The Harvey Girls
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Three deleted musical numbers: "My Intuition" and the original and reprise of "March of the Doagies"
- "On the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe" sequence remixed in stereo
- Singsong express audio track trainload of scoring session music cues
Top Customer Reviews
If anyone else had played the lead in this picture, it would have been long forgotten. This is Judy's show, all the way, and everything about it is designed to show off her immense talents.
She is at the top of her form here...looking lovely, singing gorgeously, dancing with aplomb, and handling both dramatic and comedic scenes better than anyone else could ever dream to. The biggest highlight of the film is the mammoth eight-minute production number ON THE ATCHISON, TOPEKA, AND THE SANTA FE which ended up winning a Best Song Oscar. This sequence alone is worth the price of the DVD, and the Warner Home Video people give us an extra bonus by presenting the number separately in TRUE STEREO! Astounding!
The supplementary materials are vast and beautifully assembled. The commentary by recently-deceased director George Sidney was fortunately captured for this release, and his thoughts and reminiscences are entertaining and charming. There were four musical numbers intended for this picture which were cut before release. MARCH OF THE DOAGIES and its reprise and MY INTUITION are the three that were filmed, and they are included on this DVD, looking like they were filmed yesterday (actually they look TOO good to have been filmed in this day and age).Read more ›
This dvd release is a true gift to those of us who are not only Judy Garland fans, but to anyone who has ever enjoyed the film musical. I won't rehash all the details found in other reviews of Amazon customers about the dvd, but I will add that the color transfer is simply awesome. It DOES look like the film was shot recently, not way back in 1945. The deleted musical numbers and the recording sessions for the songs is an extreme necessity for any Garland fan. I am really sorry they cut "My Intuition" since it's the only time Garland and John Hodiak sang together in the film, but I can understand why they cut "March of the Doagies." Don't get me wrong: I like it, but it almost looks a chase for Frankenstein's monster with Judy ending up on a stake being burned alive!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is one of my favorite Judy Garland movies. It is also piece of history and explains what the Harvey Girls did .... You will love this movie!Published 24 days ago by Karen Marie Hammond
If you enjoy classic movies this is a fun one for your list.Published 2 months ago by Grand Kathryn
Old fashioned western musical... Definitely worth watching on a rainy Saturday morning. Hey it's Judy Garland!Published 3 months ago by Teri Maryniak
Fun little musical with a great production of "The Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa Fe" number.Published 3 months ago by John Hughes
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Westerns
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Musicals & Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Westerns