Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on March 17, 2014
I have been a Pentester for over 10 years so when I read The Hacker Playbook I wasn't expecting much difference from the previous books I have read. After finishing the book I was pleasantly surprised to find this is a true playbook. This book covers a pentest from the beginning to the end covering go to techniques to some new ones. This book will be by my side during my next pentest to help me navigate any binds I get in or techniques I forget about.
11 comment58 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2014
Stumbled across this book by accident and have to say that it is a gem. A fantastic book - no fluff here and certainly not like the rest of the books out there on the subject where you find the same high-level info that really doesn't apply to a pentest today. Only 1 or 2 things in this book that I don't already use in my own pentests, which was quite surprising considering that, until now, I hadn't come across a single book with these techniques - techniques that I can profess to use daily in my line of work.

By no means is this book an exhaustive look at penetration testing techniques, but it most certainly includes material that will get you the 'keys to the kingdom' on your target environment 90% of the time [personal experience]. Highly recommend this book for professionals just starting out in the field as well as for any veterans who may have received their penetration testing training from 'traditional' sources.
0Comment40 of 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 16, 2014
This book is a great reference manual, described from the perspectives of a pro. It does not go into details on any subject. Instead it helps the reader to see things in a different perspective. Not recommended for new readers due to the fact that the book starts out with tools, scripts and languages a little higher then beginners level
44 comments49 of 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2014
As an aspiring penetration tester, the knowledge gained from reading this book has been tremendous. From start to finish, it provides a thorough guide into how an experienced pentester moves through an assessment efficiently and methodologically. The knowledge found in this book have been a great learning resource for me. With much of the tactics found in the book being new to me, I have found that it provides a valuable learning experience to practice and get familiar with the tools and methods before utilizing them in real world tests. While other books I have read to get started in the pentesting field have been rather basic, the author goes in depth on the most relevant tools and procedures that I feel can take me to the next level. This book has been a great read and definitely one to keep for reference. Highly recommended!
55 comments28 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2015
Book is a waste, it is written in the same manner I would expect a lazy college student to write a paper. Please do not buy this book.

The Hacker Playbook is primarily composed of vague GUI pictures, large text, large margins and spacing to give the appearance of content. At the end of the day it’s a very loose narration of how Mr. Kim conducts a Pen Test. This one dimensional narration is not informative, creative, or interestingly written. He managed to cram enough pictures of rubbish to bolster the page count to 274. If you were to remove the pictures you’d be left with less than 50 pages on how to do nothing.

This book is not for individuals looking to understand Pen Testing, or even for those already acquainted. Your time and money is better spent elsewhere. You can't compare the content of a book like this to Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide, or open source documentation alternatives.
22 comments14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2014
Cant recommend enough, good content, easy to read. Helped me to pass the OSCP exam
on May 29, 2014
This book hit the nail on the head for me. A lot of it just re affirmed what I already do, but gave me some different ideas on how to approach the same scenarios. I would say this is not a book for the beginner that wants to read one book and dive into attacking boxes, but if they want to start our with some theory and start to build a sold base of knowledge I would say this is a great place to start! Hoping Peter Kim will write another book I will definitely be buying it!
0Comment15 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2014
I didn't really learn anything new from this book how ever it is a nice little reference to keep handy when your in a tight jam and want to jog your memory.

I recommend this book mostly to people who are in the pen-testing business and don't have a lot of time to do their own research and want to get caught up on some of the latest techniques out there.
on April 18, 2014
Whether you are new to pen testing or have been doing this for a while. This book is a great resource. Peter has done an excellent job laying things out in this book in a logical order so it is easy to follow along. I highly recommend this book.
on December 21, 2014
This is a learn by example book that is a nice introduction to the subject of penn-testing, but it's certainly no substitute for experience. The basic lessons that the author harps on (take your time, document your work, think things through, be strategic) are the most important lessons, and it's nice to see a book that respects this practicality.