Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

86%
14%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 20, 2013
Got this book for our grandgirls (twins) at Christmas. Mother wanted us to keep it at our house due to the pop-up nature of the book and them fighting over it. We see them regularly and at 2 1/2 they both just love this pop-up book...they go to it every time they come to our house. When they first saw the helicopter pop-up (high/low) they were so excited, and still are, as well as when the large box pops up at the end of the book...and then when they self-discovered the small box within the large box...another excitement occurred. Lots of teaching opportunities within this book...colors, happiness, the mouse, the opposites...its interactive nature of pulling tabs up/down, in/out, on/off...lots of fun and laughter! Yes...pop-up books can get destroyed by young-uns..but so far so good...and if that happens, just the joy they have gotten and we have gotten from sharing this book with both of them is worth it! Both love books...but definitely will look at buying more of Carter's pop-up/interactive books! Totally recommend this one!

April 30, 2013: It is now 4 months since we introduced the twins to this book...it is still a go to book whenever they come over (3 days a week). Now they sit down and interact with the book themselves and I can hear them 'reading' in/out; up/down...laughing at the helicopter and still totally interested in the construction of the happy boxes (large/small) at the end....not destroyed as of yet...and that's with twins...we have lots of fun together with this book! Can't wait until they are old enough to get some of Carter's other books!
on September 21, 2012
This is a very cute pop-up book. The pop-ups are designed very well and the simple art style is nice too. I especially love the pop-up 3D yellow box at the end.

In terms of learning content, there are a few sets of opposite words which this book teaches in very memorable ways. I would highly recommend this book for 3-year olds (with parental supervision so they don't tear up the pop-ups).

There isn't anything in this book to teach older kids, but they may still appreciate its design.
on May 7, 2014
My son (aged 2) loves this book. It's so different from other books and encourages engagement.

I'm a child psychologist so can recommend this book for babies and up.. Beginning from newborn age. The contrast in colours and simple objects as well as ability to be interactive when they are ready to manipulate objects in perfect. I have already been giving these as gifts.
on January 22, 2015
I’ve been taking care of my now 7 month old grandson two mornings a week since he was 4 months old. He is fascinated by lift-the-flap and pop-up books. He has loved Where’s Spot? and Dear Zoo and worked at manipulating the flaps since he was 4 months old.

I got him The Happy Little Yellow Box for Christmas after reading reviews. One by a child psychologist was particularly persuasive. This book has also been a hit with my grandson even though its presentation of opposites is still a bit beyond his level of development. This, of course, is not a criticism of the book, and he always gets totally into it with both hands.

Some of the manipulations are more involving than others. The “in-and out” and “open-and closed” pages are not really very stimulating in my opinion, while the “up-and-down,” “on-and-off,” and “near-and-far” pages are quite engaging. The book is designed and constructed to be quite durable—a definite blessing, but some of the manipulations require at least toddler-level dexterity to be moved properly. My grandson is literally a voracious reader—he likes to rip things off the page and put them in his mouth, so the “high-and-low” helicopter has to be kept at arms length.

Overall a good little book that looks like it will be able to continue to engage a developing child for quite some time.
on December 27, 2012
Our baby really enjoys the popup and interactive bits of this book while at the same time we teach her reading (there isn't much text, I'll grant you, but still) and about proximity and dimension/proportion. Be careful about how much of the book is within baby's reach when you read, some of the pop-up bits can be easily torn by small curious hands. It's one of our baby's favorite books, and I'm betting we will have a bit longer shelf life in keeping her interest level than some other books she's currently enjoying at this age.
on July 28, 2014
David Carter is a master at engaging children in learning. My 21 month old grandson is so excited to see the yellow box move to different settings throughout the book. Sturdy tags on each page can be pulled without ripping easily. You can see the entire book on Utube or just buy it!
on December 26, 2015
I purchased this book 3 times. My kids love it and even though I made the pages sturdy by taping parts with shipping tape they managed to rip parts of it. The book is quite abstract and each pair of pages focuses on one action of the yellow box. Up vs down, in vs out, high vs low, big vs small etc. Illustrations are excellent to communicate these concepts. I very highly recommend this book for all parents teaching 1-2 year olds.
on July 14, 2013
Great little book; nice intro to pop-up books for my little 3 yr old granddaughter. She loves it, and is learning how to handle with care so it won't "break".
on December 20, 2013
My 2 year old is probably a little too old for this simple but clever book, but the last page is still a fun discovery for her every time we read it
on February 10, 2014
I first was introduced to this book by the children's librarian. All of the children and parents at story time were so happy during the reading of it that I knew I had to own it for my child care! Just seeing this book lights up their faces and each reading gives such delight to all of the children each and every time. Great for all ages!