Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 9, 2004
Wow! This was exactly what I was looking for. I read Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman and was looking for a true vegen cookbook with recipes that you could like.

It has things in there like vegetarian meat loaf, meatless chili, veggie burgers, lasagna, cheesless enchiladas, soups, rice flour muffins, pie, oat flour oatmeal cookies, falafel, dressings, sauces, wheat-free bars, beans, stuffed peppers, potato salad, and even cookies... plus lots more.

And no meat, dairy, eggs with very little (if any) sugar (uses fruit) or grains.

There's a recipe planner where basically if you eat meals from this cookbook, you are going to lose weight and get some extreme nutrition all with familiar recipes.

I've never eaten like this before so this is a first and I'm new at it. It's working for us, though and I can tell a big difference. Plus I eat until I'm full and have lost 15 pounds this first week (maybe some of that was water?).

Anyway... I LOVE this cookbook and it's definately organized and the meals are easy to make - as long as you have a food processor. I wish they had a hard cover version.
11 comment|139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2005
This book is great for people who aren't gourmet chefs or for people who want to learn how to switch over to a healthier lifestyle and eat more vegetarian food. The recipies are very easy to follow. However, if you are used to a high salt, high fat diet you will find the food bland. You'll need to adjust the seasoning and decrease it over time to acheive the full health benefits. This cookbook gives great ideas on some surprising vegetarian meals. It also tells you the nutritional content of each recipe.
on October 9, 1997
A great book for people who like to eat but hate to deal with complicated recipes. The week of integrated recipes and nutrition information is great. Try the yam pudding. All recipes are animal, oil, salt, sugar and wheat free!! Great when allergies or food sensitivities are a problem
on October 3, 2004
If you're on Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live plan then this cookbook is indispensable. Recipes are free of processes foods, oil, salt, and there are many wheat-free options.
on January 31, 2008
I've been on Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live program for over a year now. Lost a lot of weight and feel wonderful! Will be on this for life.
This little cookbook is a wonderful resource especially for those just starting out on a healthy eating life style change. And especially valuable if you are Eating To Live. You can open it to any recipe and KNOW you are making something that is good, and good for you.
I'm wheat sensative and this cookbook uses no wheat flour so a definite plus plus for me. He uses oat flour that you can even make yourself from the oatmeal flakes in your cupboard...so if you've got a box of oatmeal you've got the makings for a healthy dessert.
Another plus is it is concerned with getting good vegetable based meals into your tummy. The recipies are simple, and do not require strange ingredients you've never heard of. I reach for it often and it was a life saver when I just started out on my healthy eating journey...on those days when I just didn't know what to eat...this little cookbook always lead me in the right direction.
on October 16, 2012
I really, really want to like this book. However, it's a cookbook, and I haven't used a single recipe in it successfully. I see that other reviewers love it and wonder what I'm doing wrong.

The Applesauce Muffins were so crumbly and grainy they fell to pieces when picked up. They were also wet in the middle. I attribute the "crumbly and grainy" to the nature of oat and rice flour and the fact that the recipe has (no surprise here) no eggs, margarine, or oil. And maybe my oven isn't as hot as theirs, so my muffins were insufficiently cooked. I'm going to try them again with a little salt (recipe has none), and a LITTLE oil and egg replacer to see if I can't get a winner.

The Wheat-Free Bars, with two cups of liquid and 4 mashed ripe bananas to 3 cups oat flour, was just plain soupy and didn't even begin to bake in 10 minutes.

I tried the "Skillet Ratatouille" and we were overwhelmed by the flavors of tomato paste and apple juice. I put all of it in a deep pot with vegetable broth and MORE vegetables and ended up with an edible dish, but as described in the recipe, we couldn't eat it.

I loved the inclusion of a table for "Preparation of Grains" at the back of the book, but the first item, brown rice, is said to be cooked with the proportions of "1 1/2 water to 1 of rice." Try that and you'll have rice burned an inch thick on the bottom of your pan. It should say "2 1/2 water to 1 of rice" ... but that isn't what it says. It leaves me afraid to rely on the rest of the table.

At any rate ... I'm grateful for every vegan cookbook. I just think this one needs more testing by cooks other than the authors.
55 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2012
I have more cookbooks than I can count. As I learn more about healthful eating I pack many of them away and put them in my garage. I still have over 20 in my kitchen, but this is my "go-to" cookbook for my weekly menu planning. The recipes are simple and tasty. I usually pick a soup (I LOVE THE SOUPS), and a salad, and a pate (Love the eggplant one), and a desert (the strawberry/banana bread is a winner) per week. I appreciate that the recipes are all gluten free and vegetarian. I especially love that that they are also oil free. So many gluten free cookbooks try to compensate by adding tons of fat/oil. I have tried most of the recipes in this book, and every single one has been fabulous (I can't say that about any other cookbook). I've heard that they are coming out with a second cookbook soon, and I can't wait. I'll buy it the minute it's available. In the meantime....there is no better cookbook on the market. Love this!
on April 9, 2008
Like I said, yummy!! I "cheat" occasionally by adding a bit of salt, and sometimes just a tad of butter & cooking wine...but for the most part all the recipes turn out and are plenty flavorful. The best part is that I actually get full; this is the only cookbook I can say that for of all the literally hundreds I've bought through the years.
on May 26, 2009
The Health Promoting Cookbook is a must own. I have purchased it for all of my friends. I have been to Dr. Alan Goldhamer's fasting clinic twice and he runs a top notch show. This is the only cookbook that I have been able to find that does not involve any meat, fish, fowl, eggs, salt or oils. The recipes are tasty and simple to prepare. One can easily attain their natural weight eating the Natural Hygienic lifestyle. I am patiently waiting for Dr. Goldhamer to write The Health Promoting Cookbook II.
on July 27, 2008
this book has simple recipes that are delicious. If you are a Vegetarian, this is for you...and even if you're not a Vegetarian, these are great healthy alternatives if you just want to cut back on consumption of animal products.