Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Healing Drum Kit
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Misc. Supplies|Change

on March 8, 2006
This kit works on several levels. At one level, it is an introduction to drumming as a healing practice, and how to use drumming to sustain and enhance one's health. At another level, it is an excellent introduction to drumming practice- offering progressive steps and assistance. I particularly like that the author speaks the drum beat pattern out loud on the CD and then plays it. I also like that there are cards showing you visually what the drum beat patterns are. I really believe the author has paid attention to multiple learning modalities (hearing or sight dominant, etc.).

At another level it is an introduction to world drumming. There are two CDs that come with this kit. The first CD is somewhat meditative. The second one will challenge you to play with world beat sound tracks. Awesome.

Additionally, the drum is small and compact enough to take with you on trips and perhaps even to a drum circle. My djembe is big, heavy and awkward to navigate with. My doumbek has a ceramic base and I am always afraid I am going to break it if I chance leaving the house with it. But this little drum I would, and probably will, take anywhere. Consider it the iPod of drums.

While the drum cannot be tuned, it is basic and functional. While the CD does not include video segments, what do you want for $31.00 ?

For the price this is an awesome kit to learn with and to play with. I am enjoying it so much. I bet you would too.
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 14, 2005
I just got this kit last night and I was very excited to get started on drumming. The drum beat helped me to increase my focus when I'm chanting and it allowed me to enter a state of relaxation more quickly. I highly recommend this kit to everyone!
on September 26, 2005
This drum kit created by Christine Stevens is absolutely wonderful, both for the experienced hand drummer and for the beginner. Christine's approach to teaching health and rhythm is accessible, encouraging and fun. You can't go wrong with this kit and is a must have for any health seeker.
on May 10, 2006
Rebeccasreads happily & highly recommends THE HEALING DRUM KIT as an introduction to the venerable healing process of drumming. As one of the oldest musical instruments in our Story, most every community has gathered around drummers(& still do -- for social gatherings from wedding receptions to parades, festivals to funerals) so that they may experience the joy of dancing the light fantastic, tell stories, & gain healing

How can we change the constant onslaught of the rapid changes in the rhythms of our lives -- on our commutes, at our computers, surrounded by machinery? What can we do to ease all the ragged rhythms in our lives, & find a simple, solitary practice that helps us access our joy again, creates a space in our lives to get in touch with the beat of our heart?

THE HEALING DRUM KIT comes in a sturdy box that contains a 10" Remo frame drum, a deck of 30 Rhythm Cards (what I call "playing cards") featuring beats from around the world, 2 CDs of music to play along with in the form of solos & "drum circle jams", a spiral-bound guide with drum blessings from various traditions, playing tips, & resources for starting a drum circle. By following Christine's lead, you will find the way back to the pulse of your life.

If you're new to the idea that you too can be a drummer -- it's like anything else, the more you practice the better at it you get -- whether you want to join in with the happy crowd or go off on your own, THE HEALING DRUM KIT is a great place to start. & it makes a unique & delightful gift.
on March 30, 2007
The Healing Drum Kit is amazing. I have always loved drum circles but have lacked one thing, confidence. The kit has helped cure me of that & I can not wait until our next drum circle. I do energy healing & sound healing work & I have used mostly rattles & singing bowls but not I have a new tool. I also do Shamanic style Journeying & until now have had no luck doing it while I drum for myself & now I am even making
progress with that. When I first saw the kit I knew I would love to have it but I had no idea that I would be benefitting from it so much in such a short time. The drum itself is a great size for travel & sounds great for it's size.
Mike [...]
on June 28, 2006
excellent way to bring out all of the aspects of drumming .... from healing to spirit to basic skills .... if the student is ready, this product will teach ... very impressed and thankful.
on November 5, 2006
This drum kit provides all you need to learn basic hand drumming. The instruction cds and drumming cards are very easy to follow. The drum itself has a very nice voice for this small a drum. I personally prefer a deeper voice so may eventually buy a larger frame drum but this offers a good start. I would suggest following the simple directions in the book for making your own beater which adds deeper sound capablitities.

I took this drum to a drumming workshop and had no problem participating. This kit is a very economical way of exploring the healing rhythyms of the drum and learning basic hand drumming.
on August 27, 2006
I thought this drum set was great, you get exactly what you pay for, It is great for people who are just beginning to learn how to play drums.
on November 22, 2007
I have used this drum kit several times since I purchased it. It is very helpful to have the CD's for instruction to be able to play along with the music. i however do not feel the cards that accompanied were useful to me. I have also purchased native american drumming music and have been able to play along with those CD's using my drum and with help from the instructional CD's in this kit.
on December 5, 2012
The instrument itself is not exceptional quality, but it is sufficient to produce the desired result. The CDs and accompanying instruction books are excellent introductions to use of the drum for decompression from stress. Allowing oneself to flow with the rhythm, until one becomes a part of that rhythm, is remarkably relaxing. Although it produces a weak sound, I have enjoyed using my little portable drum at impromptu community drum circles.