Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange

on July 19, 2011
I bought this DVD with the book to help me figure out how to help calm my colicky 6 week old baby. I definitely recommend getting the book. You could probably skip the DVD and just head to the Happiest Baby website to see the 5 S's modeled. The DVD is good for learning how to swaddle correctly, knowing how loud to shush and how to jiggle properly, but again, I think you could find this for free on youtube. Also, check your local library for a copy because once you see it, you probably won't have to watch it twice.
on July 7, 2005
The DVD gives you detailed demonstrations on five methods of comforting an infant so that s/he stops crying, sleeps better, and so that YOU get more sleep. There's some basic information about the theory behind these methods, and some very helpful advice on what doesn't work, and things that work but can lead to bad habits.

And that's really all there is to it. If that doesn't seem like a lot, when then you obviously haven't had to deal with an infant that cries at all hours turning your entire house into sleepless zombies. I have. It isn't pretty.

Incidentally, the DVD is MUCH MUCH better than the book. In fact, don't bother with the book at all. Watching the video gives you in a few seconds what it takes 5 pages to get from the book.

The DVD also includes an extended Q&A session with the doctor and some womb noises (which did nothing for our kids, but might work for yours).

For the last two years, this has been the gift we give at showers because while you might not need it, if you do the DVD is worth its weight in gold.
on June 3, 2012
We bought this DVD on our pediatrician's recommendation and I'm very glad we did. I'll admit I was a little skeptical of Dr. Karp's methods at first - my boyfriend and I snickered a bit watching him SHHHH so loudly in the babies' ears, but today we tried it with our 2-week-old and by god it works!

Our baby has been super fussy in the evenings, screaming inconsolably every minute she isn't eating, and it used to take endless rocking and bouncing to get her to calm down. Tonight, however, it only took a few minutes of trial and error using these methods before we got her to settle. It wasn't quite as immediate or dramatic as what you see in the video, but it was definitely much more efficient than our previous routine.

What's even more incredible, though, is that once we finally got her to sleep she stayed asleep for almost 5 hours. She's never slept more than 3 hours at a time so this was pretty shocking.

I haven't read the book but I will say that I think being able to see the methods in action is really helpful, so I would recommend people try the DVD first.

**UPDATE** Unfortunately we've discovered that the Happiest Baby methods aren't foolproof, and since I wrote the initial review there have been many times when no amount of swaddling or shushing or swinging would help our baby settle down. In fact, sometimes those techniques just seem to make her more upset. It's possible that we're not doing it right, but suffice it to say this DVD hasn't totally been the miracle cure-all we were hoping for. Even so, it has given us some useful tools and when it does work it usually makes our baby sleep longer, so I'm still glad we got it.
on August 1, 2014
Just as some other reviewers said, this is not some magical technique like people seem to think it is. The instructions for calming a baby contained here can be written in one paragraph, and it's all common sense stuff like, "swaddle the baby," "shush the baby," "give the baby a pacifier," "rock the baby." Come on! What parent hasn't tried these things already? As I was watching the DVD my "commercialized quack bulls*** detector" was going off big time. Don't waste your money.
on July 28, 2014
The only method that worked to soothe my daughter was being held against my chest and bounced while walking around. But this had to be done continuously. If stopped at all, she would scream-cry until she turned purple and stopped breathing. It wasn't as simple as the 5 S's and just gently laying her down to sleep peacefully. She hated the swing, hated the car seat, hated every single type of pacifier we tried. Stomach sleeping helped when we eventually tried it at 5.5 weeks, but other than that we had to hold and bounce continuously. Eventually we did cry it out. Before my daughter was born we felt confident, armed with these techniques. Once she was here, we felt very angry and mislead by how quickly and easily the babies in the DVD were soothed. For most normal babies, these techniques probably do work very well. But for my daughter, on the extreme end of the fussiness/colic spectrum, this was useless.
on August 21, 2002
After 5 straight weeks of sleepless nights, my husband and I were walking zombies. Our infant would wake every hour to 2 hours throughout the night and just scream. During the day she would also scream uncontrollably - even though the doctor found nothing wrong with her physically. I had convinced myself that she just wasn't a happy baby like our 6 year old was and life with Isabel would be tough!
Then I searched Amazon one night under "Colic" and found this book and video. Even though we have absolutely no time to read, we did watch the video (while she wailed). My husband tried the swaddling and shhing techniques that night and she quieted down after about 10 minutes. Now 1 week later she calms after 5 min or so AND she is sleeping 4 hours at a time. We feel great and she finally looks peaceful - and not agitated.
Both the book and video are geared toward the first 3 months of life.... and the notion that most babies 1st 3 months of life are really the 4th trimester in their developement. Our first child slept soundly from day one..... but we were blown away with this second one. Thank you Dr. Karp! We finally feel like humans again and the stress level in our home has dropped tremendously.
on April 1, 2012
There is no magic to any of it. When dealing with a baby you're dealing with random chaos. This guy is a jackwagon making tons of money on some things that are common sense, and other things that are questionable. Do not buy the dvd or the book. The dvd is like home video and basically useless. Use your common sense and consult your pediatrician. And there is plenty of information online for free that is more useful than this.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2015
DVD sold by Knowbodybeatsdawiz will not play in a DVD player. I question the integrity of the DVD, it seems like a homemade copy as opposed to an original.
on June 17, 2013
That about sums it up. It was useful, but not up to par with other instructional videos and documentaries. This felt more like a self-promotion video.
on December 14, 2013
That's 10 bucks not well-spent. We watched and rewatched and tried this in earnest, but the technique did nothing for our daughter. This may work for some, but the clever editing in this video makes you believe every baby this guy touches magically calms down and goes to sleep. Bull.