5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!
Published on March 21, 2012 by Dad of Divas

2.0 out of 5 stars First mgmt book I couldn't get into
This was recommended by a course instructor as a great management book. As someone who LOVES to read management books, even on vacation, I eagerly bought it. But I've tried three times to get into it with no success. The advice in the first couple of chapters seems new-agey but useless. Maybe it gets better but I don't think I'll try a fourth time to find out.
Published on January 5, 2013 by VH

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book!, March 21, 2012
This review is from: The Hands-Off Manager: How to Mentor People and Allow Them to Be Successful (Paperback)
What was great about this book was the practical, down-to-earth approach of the authors on how to transform your own management style from one style to one of mentorship. I know that management is not something that everyone is good at, and there have been times when I myself have struggled with this, but I will say that this book gives some great advice on how to be a stronger manager that anyone can take in, process and utilize in short order. I know that for me I am already using some of the concepts and am seeing immediate results. I highly recommend this to anyone who manages today, it will change your outlook on management!

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you want to be an effective manager?, April 27, 2012
The authors create the case for being a hands off manager. They offer concrete suggestions for managers to empower and enable their employees to perform at the highest level. The authors look at the negative impact that micro managing has on the effectiveness and the moral of employees in an organization. They also talk about how coaching employees is more effective than criticism or corrective action in changing employee behavior. I found the book to be full of practical and innovative ideas. I recommend that you read it and more importantly use the ideas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth Reading, Whether You're a Manager or Not!, November 29, 2013
This is one of the most helpful books I've read. It doesn't tell you "how to manage" as much as it suggests a way to view the role that will naturally make you more effective. The only thing I don't like about this book is the title, because you don't need to be a manager to benefit from it. My company adopted it as our quarterly book club book, and I've bought a copy for all my new employees--it's that good.

Chandler's discussion of listening from "a neutral place" is invaluable for anyone who deals with people (and who doesn't?) Almost everyone has been frustrated by someone who has already made up their mind, and nothing you say will make a difference. This book showed me how to recognize how frequently people do this without knowing it (myself included). Not only does returning to "the neutral place" make me a better listener, the concept is one my teams now use when interacting w/each other. It's made us better listeners, reduced frustration and ultimately resulted in better decisions.

The approach Chandler advocates for "managing" people is intuitive, but not necessarily easy at first. Many readers won't find these concepts to be new. Unlike other books I've read, this one is different because it provides helpful, actionable suggestions to replace old thought habits with new ones that will make you, and those around you, happier and more productive. Importantly, this isn't a book about making everyone happy. Some people simply won't be, because the job is a bad fit or they're just happier being unhappy. By practicing the habits Chandler shares in this book (including respectful, candid communication in difficult circumstances), you'll help "non-performers" perform, whiners whine less and find the chronically unhappy more likely to choose to go elsewhere. And in those rare instances where the best decision really is dismissal, this book makes it easier to sleep at night. At least it did for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a business book! This is a great manual for living a successful life!, September 18, 2013
Wilson (United States) - See all my reviews
More than a business book! This is a great manual for living a successful life!

I've read a number of Steve Chandler's books over the years and have never been disappointed. I had this one on my radar for years - but never picked it up until I got a recommendation to read it - FROM THE AUTHOR! (Yep, that's right... Steve himself said, "this is a book you should read." And, WOW... All along I was thinking "business book" - but now that I've highlighted every third page I have come to see it as a beautiful set of life lessons.

Read it Now. Read it Now. Read it Now. That's what W.Clement Stone would have said.

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, May 31, 2013
Enjoyed some points of view designed to stay calm and work positively with others
Some examples are oversimplified but a positive guide overall

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent book to reset your management philosophy, October 21, 2012
The book gives you peaceful mind. A recommended piece of work, for those who are stressed out of all the things you think you have to do.
It seems to make life so much easier.
It makes a difference in you everyday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insights, February 21, 2014
David H Cohn (Parker, CO, US) - See all my reviews
Very practical and useful It allows one to see the unseen and take control of those things that we do not realize are influencing our behavior.

2.0 out of 5 stars First mgmt book I couldn't get into, January 5, 2013