Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on November 1, 2005
What an inspiring story! I absolutely loved Wendy Lawton's book about Eliza Shirley. I loved the prayer wall, especially, and the lob stew. I loved the description of the clothing and all the vocabulary words. But mostly I'm amazed and encouraged by the Lassies' courage.

The writing was wonderful. I could feel my heart race increasing whenever they did the open-airs. A great story for any age!
on August 13, 2013
This story is a true historical account of Eliza Shirley, a sixteen year old girl who brought the Salvation Army to the United states. She not only did not have much in the way of support from founder and general William Booth in London, England, but the states were not friendly or receive to the unusual but fiery approach to ministry and social work. I loved this book as it brings to life a character in the great charity's history, who doesn't get much credit. It's evident as explained by the author that Eliza did not do it for man's award, but for God.
on August 22, 2011
My granddaughter who is 12 yrs old loves these Historical, faith series books. I usually read them too. We have enjoyed sharing these true stories of people of faith.
Excellent service;arrived on time, excellent condition.
on January 31, 2004
What a delightful read. The story of Eliza Shirley is written with adventure and sophistication--yet, it is easy to read. This book is for all readers. I'm over 39, but didn't realize it was written for ages 8-12 until I read the fine print on the back cover. Next, I shall share it with my 12 year old daughter. Lawton does an excellent job of weaving character, plot, and history to create an exciting story that touched my heart and deepened my love and respect for The Salvation Army. Lawton's book demonstrates that regardless of age, gender, size, or shape, we can be pioneers of change through our faith in Christ. If you buy this book as a gift for someone, read it first--you'll be blessed.
on August 31, 2014
This is a good motivational story for young people, served as a dramatized slice of American history. The main character began life as an upper middle-class English girl who saw a need and wanted to give more than what was expected of girls of her social class during that period.
on July 15, 2013
This book was a breath of fresh air. It is an example of a life and family committed to the power of the Holy Spirit and the courage and willingness to be used for His glory. It is an easy read and put together in story form which is not difficult to understand.
on February 3, 2004
What an exciting, adventurous read. Lawton tells the story of Eliza Shirley, a teenager growing up in nineteenth-century England. Eliza was a pioneer with a gift of evangelism who brought the good works of The Salvation Army to America. I have a deeper respect for the work of The Salvation Army and the saints who serve.
Lawton's sophisticated writing style, and thorough research allow a delightful story to be enjoyed by the young and mature readers. As a 39 and holding reader, I didn't realize the book was written to ages 8-12 until I finished the book and browsed the back cover. My 12-year old daughter will read it next, and I'm sure she will enjoy it as much as I did. If you buy it as a gift, read it first--you will be blessed.
on June 15, 2008
I loved this book!!! there were many times were i couldn't put it down. When i got it, i had only heard a little bit about Eliza Shirley, but by the time i finished it, i couldn't believe how much this girl did at 16! She started the Salvation army in america, for she had heard them in england and had followed them and helped them. I rate this as a award winning book!!!!!
on August 13, 2012
This story is about a young girl who had a calling and dispite many hardships carried out what she felt was God's plan, she was instrumental in starting the Salvation Army in the US.
on April 26, 2016
I purchased this book for my homeschool. This was a great read, opening up our hearts and minds, reminding us what God can accomplish through the "least of these".