series just keep getting better and better. Even if you're not a geek, or haven't played multiplayer online games (MMORPGs), the wit, humor, and sarcasm of this series will leave you laughing LOL. If you are-- or know-- any of the above, it's even better. Felicia Day and her gang of misfit gamer buddies take the show on the road and raid a gaming convention. Heady pokes at the gaming industry, gamers, and geek conventions (ComicCon, DragonCon, MegaCon etc) abound. Sprinkle that with the usual social ineptness and pseudosexual tensions and neuroses of the Knights of Good, and you've got a verry enjoyable-- and HI-Larious-- romp through modern gamer culture. The guest star cameos really show what kind of support an indie webshow filmmaker with the brilliance of Felicia Day deserves-- even if you're not a Nathan Fillion fan (and who isn't). And as we say in the South, the cast are just precious... These are released on internet a la Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (also a must see with Felicia Day) and are initially funded through internet viewing hits on the two (three if you count a gaming console) websites that host them, but then at long last are released on DVD so you can view them when the internet is down-- or if you don't have internet, like in our neck of the woods where the chicken houses will get internet before we do. Right, Amy? Robin? Buy one, buy all. You'll laugh so hard your heart will grow three sizes.

4.0 out of 5 stars What's the difference?, February 21, 2012
This review is from: The Guild: Season 5 (DVD)
What's the difference between this release and the one that's already out? The one that came out in December is bleeped and the ad for this one says "unrated", so maybe that's it. Also the current one's sound is out of sync on one ep, so i guess i'll be buying this all over again. :(

If you haven't bought S5 already, i'd suggest waiting for this one. Great show, just would have preferred only to have had to buy it once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great show - terrible quality DVD, March 16, 2012
N. Brunk (Arlington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Guild: Season 5 (DVD)
I'm a huge fan of The Guild, and I enjoyed this season as much as the others. The DVD quality is pretty poor - the last few seconds of every episode is cut off which is a little frustrating. Still, it's worth watching and enjoyable - the characters are up to their old hijinks and much entertainment is to be had. The A-list-geek cameos are amazing and are really a highlight of the season.

4.0 out of 5 stars Season Five Takes To The Road: "The Guild" Universe Expands With This Official DVD Release, March 1, 2012
This review is from: The Guild: Season 5 (DVD)
Those in love with Felicia Day and the wacky web world of her series "The Guild" should be thrilled with the arrival of Season Five on an official DVD. While I understand there was some displeasure with the sound and image quality of the recent DVD-R (a disc pressed on-demand when someone orders the product), I'm pleased to report no such technical issues with the official release available commercially on March 13. So as the product pages can sometimes get mixed up on this site, make sure you are opting for the pre-packaged and mass produced version (from Flatiron Films/New Video) and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. If you are shopping for Season Five of "The Guild," I'll assume that you are already familiar with the premise of the show. But let's just say that things are a bit different for our cast of misfits with these twelve episodes. This year, the action takes to the road as our crew head to a big gaming convention.

With this substantial change in format and the expansion of "The Guild" universe, this season might be its most divisive yet. I know a few people who didn't love the show veering away from the basics and becoming increasingly chaotic, but most (in my circle) were well on board for the season's absurd delights. The show has always effectively skewered the geek culture of gaming, so it only seems like a natural progression to take it to the next logical step. Day, as always, is an absolute delight but Jeff Lewis, Vincent Caso, Amy Okuda, Sandeep Parikh, and Robin Thorsen round out a diverse supporting cast that is absolutely committed to the madness. Add niche guest stars such as Nathan Fillion, Wil Wheaton, Doug Jones, and Erin Gray and Season Five really plays to its strengths.

As "The Guild" is a web based series, the twelve episodes on this disc only run about an hour and 40 minutes. The Extras boast some decent features: Double Trouble, How to Build A Con, and Steampunk Verite. There is also a short gag reel and an audio commentary featuring much of the primary cast. Also included are requisite cast interview and a behind-the-scenes table read. If you're a big fan, it's some nice bonus footage. At the end of the day, I'm not sure that Season Five represented my favorite, but I liked the chances that it took and it's still darn funny. KGHarris, 3/12.

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite a rather manic start, an excellent fifth season!, December 25, 2011
This review is from: The Guild: Season 5 (DVD)
I don't know if the cast only had the locations for a short time or if they had other time concerns, but the normally rapid-fire dialogue of "The Guild" seems to turn into almost inaudible auctionspeak in the first few season five episodes. I was worried that the cast had lost interest and was just "phoning it in," but I'm glad to say that my paranoia was not justified. Once the major plotlines are established the rhythm is found, the show seems to blast off. Maybe the reason for the hyperactive pace is that Season 5 is positively *crammed* full of cameo appearances. Some of these you may expect and some you will definitely not. It almost seems like spoilers to list them all, so I'll avoid that in case you wait for the DVD releases to watch the whole season for some reason. All of your favorite (main) characters are present and accounted for, but this season they mostly operate on their own. This is another aspect of season five that is off-putting at first, but Felicia Day proves once again that she can write "geeks with hearts of gold" and manages to bring the Guild together for a stunning finale.

Most of the drama of this season (and a lot of the laughs) comes for the ever-developing relationship between Codex (Day) and Tink (Amy Okuda). These two are a blast to watch as a pair. Tink is her usual acerbic self, but finds herself sharing secrets with Codex, only to have Codex light the road to relationship hell with her good intentions. The plot with Codex and The Game's designer is less interesting, besides serving to move the drama forward later in the arc. However, as a writer Day tends to be generous with "the good stuff" and uses Codex mostly as a rallying point anyway, so this is a non-issue.

Vork (Jeff Lewis) teams up with Bladezz (Vincent Caso) in what can only be described as a scam to make money off of Bladezz's sublimely ridiculous internet commercial from Season Four. I like Caso's character because he never seems to learn his lesson. Any time he admits fault is largely by accident, and yet he remains extremely likeable (many fans protested the virtually unknown Caso being fake-ousted from the Guild in Season One). Not much can be said about Jeff Lewis that hasn't already been said. He's just an incredibly funny guy. It must have been really hard to not put Lewis and Parikh together again this season, and I understand the decision to cut back on that pairing, but I don't like it. I'm a greedy fan and I want more.

Clara (Robin Thorsen) gets a solo plot involving a Steam Punk cosplay troop. For what seems like a pretty minor subplot, it pays off in a big way. Clara is definitely something special and I kind of wish she had a another chance to play off the others like she did with Okuda in Season Four. Her childlike sense of fun and self-centered cavorting do clash very well against the cold and haughty cosplayers, though. I'm not sure if this was intended, but Clara has that brilliant "Homer Simpson" appeal. She's a lousy parent, she's not smart, but she finds so much joy in things it's impossible not to like her.

If I had to pick a lamentable subplot it would be Zaboo's (Sandeep Parikh) "seat-savers" arc. It served as a framework to bring in some incredible cameos, and Parikh played Zaboo's Kurtzian insanity *perfectly*, but I really missed the good-natured Zaboo of earlier seasons. Is the arc hilarious? Yes. But I really wanted to see Zaboo grow as a person and come to the conclusions he makes through introspection and development as a grown man instead of rushed lack of interest brought on by ultra-fandom. Day always gets the characters where they need to be, but in this case it feels sort of like a shortcut. I will say it was amazing to see Parikh steal scene after scene no matter who was placed in front of him.

Overall this is another great season of "The Guild." If I seem to be too hard on this little webseries it's because I don't regard it any lower than the scripted network shows with millions of dollars in their budget. Felicia Day and company are simply excellent at what they do and deserve praise as well as honest criticism. This season sort of feels like the end of "The Guild," but let's hope that I'm wrong and there's more to come from these talented people.

***EDIT: I'm not being a doomsayer, it just seems like the end of this season could be considered the "Series Finale" because of where it puts the characters (especially Codex). I'd personally love to see plenty more stories with these characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 9, 2014
LOVE THE GUILD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Felicia Day!, February 11, 2014
This review is from: The Guild: Season 5 (DVD)
What more need I say? Felicia Day is adorable, funny, quirky, her antics are highly entertaining and she is backed by a wonderful cast of actors and actresses who turn gaming clichés into a brilliant webseries.

5.0 out of 5 stars must watch, October 30, 2013
This review is from: The Guild: Season 5 (DVD)
how can you not love this web show? It is amazing! A laugh a minute, and so true to life. What can I say, every gamer must see!

5.0 out of 5 stars i would buy from them again, September 6, 2013
This review is from: The Guild: Season 5 (DVD)
I don't want to have a limit on how many words I have to write in a review, that is one of the reasons I don't take the time to do these on amazon.com. I have a lot to write and I don't feel like writing lengthy reviews on each of them. there for don't expect me to write anything about your co.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, July 27, 2013
This review is from: The Guild: Season 5 (DVD)
I love the Guild! I know that you can see all the episodes online, but I wanted to show my support by buying a DVD copy I love the Guild so much! My wife and I aren't 'hard-core' gamers, but we've both gamed a little, and just rotflol every time we watch the Guild! The reason I only gave 4 stars was because of all the sex jokes and swear words, which means that I still haven't been able to watch these with my sons yet. :(

The Guild: Season 5
The Guild: Season 5 by Sean Becker (DVD - 2012)
$14.95 $8.48
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.