5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Easy, Low-fat, YUMMY & Cruelty-Free!
Meeting Lindsay on Twitter shortly after deciding to go Vegan was one of the best things that ever happened to me and I was really excited when Lindsay chose me to be one of her testers for this cookbook. Newly vegan I wasn't sure where to start. Lindsay introduced me to new foods with her creative, easy, few ingredient recipes.

I thought Chickpeas were...
Published on January 16, 2011 by Roxanne

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but...
Published on January 13, 2012 by Vegan Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, Easy, Low-fat, YUMMY & Cruelty-Free!, January 16, 2011

I thought Chickpeas were something you sprinkled on salads at the salad bar but Lindsay has some really tasty recipes with them. I used to make Tofu Scramble with tofu, oil and a box mix. No oil, some tofu and a few spices add up to the best Tofu Scramble I've ever had. Make French Toast without eggs? Lindsay does and it is better than the real thing. Home fries without the fat? Lindsay has it! The BBQ Chop Wrap is one of my favorite all time recipes. I make the single serving brownie almost every week! And don't get me started on her Pumpkin Pie...

Recently I discovered that I can't tolerate Gluten and also had to cut back on Soy - Lindsay's book has many recipes that I enjoy.

Giving up all the fat for flavorful food cleared up my skin and helped me lose weight while feeling good.

I highly recommend Lindsay's book for anyone who enjoys food.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but..., January 13, 2012
I've had this book for over a year and have only been enticed to cook about five things from it.I guess I was just underwhelmed with everything I tried. I made the Hawaiian Chickpea Teriyaki, which was basically just chickpeas, salsa, and teriyaki sauce. I found the banana bread as well as the pumpkin bread to be somewhat dry and tasteless. I had to add earth balance to it to make it something I wanted to eat, which kind of defeats the purpose. And the rajma masala was good and basic, but nothing extraordinary.

I like the concept of a fat-free vegan cook book, especially as a dedicated vegan. I have read all the research (The China Study, etc) and am completely on board with eliminating excess fats (olive oil, margarine, etc) from the diet. But I am sorry, I just cannot get on board with the idea that we should also eliminate nuts, seeds, and avocados. Organic, all-natural peanut butter (the kind without added sugars that is essentially just ground peanuts) is tasty and GOOD for you. Avocados are incredibly nutritious. The idea that we need to restrict/avoid these items makes me feel like this is some kind of fad diet rather than sound nutritional advice for healthy living. I have read all the article links that the author provides about the health experts who advocate this kind of restrictive diet. But as for me, I am choosing a healthy diet without meat or dairy, with lots of whole foods, and YES, WITH guacamole made out of AVOCADOS, and peanut butter made out of peanuts and not beans!

That being said, no disrespect to the author. She is doing her thing and clearly has a lot of followers who are on board with the way she cooks. It's just not for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, it all looks better than it is., May 5, 2011
When I saw this book, I could not have been more excited about it. Almost every recipe appealed to me, and I really liked the photos. After I ordered it, it was back ordered for a month and then canceled, so I ordered it from B&N... 5 weeks after the initial order, I had it. So excited!

Baking is my thing, so I started there... the first time making a recipe I always follow it exactly, and save any adjustments for the next time I make it. Everything turned out really dry - not crumbly-dry, but dry in the way people always assume healthy baked goods will taste. I love moist breads and muffins (which can be made in a healthful and vegan manner) but three muffin/bread recipes later, everything was just meh.

But I wasn't ready to write the book off, not even close, so I moved onto to other things. I thought the frittata was ok, nothing special, but my bf requested that it not be made again. The macaroni salad was good, though I ended up adding some extra spices because it seemed a little bland, but the end result was tasty and I'd make it again. The mayo made for it was great, and the easiest & cheapest vegan mayo recipe I've made. The vanilla icing (used for cupcakes from another book) was gross and was thrown out. And I am not a person to throw out icing! I halved the instant cookie dough recipe, and also found that to be an unpleasant snack. The ratio of oats to everything else was not balanced. The seitan pot roast and chicken recipes were alright - they are simple to make and taste fine, nothing special. The rest of the recipes that I've tried had similar, mixed results. When a mayo recipe is the highlight of a book, there's a problem.

Healthy, vegan cooking is my passion, and I know without a doubt that it can be totally possible to make delicious food with great flavor that will appeal to anyone. This book looks like it will deliver, but sadly, for me it did not.

It is with some reluctance that I even wrote this review, because of the fleet of fierce defenders who will jump on every negative word spoken about this book. I'm not trying to stir up trouble! :) It is great that the author has so many fans! But everyone has different tastes and preferences, and that's why we have reviews. Since I'm sure it'll be brought up - yes I did just start reviewing cookbooks here. I've been buying books and reading reviews on Amazon forever, and decided it's about time I start contributing.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a GREAT vegan cookbook, January 22, 2011
So, okay! I'm new to being a vegan and I also am a diabetic. I have been looking through vegan cookbooks out there and have been rather disappointed. Then I stumbled upon the Happy Herbivore blog and tried a few recipes, took a couple of the courses and decided to pre-order this book. Wow! What a great purchase. These recipes are easy, quick and tasty. Added to that you have ingredients that are not that hard to find here in the US. On top of that, the recipes are easy to adapt if needed for someone who is diabetic or needs to eat gluten free or things like that. I haven't fixed every recipe because I have only had the book a few days but I have read through the cookbook completely and I know that for me I have found MY FAVORITE COOKBOOK.
Thanks Linday for creating this book. I really, really needed it. The Happy Herbivore Cookbook: Over 175 Delicious Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes

1.0 out of 5 stars Where are the non-starchy vegetables and salads? No seconds for me..., April 25, 2013
I wanted to like this book and kept trying new recipes to see if I find at least a few to use on a regular basis, but unfortunately it's been a huge disappointment. I was hoping to find recipes that use interesting flavors and combinations of vegetables... I thought for sure there would be plenty of great salads, recipes using interesting fruit and vegetable combinations, asparagus, bok choy, beets, mushrooms, maybe some nuts and seeds, too.

The book seems to be heavy on starches especially beans and chickpeas. I am only finding one recipe that uses asparagus (Balsamic Braised Asparagus), just a couple that use mushrooms, which most people know how to make anyway (Portabello Steaks and Steak (Mushroom) & Pepper Fajitas). Even green beans seem to be missing for the most part. There are many recipes that allow you to create sauces and vegan cheese using tofu, but very few for preparing tofu itself to have as the main course.

I agree with other reviewers that many processed vegan products are used. TVP is required for tacos, chimichangas, spicy sausage, baked ziti, Mexicann chorizo, chili--basically where a meat eater would use ground meat. Gimme Lean product is used in meatballs, breakfast sausage patties, bacon bits, and Cajun meatloaf. Several recipes call for liquid smoke. I liked having the nutritional information listed with each recipe, however, the amount of sodium is not shown (only fat, carbs, protein, fiber, and sugar).

Some of the recipes that I made so far... I should mention that I'm in my mid 30's and have at least 10+ years of experience cooking 4-5 times a week. I can follow most recipes quickly and easily and rarely make something my family doesn't enjoy eating. I am health-conscious and watch the amounts of fat, salt, and sugar in my cooking. Some of these recipes were ok, but just not good enough for me to want to make them again:

Afrikan Kale and Yam soup (ok)
TVP Tacos (fine, but needed a lot of salt and spices to taste flavorful)
Hawaiian Chickpea Teriyaki (tasted fine and easy to make with fresh mango but a bit high in sugar for a dinner entree)
Mexican Cabbage (just ok--I make another cabbage dish that is much better)
Hippie Loaf (veggie meatloaf w/black beans; came out crumbly, would not make again)
Portobello Steaks (ok; similar to most portabello cap recipes)
Baked Onion Rings (made with garbanzo flower and no oil; came out dry and crusty--not in a good way)

Red Lentil Dal... Something is off about this recipe and I think it may be the amount of garam masala it calls for (2 tsps when only using 1/2 cup of lentils). Potentially, 1 whole tbsp of coriander and 5 tbsps of tomato paste may be too much as well... Tomato paste can be quite bitter. I doubled the amount of lentils and still the dish was inedible (very bitter tasting) even when served over brown rice. I suffered through a bowl then into the trash it went, organic lentils and all! I've made Indian dishes in the past and get Ethiopian and Indian take out a few times a month. I've never had a problem with how they were flavored. Later I noticed that even in the same cookbook, most other dals call for much less garam masala (see the spicy Ethiopian stew Yemisir W'et). Compared to the Red Lentil Dal, this recipe calls for twice the amount of lentils (1 cup) and only 1/2 tsp of garam masala (instead of 2 tsps). I'm not saying the same ratio of lentils to spices should be used in every dal (obviously) or they would all taste the same, however just wanted to point out that the Yeisir W'et, which the author describes as spicy, uses a LOT less! A few days after making the Red Lentil Dal for the first time, I pulled up several other lentil dal recipes online and at most, they call for 1/4 to 1 tsp of garam masala for the same or higher amounts of lentils (I guess I should have known better than to use 2 tsps). Went back to make the Happy Herbivore recipe again a few days later, tripled the lentils, decreased garam masala and tomato paste, and the dish was fine.

I considered making the Nutty Spread, which is a lower-fat substitute to plain peanut butter and blends regular peanut butter with beans and agave nectar. I quickly realized that while the amount of fat would be significantly less (about 25% compared to just peanut butter), the amount of protein would be cut in half, carbs and sugar would each be increased by 50%. I opted to just continue using small quantities of my regular peanut butter.

Decided to give the book one last try and make the famous Black Bean Brownies, which the author claims can be mistaken for real brownies and has been one of her most popular recipes. Unfortunately, they came out looking like brown tofu and tasting like ripe bananas with agave nectar. I knew my bananas were ripe so I omitted the sugar like the author suggested. The resulting dessert may be fine if you're craving something (anything) sweet, but to me, it tasted nothing like brownies and had no chocolate flavor at all. I'm sure the recipe can be improved (I could use greener bananas and more cocoa), but at this point, I am just not willing to experiment and potentially waste more ingredients.

If you're looking for fat-free or low-fat Vegan fast food, 30-minute type meals, this book may be great for you, but it did not work for me. I have since purchased the Veganomicon (by Moskowitz and Romero), which in my opinion is like the classic "Joy of Cooking" cookbook, but with vegan recipes. The recipes are a little more labor intensive but I have loved everything I've tried so far and am excited about cooking once again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vegan Junk Food., April 13, 2014
I am stunned that this book gets such high reviews. So, her philosophy is that fats such as avocados, olive oil, and nuts are bad, but textured soy protein, liquid smoke, gimme lean, and fake cheese should be used with reckless abandon? I've been a vegetarian my entire life, and have been buying vegetarian cookbooks since the 1970's - this is the most unhealthy cookbook I've ever used. I guess it would be ok for a person transitioning from Paula Deen-type cooking, or in place of a frozen Amys. Seriously, this is so far from a whole-foods approach, I don't even know what more to say.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for your Cookbook Library, January 19, 2011
For anyone wanting to eat healthy--vegan or not--this cookbook is a necessary addition to your cookbook library. Packed full of healthy, great tasting, easy to follow recipes, this cookbook will make you forget you are cooking "healthy" and just allow you to focus on and enjoy great tasting food!

Along with being vegan, I also avoid gluten and refined sugar, and I have no problem cooking out of the Happy Herbivore Cookbook. From frittatas to scones to dips and sauces to burgers, every recipe I have made has been delicious. You must buy this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars So-So, March 11, 2011
I am happy that she shows so many photos of the finished foods. And, that they are truly low-fat recipes. The book is great in that it has recipes for actual dishes, plus, mainstays such as bouillons and stocks. I do have two "cons" to list, however. Firstly, the print size of the ingredients lists is way too small! There is plenty more room on each page to increase the size, so I don't know why this very important information is printed in such small type. Secondly, she doesn't list "yield" of the recipes. It's important for me to know how many servings a recipe makes. I don't know why this important information is omitted.

1.0 out of 5 stars Skeletons of recipes, June 26, 2013
I purchased this book when I first went plant based and what a mistake. It led me to believe that plant based eating was destined to be bland and uninspiring. There are far better plant based, no oil cookbooks and websites out there. Save your money and check out www.fatfreevegan.com or www.carrieonvegan for recipes that actually taste good, or purchase Veganomicon.Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook

I have tried the following recipes:

Tofu Scramble: This is a good example of what I call a skeleton recipe. I added many more vegetables to this recipe and dropped the Dijon mustard. The author loves dijon mustard and Italian seasoning and it seems to be in a lot of her recipes. If you need an idea of how to begin making a tofu scramble then this is a good recipe.

Chocolate Zucchini muffins: These are good, but call for too much cinnamon. Plus, if you are trying to lose weight then this is not a recipe that you would want to make often. It is one of the better recipes in the book, though.

Red Lentil Dal: As Riley, MD pointed out in his review there is something terribly off in this recipe. I wrote in my copy "spices are overwhelming". Read his review of this book, as it really highlights what is wrong with this cookbook.

Blue Corn Chickpea Tacos: I did like these tacos, but you can find recipes just like this online. It's basically just tossing chickpeas and a few seasonings together and roasting them in the oven and then assembling a taco.

Smokey Black Bean Enchiladas: bland, bland, bland

Tuna salad: Do yourself a flavor and google mock tuna salads online for a much better recipe.

Cheater Pad Thai: This was just okay. Again, much better recipes out there for this dish.

Hippie Loaf: This smelled great cooking, but did not taste great. The consistancy was odd. This recipe is a good example of one in the book (like so many others) where the cooking time is, way, way off. A total waste of time and ingredients.

Portobello Steaks: I felt that this had too much balsamic vinegar and the spice combo was not great. I don't want to have to tinker too much with recipes and that's what I really hate about this book. You constantly have to make adjustments to the recipe either in cooking time or type or amount of ingredients. That's not a cookbook. It's an idea of a cookbook.

Chocolate Chip Cookies: These were actually okay, but again, are you buying this cookbook for the desserts, or because you want to lose weight and regain your health?

Black bean brownies: Hands down one of the worst recipes in the book. Weird, weird consistancy. There are dozens of black bean recipes out there that turn out well. Why would you pay for this one?

Brown gravy: Perhaps the only fairly decent recipe in this book.

Enchilada sauce: bland

Quick Queso sauce: Just okay, many more better recipes out there for this simple sauce.

I could go on, but here's the bottom line. The author of this book is not trained as a chef. The recipes reflect that. They are "ideas" or "skeletons" of recipes. If you are an inexperienced cook you will be very frustrated with the results, waste money and throw a lot of food away. You will have to tinker with nearly every recipe and adjust cooking time on many of them. If you are a more experienced cook, you will know by looking that these recipes need some help.

If you only buy one plant based, no oil cookbook, or are new to plant based cooking don't make it this one! Her subsequent cookbooks are more of the same. Most chefs take a long time developing good recipes. This author churns out cookbooks too fast, which reflects the slapdash quality of the recipes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings..., July 5, 2011
I've made about a third of the recipes in this book and I've had more mixed results with this cookbook than any other I've worked with. I understand that this is a fat-free/low-fat cookbook but sometimes the results were delicious and other times they were gross. A good thing about this book, however, is that most of the ingredients are easy to find in a supermarket and therefore inexpensive. Also, the directions are clear and easy to follow.

I liked the Pancakes, Chili sans Carne, Steak and Pepper Fajitas, Baked Shells and Cheese, No-Bake Choco-Oat Cookies, Vegan Worcestershire Sauce, and the No-Beef Broth.

The Frittata, Red Lentil Dal, Cincinnati Skyline Chili, Smoky Black Bean Enchiladas, and Sour Cream were inedible.

The rest of the recipes were okay... nothing special.