Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: Amazon Instant VideoChange

on September 14, 2004
After reading Dr. Harvey Karp's book, "The Happiest Baby on the Block," and watching that DVD - and having great success using his methods with our newborn - I was anxious to read and watch this follow-up volume. I read the book, "The Happiest Toddler on the Block," first, which I recommend, to get the nitty-gritty on his methods and to understand the "whys" behind his methods. It takes awhile to get through the book and have it well absorbed, but it is certainly time well spent since it will save you from three or more years of headaches!

I was so impressed by the book that I decided to buy this DVD in order to see real-life examples of his methods. I was not disappointed. This DVD offers a great overview/review of the book, real-life examples with parents and toddlers, and thoroughly covers the main points (such as "Toddler-ese" and "The Fast Food Rule") as well as most of the side topics (such as "Feeding the Meter" and "Gossiping"). Again, it is time and money well spent since it will help save you from headaches and public embarrassment! And more importantly, you will begin to form a foundation of open communication and mutual trust with your child as you learn to communicate love and respect to him - in his own language - instead of resorting to more violent or forceful forms of parenting. I only wish that would bundle "The Happiest Toddler" book with "The Happiest Toddler" DVD, instead of bundling Dr. Karp's two books together and his two DVDs together. I agree with the other reviewers that you really should read the book, too, to get the most out of what he is teaching here. But everything by Dr. Karp is wonderful, easy-to-understand, highly effective, and trustworthy. His methods are not gimmicky; he really understands kids and you'll understand yours better after learning this material. My daughter is about to turn one and I already connect with her better by using Toddler-ese!

What else would you expect from a friendly pediatrician who always (and I mean ALWAYS) wears blue shirts?!? =)
on June 2, 2008
My husband and I got the book first and decided to get the dvd to make sure we were doing the techniques right. All I can say is, the toddlerese just fuels our little one's fire and makes the tantrums even worse than they were to start with. We have what Dr. Karp calls a "spirited" toddler and these methods just plain didn't work. I really wish they would - the only thing we can get to work so far with our 2 1/4 year old is to ignore the tantrum and let her calm down before trying to communicate any further with her. Also, our daughter communicates with us much above the level that Dr. Karp indicates in his book - even when she is in a rage of tantrum, maybe that's why this doesn't work for her - who knows. Best wishes to all those that do try this though. I guess it must work for some people!

UPDATE: We have found that the underlying methods in this do work with our toddler, but we had to modify how we used it. For instance, our toddler doesn't appreciate the toddlerese, but the fast food method definitely works and with a little further guidance from Dr. Karp it has made some difference in our toddler's tantrums and behavior. Definitely try different approaches with the ideas from this method in mind if you don't find it working.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2004
This DVD is not only informative, it's entertaining as well. The message (using "toddlerese" to connect with your child) was consistently relayed, cohesive and universally appealing. We watched real parents dealing with VERY real kids in the kinds of situations we all experience (fighting over toys, going to bed, etc etc). Frankly, I think this DVD should be packaged with Dr. Karp's book "Happiest Toddler on the Block," as it's imperative to watch and know exactly how to use the method (and to do it without feeling as if you're "teasing" or speaking down to your child). My husband and I have both watched it and are following Dr. Karp's method. Are we happy? You bet. Our 2-year-old's tantrums have gone down at least 75% (both frequency and duration).
on April 29, 2004
The DVD is a great compliment to the book. It's so helpful to see Dr. Karp's techniques in action. However, if you haven't read the book, I think the DVD may leave you with many questions because it doesn't go into nearly as much detail as the book does. So my advice is to buy the book too!
on April 28, 2004
The more you watch it the more sense it makes. We have three boys ages 3, 3, and 6. As you begin to put the techniques into practice you observe the change in your child almost right away. At first it feels odd but with practice all these techniques become second nature. The gossiping works like a charm on kids almost any age. The todler-eze helps toddlers as well as older kids to come out of the impasse and save face. Feeding the meter and other delightful and simple methods all contribute to the child's well being and makes the parent/ child relationship richer and a stronger bond, for life.
on December 18, 2004
I am a very busy sometimes anxious parent. This DVD enabled me to get helpful information quickly and painlessly without a lot of reading that often gives me a headache. I am already getting more cooperation from my toddler after just one week of trying these techniques. I also recommend the book itself for more depth as well as a compatible quick-read paperback A-Z compendium of discipline advice for parents of 2-5 year olds called "The Pocket Parent." Keep them handy for quick referral and SANITY SAVERS on those really tough days when you are just about to lose your mind!
on April 28, 2004
Excellent and refreshing way of looking at the world from how a toddler see's it and then how we as parents can effectively communicate in that toddler world. The fast food repeating technique was especially helpful. My son responded to it immediately, it's not a cure all but very helpful. Also enjoyable to watch, not boring at all which sometime these things can be.
on January 31, 2005
I was very skeptical when I learned about this DVD. I didn't think that something could help eliminate 90% of the tantrums that we had with our 2 year old. To my amazement, after my wife viewed the DVD while I was at work. I came home and watched her use it on my son, and it worked. We've watched the DVD together since then and have worked on using the techniques to suit our needs. I don't typically rate products, but I felt compelled to help others who have struggled finding a solution with their toddlers too.
on November 26, 2005
I really like this video that includes all of the important points from the book.

Toddlerese, and the Fast Food Rule have worked well for gaining the attention of my tantruming 20 month old daughter. I agree with others that the book is too repetitive.

The CD much more to the point and very helpful in teaching more effective communication skills.

For a specific, concise compatible book with hundreds of additional quick read discipline suggestions for parents of toddlers and preschoolers, I also highly recommend THE POCKET PARENT by Gail Reichlin.

Just look up the annoying behavior at hand and come away with fast answers to such behaviors as Anger, Bad Words, Biting, Bedtime and Mealtime Refusals, Sibling Fights, Not Listening, Power Struggles, Manners, Tantrums, Separation Anxiety, Lying and Whining.

If you have a toddler or prescooler, I highly recommend both teaching tools (the DVD and the A-Z book)for your personal library
on February 8, 2006
We used The Happiest Baby on the Block with such success that we got The Happiest Toddler on the Block for our middle child. Our son is a strong willed child that conveniently uses a jibberish to communicate when he wants to be disobedient. We had given up out of frustration! So in a desparation moment ( experiencing a trantrum unlike any other) we incorporated Dr. Karp's techniques of which "playing the boob" is a favorite. Now that we speak on his level, share in his emotion and reward him ( all Dr. Karp tricks) we are friends. He articulates his anger instead of throwing a fit and we have tools to help us prevent the trantrum from happening! We now have a communicative-non jibberish- 3 year old that we can take to the store without incident and that likes to play with Mom and Dad. Again, hats off to Dr. Karp.