1,068 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!! She CAN stop crying!!!
Published on August 21, 2002 by Kim

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but not amazing
My husband and I ordered this dvd after it was recommended in our childbirth class. We thought we were going to be the most prepared parents on the block. We were disapointed to find that this was not the "secret weapon" we were hoping for.

Published on October 17, 2007 by SooperMum

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!! She CAN stop crying!!!, August 21, 2002
After 5 straight weeks of sleepless nights, my husband and I were walking zombies. Our infant would wake every hour to 2 hours throughout the night and just scream. During the day she would also scream uncontrollably - even though the doctor found nothing wrong with her physically. I had convinced myself that she just wasn't a happy baby like our 6 year old was and life with Isabel would be tough!
Then I searched Amazon one night under "Colic" and found this book and video. Even though we have absolutely no time to read, we did watch the video (while she wailed). My husband tried the swaddling and shhing techniques that night and she quieted down after about 10 minutes. Now 1 week later she calms after 5 min or so AND she is sleeping 4 hours at a time. We feel great and she finally looks peaceful - and not agitated.
Both the book and video are geared toward the first 3 months of life.... and the notion that most babies 1st 3 months of life are really the 4th trimester in their developement. Our first child slept soundly from day one..... but we were blown away with this second one. Thank you Dr. Karp! We finally feel like humans again and the stress level in our home has dropped tremendously.

5.0 out of 5 stars NEW solutions for crying, difficult babies, July 31, 2004
Raised 3 kids, thought I knew most of the techniques for ssothing babies, helping them through rough days (colic, teething, fussy times). But this video brings NEW research and tips to make life easier for parents of new babies...and if you're an aunt or grandparent, you'll learn something new too. SOme of the suggestions are simply amazing, making specific sounds gently into the baby's ears and seeing an instant, peaceful transformation.

Many of these suggestions come from looking at life from the baby's perspective and, in retrospect, seem like common sense (but not as easy as it sounds, otherwise there'd be no need for this video). Well worth your viewing time and could bring relief to many an exhausted parent (and baby).

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have for new parents, July 23, 2004
We are parents of a 5 week old girl - our first child. At about week 3 we noticed more and more crying in the afternoon/evening. Luckily she would calm down by about 11:00 and sleep for 3 hours, so I know we don't have it as bad as some parents. Nonetheless, it really starts to wear you down. On more than one occasion we questioned our decision to have a baby. We tried the Mylicon drops, but those didn't seem to help much. We talked to our doctor who tried to assure us that this is just a phase some babies go through. Then I remembered a book that was featured on Oprah a couple months ago. Being the skeptic that I am, I didn't pay much attention to it. But desperate times call for desperate measures. We looked up the book here on Amazon, and sure enough it got great reviews. Even better, there was a DVD version for those of us that don't have the time to read the book. So we ordered it and had it shipped overnight. As we were watching it, our daughter started fussing so we followed along with the 5 S's. Sure enough, she calmed down within a minute. We were amazed. We use these techniques everytime she starts to fuss and almost everytime we are able to calm her down. Keep in mind that this isn't a cure for colic/crying, but they are ways to help babies calm themselves. The DVD also includes a Q&A session where Dr. Karp answers a lot of common questions, as well as a 3 calming sound tracks. They are sounds recorded from inside the womb, with different degrees of intensity. Pretty bizarre, but they seem to work. Sure beats running the vacuum cleaner! We definitely recommend this DVD, and we will give it as a gift for any new parents we know.

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Happiest Baby" helps create the happiest parents!, June 22, 2003
The need for a "fourth trimester" for our newborns, as suggested in "THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK", is something I've taught for years in childbirth, parenting and infant massage classes. Still, I was surprised at the excitement I felt while watching Dr. Karp's video. The idea of pulling together some basic tools people naturally use to calm babies, and thereby helping to elicit a "calming reflex", struck me as simple, yet brilliant. Dr. Karp also provides powerful rationale for why the tools work, and how to combine them for the best results.

Currently I also work as a lactation specialist. I see brand new parents who are in the midst of that immediate postpartum "overwhelm". I have found it supportive to my efforts to refer parents to Dr. Karp's work, as the problems with breastfeeding are not always about feeding. New parents can lack the basic information, skills, and confidence needed to interact successfully with their babies. This, in turn, can complicate the baby's adjustment from womb to world, and negatively affect many aspects of life, including feeding. Seeing these calming techniques in action on this great video makes it possible to understand and learn them quickly and easily...a plus for new parents! Parents' confidence then increases as they learn to pay respectful attention to their newborns, and implement Dr. Karp's techniques and rationale. As they see their positive influence thier baby's ability to calm , the parents themselves become calmer. Calmer parents and babies can positively affect breast feeding.
Also, as a parenting educator, I know this type of early "success cycle" cycle between parent and child can set the stage for making parenting easier and far more rewarding for the rest of their lives. I encourage every new and prospective parent to get Dr. Karp's video, "THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK"!

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, but not amazing, October 17, 2007

We did learn some helpful things. I liked seeing the step by step instructions for swaddling. Swaddling really helped our baby sleep. (we also put a put a rolled up blanket between him and the bassinet on each side, like they do in the hospital.) And it's true that, although a baby may not seem to like the swaddling and may appear to be resisiting, it is actually comforting to him. I wasn't confident in my swaddling technique, but the dvd helped.

The swinging and shushing were not terribly helpful. And the sucking, well, duh--that's why they're called pacifiers, after all.

The white noise was interesting. When we brought our baby home from the hospital he cried all night. We put the dvd in and played the white noise and he got quiet and looked like he was in a trance (which was preferable to crying). He didn't go to sleep, but he didn't cry...at least for a while. Eventually he snapped out of it and remembered that he was ticked off. Now that he's a little older we use a white noise cd in his room (downloaded a free hour long mp3, burned it to cd, and keep on "repeat") to help him sleep. It helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable: common sense solutions for crying babies!, September 23, 2003
Dr. Karp applied common sense to the "problem" of crying babies that most new parents face, by borrowing from traditions being used around the world to calm babies down as if you had "flipped a switch." He acknowledges the existence of a 'fourth trimester', i.e. the first three months of the baby's life and the need to use techniques to make the baby feel as in the mother's womb to calm him/her down, appealing to their calm reflex.
These techniques are summarized as the five S's: Swaddling (very tight, to resemble the tight environment of the uterus), Side or Stomach position (otherwise known as the football hold), Shushing (as loud as the baby cries), Swinging (making the head jiggle slightly, to replicate the mom's movements with the baby in her tummy) and Sucking (with your finger, or a pacifier in place).
As intuitive or odd these techniques may sound to you, you need to view this video: it will probably make the difference for you as it has for so many parents. As I write this, we're in our last couple of weeks of pregnancy, and we're ready to apply them to our upcoming baby boy.

5.0 out of 5 stars You CAN have a happier newborn!, June 8, 2007
S. Mcbride (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
After 4 weeks of virtually nonstop screaming and crying, I was at the end of my rope with my new daughter, Olivia. I was exhausted to the point of being sick. The pediatrician labeled my daughter with colic and told me to hang in there that she will outgrow it. I didn't know how I was going to cope with several more months of the crying and sleep deprivation.

My sister recommended Happiest Baby and although I didn't really believe there was anything more that I could do, I ordered the DVD. My husband and I watched the video while Olivia (4 weeks old) slept for a short time. We were literally on the verge of tears after watching because it all made so much sense and we finally had something to try.

Long story short, these methods work! Keep in mind, however, that you need to fully understand how the 5S steps actually work together. Swaddling alone won't work, swinging alone won't work, etc.

Also, we found that Olivia's response improved over time the more we used these methods. Nothing will be 100% but you will get more peace and you will get more sleep. If you are getting none - a few hours here and there is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a godsend!, December 22, 2006
My husband and I watched the DVD before our daughter was born and it really made us feel prepared for the upcoming challenge. Violet was delivered by C-section and screamed the entire time, but her daddy was able to comfort her on the way to the nursery using shushing and side-lying (the nurses swaddled her)...just half an hour after birth! In the hospital, people were amazed at our ability to calm the baby and thought we had experience with infants. My husband and I are only children and this was really our first experience with a baby. Thank you SO much for giving us the confidence we needed to be GREAT first-time parents. Whenever I'm at the end of my rope and she's screaming, I just swaddle and try the other S's and it works like a miracle. It's saved my sanity so many times and the tone of the DVD is soothing to me. I am so thankful to Dr. Karp. He has given so much to new parents...more than he could ever know. I will definitely make sure any of my friends who are expecting will get a copy of this DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars from 2 Pediatrician parents, October 13, 2005
Both my wife and I are pediatricians and recently had our second child, a little girl.

After 12 weeks, my wife returned to work at a busy practice. Her hours were long and she would return home exhausted and ready to wind down. However, that was not in our daughter's plans for the evening. She would cry non-stop from about 6 pm until 11 pm, which as you can imagine, made the whole evening a stressful time for us.

At our wits end and having tried every trick that our mentors in residency had given us, we had nowhere to turn. Thankfully, our lactation consultant recommended this DVD and book. It was a miracle!! 5 minutes after swaddling (I love the d-u-d-u acronym) and shushing, the baby was fast asleep in her swing.

This review is not only to tell the world to read the book and watch the DVD, (we will be reading the Happiest Toddler book during our evening free time), but to encourage both pediatricians and parents to have faith in Dr. Karp's techniques.

5.0 out of 5 stars This DVD is a life-saver!, January 31, 2006
I ordered this DVD when my son was 3 months old and I wish we had received it before he was born! The techniques in the DVD still worked my little guy, but it would have made the first 3 months so much easier. They should send everyone home from the hospital with the DVD and a copy of the book! It is my new favorite baby shower gift along with a swaddling blanket!

The Happiest Baby On The Block