5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful guide for anyone buying or designing a new home
Published on October 20, 1999 by William Young

2.0 out of 5 stars Less Than Expected
Published on September 23, 2002 by Paula Thornton

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful guide for anyone buying or designing a new home, October 20, 1999
This review is from: The Healing House: How Living in the Right House Can Heal You Spiritually, Emotionally, and Physically (Paperback)
The Healing House provides an excellent overview of how the places where we live can affect the way we live. I would recommend this book to anyone who is considering buying or designing a new home. The most important section of the book contains the "Healing House Design Principles" which explain both what features to look for in a new home and why they are important. Harwood talks about home building from hands-on experience as a builder, yet she has the gift of being able to explain important building concepts in terms that are easy to understand. For people who are more technically minded, there is a technical appendix in the back of the book. Barbara Harwood not only knows what she is talking about, but she strongly believes in what she is saying. Her knowledge, warmth and enthusiasm are likely to change the way many people think about houses.

2.0 out of 5 stars Less Than Expected, September 23, 2002
I had hoped that the book would have helped with specific issues of 'design', as to how to 'create' or 'recreate' a home into one that could heal. While the author writes well, her background in feature articles was evident -- the book lacked continuity. While the introduction held great promise, I had to read well past page 100 to find the sort of 'detail' I was looking for (many pages covered healthy/healing environments which were not specific to a home, as the title would imply). While Barbara covered a number of 'needed' topics, her coverage was not as in-depth as I would have preferred. I often found myself 'scanning' for the meat only to end up in the next chapter.
While appropriate for someone who wants only to 'dabble' in the various topics, her high-level treatment might be appropriate. I was looking for more substance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Home is where the health is..., October 13, 1999
By A Customer
... and this book may help you find both. Full of practical knowledge and advice, it looks at the quest for a dream house from a much needed holistic viewpoint. I met the author in the process of doing a television news story about one of her unique projects and got to see firsthand how the principles of energy efficiency outlined in her book really do work. Ultimately, this approach can not only save precious natural resources and save you money, it can also help you find or design a home that is a refuge from stress not a cause of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's all true, August 7, 2013
This book opened my eyes to my surroundings and spaces and the healing aspects How they are connected and how I absorb the vibrations. A wonderfully written,penetrating, soulful message in it's pages..You cannot put it down,

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtitle is key: "How Living in the Right House Can Heal You Spiritually, Emotionally, and Physically", June 12, 2013
Met Ms Harwood recently and after several conversations I had to get her book. It is most ambitious as per the subtitle but it delivers!

Unfortunately we are in an age of cookie-cutter homes, "keeping up with the Jones'" homes, ego trips, etc. Builders unfortunately see profits and quick sales by building homes in the same style and systems, where a modest amount of thought and a little more $$$ ( which could be compensated by a little smaller size ) are what they offer. This is a tragedy for the consumer, the county, and the planet.

A good portion of the book covers the history of buildings, and our forebearers actually had many good ideas we need to consider. Refer to Harwood's book for many ideas: but an example that many know, but don't implement, is the use of windows facing south, yet with significant roof overhangs: one gets the winter sun to heat the house, and shades the summer sun. Simple? Cost effective? Then why aren't builders emphasizing this?

Ideas for implementing spaces for spiritual and emotional healing are mentioned throughout the book.

An intriguing note: the book was written in 1997, so one might validly ask, isn't the book obsolete? Not at all. Yes techology has improved the strategies outlined in the book, but these methods are easy to find on the web. But the motivations to help home occupants spiritual, emotional and physical needs are even more relevant today. Another example clearly described in the book, is often use of chemicals in building materials that hurt people's health: they (we?) suffer daily by needing medications, etc to heal allergies,

Last point: I think so highly of this book, I'm buying copies for my children so they can look deeper into improving their homes and bringing up my grandchildren in healthy oriented homes.

Used & New from: $0.01