I was soooo excited to get these in the mail because I have never heard of stainless steel straws before. I ordered them the second I saw them and have been checking the door ever since (sometimes things get delivered sooner since I live a few miles away from Amazon's headquarters). When they did finally come in, I washed them immediately and put them to use...
Published on May 19, 2010 by S. Hamon

3.0 out of 5 stars Allergic to nickel? Don't buy
I got these straws quickly, and they are just as described. I would recommend them IF you are not allergic to nickel. If you are allergic to nickel, like I am, don't get them as they will make everything taste bad, make you feel badly, and cause a bit of a swollen tongue and lips.

Published on May 8, 2010 by splashy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat "green" idea...I love them, but they have a few problems..., May 19, 2010
This review is from: The Handy House Stainless Steel Drinking Straws with Cleaner- Set of 4

My first problem with them is their appearance. While I don't really mind this, it makes them look like I robbed a plumber and am using his pipes to drink out of. Most bendy straws have a wrinkled section in the bend making the straw flexible. These are bent to allow you to drink without tipping the cup, but they don't have the decorative wrinkled section like some other (slightly more expensive) stainless steel straws do. Just a slightly flattened section where a machine bent the metal. I don't terribly care about this, but like I said, they do kind of look funny without that.

Second problem, washing them in the dishwasher. They keep falling through the holes in my silverware tray inside the dishwasher. To fix this, I have to use a holder designed to hold parts for a childs sippy cup. This works fine and isn't really a hassle, but something to mention. Because they are stainless steel, it really isn't a big deal if they fall down to the bottom by the heating element, not like they are going to melt...but a hassle to fish them out.

Third and last problem. I don't have any sensitivities to stainless steel, but cannot drink water out of these because it tastes a little funny. This doesn't happen to any other drinks, just water.

Overall...I think this is an awesome idea to keep from throwing away straws all of the time...plus they look kinda cool and are bite-proof (my kids tend to tear up straws a lot thinking they are chewable for some reason). Even though they look a bit cheap compared to other brands with the decorative wrinkled section...a great deal for under ten bucks!

3.0 out of 5 stars Allergic to nickel? Don't buy, May 8, 2010
splashy (United States) - See all my reviews

I wish I had known they had nickel in them BEFORE buying them. I had forgotten how some stainless steel has a lot of nickel in it. The test is if a magnet will stick to it.

I'm thinking about trying the glass ones, for that one reason. I'm hoping they will be sturdy.

5.0 out of 5 stars the right kind of straws, March 20, 2010
My kids and I wanted a reusable straw b/c as my 5 yr old says "we care about the earth" We LOVE the stainless steel ones so much!! So easy to clean they even go in the dish washer! A great product for many reasons!

5.0 out of 5 stars Try them you'll like them, February 6, 2010
I just got these the other day and they work good. Easy to clean and use. Reusable and helps you to go green and save the planet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great For The Elderly, May 25, 2010
I bought these stainless steel straws for my 92 year old father. He had previously used glass straws, but he occasionally dropped them, and we had a problem with breakage. Stainless steel straws are the perfect solution. It's a bonus that they're environmentally friendly. Plastic straws end up in landfills or in the environment, and they can be hazardous to wild life. Dad has no problem drinking iced tea, juice, or water with these straws, but I believe a larger straw would be advisable for milkshakes and other very thick drinks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice metal straws, April 8, 2012
Nice metal straws. I wanted to get a better straw for drinking tea and coffee. Mainly to prevent discoloring my teeth. This is my first time purchasing a metal type straw. They seem to be well made, basic straws. They are actually lighter than I expected, given the material. I use them for hot drinks. I am impressed that the metal doesn't conduct much heat, so it won't burn your mouth. Also no sharp edges anywhere, finish is nice. I use a taller coffee mug and these work fine for me. Glad that I got them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleans easily in lower rack of dishwasher, March 16, 2012
Cleans easy--nothing seems to stick on the metal even inside the straw. Fits in any lid hole. Great for the environment. Need I say more? What's not to love? Worth investing in multiple packs. Great housewarming gift or gift for people with young kids.

PS--we put them upside down in the utensil basket so they won't slide through it.

AMENDED COMMENT A FEW MONTHS AFTER ORIGINAL REVIEW: cracked a front tooth on it. May have to abandon my love of these straws!

4.0 out of 5 stars Kids love 'em, July 12, 2010
My kids love these straws because they are "cool" and I love them because they are not plastic (we already reuse plastic straws, but with all the ifs about plastic these days, these are the answer). They did seem a little "sharp" on the sipping edge to me at first, but not any more so than plastic straws are. I realized the difference is that plastic straws "give" a little if you accidentally bump them with your mouth, so these have the potential to be a little more hazardous in that regard. And for that reason, I have not given it to my littlest one to use yet. I did buy some sippy cup straw cleaning brushes to clean these out, since we drink a lot of smoothies and milk/yogurt based products with them, but stiff pipecleaners might work as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classy touch., December 29, 2012
Saw these on Oprah's special with Jamie Foxx and thought it was a cool idea to grab these classy looking straws. They look nice in your tall glassware but the only bad thing about these is that if you're drinking a cold beverage then be prepared to have some discomfort of cold lips. Ouch! Good idea but dang, can't stand the cold temp with these. If you're going to be drinking liquids at room temp, go for it. Otherwise too uncomfortable. But I'm keeping em. They make for good stirrers though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great., April 11, 2012
Some people don't like the taste of metal in their mouths but if you're not one of those people these straws work good for smoothies and such.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›