Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 28, 2004
I found this book to be very limited in scope. Knowing first hand what the experience is like, it is and will be different for everyone. This book is based on 40 women and 53 questions...hardly a wide range of data when by the age forty-five 1 out of every 2.5 women will have an abortion. I do not agree with a lot of what this book has to say. EVERY woman's experience will be different and sometimes the decision made turns out to be the wrong one. This book does not take that into account nor do I feel that it really goes into the depths of the pain that can be felt having to go through such an experience. This book almost makes having an abortion as black and white as most of society has made it. It is not an easy decision, it is one of the hardest that I think anyone could ever have to face. It goes well beyond having a child or not having a child. Finally, my largest complaint about this book is that it dismisses those women who do suffer severe emotional distress afterwards by saying that they were more than likely "unstable prior to their pregnancy"(introduction). That is absolutely absurd. This is such a far reaching decision, why is having "severe emotional trauma following the procedure" any less viable than not suffering severely?

Not all terminated pregnancies are unwanted (as the book refers to the terminated pregnancies over and over again) sometimes they are just unplanned and sometimes there are just too many pressures from the outside world.

I turned to this book in hopes of coming to terms with my own decisions, one I have regretted ever since but this book does not take people like me into account. More needs to be said and done for women who go through this. More needs to be done to help them afterwards.

I am absolutely pro choice and have no religious affiliation so my review of this book is not based on being opposed to abortion whatsoever. Overall, I just feel that this book is very limited and it was not at all beneficial for me. I sincerely hope that others have better results after reading it though. Healing is extremely important.
88 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2001
This is a good book on emotional recovery after an abortion. I was helped by the book. I also derived an extreme amount of comfort from the book An Encounter with a Prophet. Althougt the latter book deals with much more than recovery after an abortion it was most helpful to me and I hope it helps you to.
on January 11, 2002
Free at last, free at last... from the pain and emotional turmoil that having an abortion has put me through. Thanks to this book, psychotherapy, and afterabortion.com, I have been able to heal. Contrary to other reviews "getting over" an abortion is not as easy as you think. If you need this book, it means that you are human and REAL with real feelings, regrets, or dissapointments. This book guides you through exercises that lead to emotional recovery and restructuring that therapy alone could not do. A ***MUST HAVE*** for anyone who has had an abortion!
on November 17, 1997
At sixteen I had my first abortion and at seventeen my second. This book brought me back to the days of my abortion and made me remember how scared I was and how I never want to do this again. I couldn't put it down I wanted to do all the exercises in one night but with moderation this book can heal pain, and also guilty feelings. By the end of the book I felt like I had really done something for myself and not some hideous thing. This book related to everything I was feeling at 18 years old. It is a must read for any young girl or woman who has experienced this procedure.
on January 17, 2000
This is a comprehensive book that speaks to women in all circumstances who have had an abortion and explores every emotion involved -- demonstrating ways to deal with each emotion, that feeling the emotion is "normal", and giving evidence that although women struggle alone to deal with their abortion-- they aren't alone in that its a complicated healing process that many women have experienced if not shared. I wish I had known about this book before my procedure so I had some idea of what I was in store for-- it makes sense of the struggle to deal with it both before and after the fact. As far as I'm concerned, it should be recommended by all professionals whose patients have had abortions.
on February 10, 1999
This book's title belies the even-handed approach the authors take with an often difficult topic. The book's rich anecdotes and tactical, forward-thinking perspective renders it more than interesting reading: the book is a tool that can be used by women who have had abortions and the men who support them. The Healing Choice should be required reading for hospital and clinic staffs, psychotherapists, and medical school students who need to better understand what follows the termination of a pregnancy. At the end of the day, this book is not about abortion, it's about the process of mending.
on April 30, 2012
As a psychotherapist with over 20 years experience running post-abortion groups, and as a woman who's had two abortions, I am appalled at the number of books that pretend to be non-biased but have an obvious anti-abortion subtext. Everybody DOES have their own unique experience with abortion. Some women experience mostly relief, others profound distress and regret, and many others experience something in between.This book is the only one I've found that refuses to take a political, moral, or religous stand and just helps women get better in whatever way works for them.
on June 21, 2005
This is a good book to actually start dealing with the emotions of a terminated pregnancy.It doesnt lecture,its not religious,its like therapy in a book.Thers's excerises for each chapter(questions about your emotions,ect)and even though it wasnt anything new to me,it was asked in a manner that made me explore things more than i had before.
on October 27, 1999
Any woman who has had an abortion should read this book! After burying my pain for 8 months, deep depression set in. It was only after reading this book and coming to terms with my feelings that my depression began to subside.
on March 7, 2014
It has been one year since my abortion, and I was beginning to notice that I was slowly showing more severe signs of depression and even some symptoms of mild PTSD. I was having frequent flash backs to being pregnant and the day I had the abortion, I was experiencing strong emotions at the site of pregnant women or when my friends on Facebook became pregnant, I avoided the baby sections in stores, I obsessed about having another baby to "replace" my first one, I was breaking up with my boyfriend because I thought the relationship was causing my unhappiness, etc. etc. Basically after 6 months of denial, I spent another 6 months becoming a mess.

This book was the loving friend, boyfriend, family member, and psychiatrist that I wish I had had over the past year. Every single page was filled with love, understanding, and a clear path towards healing. I tackled the book one exercise at a time, one section at a time, and by the end of it I had written over 60 pages in my journal. It was excruciatingly painful to relive all the circumstances, moments, and emotions surrounding my abortion, but as I moved through the book I could feel my heart becoming lighter and more hopeful, and my mind becoming more clear and calm.

I will never be the same person as I was before my pregnancy, but this book truly has given me the ability to accept these changes and grow from them. I highly recommend it for anyone who has gone through an abortion, or for those of you who are trying to be an emotional support for someone who has gone through an abortion. Thank you thank you thank you to the authors for writing this book!!