Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$12.99

on July 19, 2011
I bought this DVD with the book to help me figure out how to help calm my colicky 6 week old baby. I definitely recommend getting the book. You could probably skip the DVD and just head to the Happiest Baby website to see the 5 S's modeled. The DVD is good for learning how to swaddle correctly, knowing how loud to shush and how to jiggle properly, but again, I think you could find this for free on youtube. Also, check your local library for a copy because once you see it, you probably won't have to watch it twice.
0Comment|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2012
We bought this DVD on our pediatrician's recommendation and I'm very glad we did. I'll admit I was a little skeptical of Dr. Karp's methods at first - my boyfriend and I snickered a bit watching him SHHHH so loudly in the babies' ears, but today we tried it with our 2-week-old and by god it works!

Our baby has been super fussy in the evenings, screaming inconsolably every minute she isn't eating, and it used to take endless rocking and bouncing to get her to calm down. Tonight, however, it only took a few minutes of trial and error using these methods before we got her to settle. It wasn't quite as immediate or dramatic as what you see in the video, but it was definitely much more efficient than our previous routine.

What's even more incredible, though, is that once we finally got her to sleep she stayed asleep for almost 5 hours. She's never slept more than 3 hours at a time so this was pretty shocking.

I haven't read the book but I will say that I think being able to see the methods in action is really helpful, so I would recommend people try the DVD first.

**UPDATE** Unfortunately we've discovered that the Happiest Baby methods aren't foolproof, and since I wrote the initial review there have been many times when no amount of swaddling or shushing or swinging would help our baby settle down. In fact, sometimes those techniques just seem to make her more upset. It's possible that we're not doing it right, but suffice it to say this DVD hasn't totally been the miracle cure-all we were hoping for. Even so, it has given us some useful tools and when it does work it usually makes our baby sleep longer, so I'm still glad we got it.
22 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2005
The DVD gives you detailed demonstrations on five methods of comforting an infant so that s/he stops crying, sleeps better, and so that YOU get more sleep. There's some basic information about the theory behind these methods, and some very helpful advice on what doesn't work, and things that work but can lead to bad habits.

And that's really all there is to it. If that doesn't seem like a lot, when then you obviously haven't had to deal with an infant that cries at all hours turning your entire house into sleepless zombies. I have. It isn't pretty.

Incidentally, the DVD is MUCH MUCH better than the book. In fact, don't bother with the book at all. Watching the video gives you in a few seconds what it takes 5 pages to get from the book.

The DVD also includes an extended Q&A session with the doctor and some womb noises (which did nothing for our kids, but might work for yours).

For the last two years, this has been the gift we give at showers because while you might not need it, if you do the DVD is worth its weight in gold.
on August 1, 2014
Just as some other reviewers said, this is not some magical technique like people seem to think it is. The instructions for calming a baby contained here can be written in one paragraph, and it's all common sense stuff like, "swaddle the baby," "shush the baby," "give the baby a pacifier," "rock the baby." Come on! What parent hasn't tried these things already? As I was watching the DVD my "commercialized quack bulls*** detector" was going off big time. Don't waste your money.
22 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2014
Seemed like a very quick video, something you could just find online (you tube) since he only has the 5 methods. However, it was nice to watch with the hubby.. Sometimes short and to the point keeps men from zoning out. No offense to all the awesome hands on dads out there!! Mine just isn't one of them ;)
on August 21, 2002
After 5 straight weeks of sleepless nights, my husband and I were walking zombies. Our infant would wake every hour to 2 hours throughout the night and just scream. During the day she would also scream uncontrollably - even though the doctor found nothing wrong with her physically. I had convinced myself that she just wasn't a happy baby like our 6 year old was and life with Isabel would be tough!
Then I searched Amazon one night under "Colic" and found this book and video. Even though we have absolutely no time to read, we did watch the video (while she wailed). My husband tried the swaddling and shhing techniques that night and she quieted down after about 10 minutes. Now 1 week later she calms after 5 min or so AND she is sleeping 4 hours at a time. We feel great and she finally looks peaceful - and not agitated.
Both the book and video are geared toward the first 3 months of life.... and the notion that most babies 1st 3 months of life are really the 4th trimester in their developement. Our first child slept soundly from day one..... but we were blown away with this second one. Thank you Dr. Karp! We finally feel like humans again and the stress level in our home has dropped tremendously.
22 comments|309 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2015
Despite the hilarious 1990s outfits and outdated-ness of this movie, these methods really do work. My pregnant self cringed during the "shushing" section, only to discover that was a sure fire way to calm down my son once he arrived. I was given this by a friend who swore by it, and I'd totally recommend expectant parents watch this before their skills are put to the test!
on September 22, 2015
I bought this book because I kept seeing people on the mommy message boards talking about it. After buying it I see why! This is MUST HAVE for all new parents! It explains what to do (and why) when you bring that cute bundle of joy home from the hospital then they start screaming crying. Seems like all infants are cute little perfect angels in the hospital but as soon as you get them home they start the crying. Well, this book helps you nip that in the bud from the beginning and explains how to have a happy baby!
on October 28, 2015
Taking care of a baby for my wife and I was a relative breeze (we have had four). We had all of our kids sleeping through the night by 9 weeks, and even when they were not yet sleeping through the night they still were sleeping in blocks of several hours at a time so that we were only getting up in the middle of the night once or twice a night. Lots of moms used to say that we were just "lucky" to have easy kids, but after a repeating pattern with all four kids, they have all had to admit that we "must be doing something right." People ask us all the time what is our secret. This is it.

We based our baby care plan on two sources:
1. On Becoming Baby Wise
2. The Happiest Baby On The Block

The first one addresses putting your baby on a scheduled feeding and sleeping plan. The second one addresses the best way to keep your baby sleeping once you put him/her down. This video teaches you how to get your baby to calm down and sleep, shows you how swaddling prevents your baby from waking him/herself up by involuntary reflexes which all babies make, and reveals what your baby's crying really means. You know that mom on public transportation who can't get her baby to stop crying? You wish she had watched this video!
on July 30, 2014
Such an amazing DVD the 5 S will work wonders on my newborn baby and it has helped me feel so ready to bring home my baby girl. Why I gave it a 4 star was because though it was so informative..I was expecting it to be longer then 30 minutes..me and DH was so into the DVD that once it was over we were just wanting more! Lol!! But this is worth the buy for sure but I would also buy the book for a quick reference and I'm sure the book has much more details in print then on the DVD. I'm much more of a visualizer and dr Harvey certainly helped me on exactly how to do the 5 S's...overall, I definitely am glad I purchased the DVD!