Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on November 6, 2010
"The Heaven's Proclaim His Glory" is a very wonderful book. You really need to sit down, read it, and ponder. This book opened my eyes wide to the expanse of the universe. Trying to understand the great size of the universe is always hard, but this book did help. When I read it, I couldn't comprehend the greatest of God's creation, but because I couldn't it caused me worship God. The quotes beside the pictures really aided me in my worshipping. I love the photography in this book; and the Scriptures and quotes were very well chosen. I found this quote by Ann Graham Lotz quite powerful, "If God has the power to create and sustain the universe, how can you or I think His power is insufficient for our daily lives? Nothing is beyond His ability; whether it's a problem to solve, a marriage to reconcile, memory to heal, a guilty conscience to cleanse, a sin to forgive, a business to save, a budget to stretch, another mouth to feed, a body to clothe, a boss to please, a job to find, a habit to break, a captive to free, a prodigal to return, an addiction to overcome, or anything else we could name," How comforting and how true
0Comment24 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2010
This book is a compilation of pictures taken by the Hubble Telescope of our universe. Each picture is accompanied by a brief explanation or description of the picture. Along with this is a passage of scripture and a quote that expound on the brilliance and splendor of God's creation. The quality of the book and the pictures are exemplary.

As I was reading the passages and looking at the amazing photographs I was reminded of how small I am in the whole of God's creation. I am truly a spec, on a spec, flying around a spec in the spec of this universe. Especially when we remember that God's hand alone spans the universe. What is man that God is mindful of him? It is amazing grace God would send His Son to die for me alone and that He has a plan for me, a future and a hope. These were some of my thoughts as I was flipping through the pages. I think this is a good book to help you gain perspective and appreciation for the hugeness of God and His awesome power
on September 2, 2010
I requested this book because my son loves to look up at the sky at night and tell me how beautiful it is. He will say, "Mom, look at the stars."

This out of this world (pun intended) tabletop book is a beautiful illustration of God's handiwork. It is a page-turner. Each flip of the page is another stunning photograph of the galaxies, stars, planets, polarized light, nebula, black hole, and the changing faces of Pluto. These are just a few of the photographs highlighted in the book. Quotes, scriptural verses, and commentary saturate the book.

I know God created the Universe. I know it's vast and more than I could ever comprehend. I learned quickly how little I really did know after reading this book. I used to think galaxies and all the space stuff was boring. The explanations along with the beautiful photography snapped the boredom away. My attention was held until I looked at every single picture.

This book reminded me of God's magnificent glory. We have our own image of what heaven will be like. I venture to bet we are off the mark. It is more beautiful than we can ever imagine. We have a film over our eyes and one day the film will be removed. We will be unable to speak. We may have to cover our eyes from the blinding beauty. But, then God will adjust our world to meet His and it will be the best reunion that you will ever have. It will be a time that you will wonder why we worried about the things of this earth.

I highly recommend this book. This is one that you will want to keep out ~ on our tabletop for all to see. His magnificent creation should not be missed!

"The Heavens Proclaim His Glory" is a coffee-table type book full of full-color photos taken in space accompanied by poems, Psalms, and quotes from Christian authors. Each picture was labeled as to what it was and often had a short explanatory paragraph about what it showed.

The photographs were of galaxies, nebula, stars, planets in our solar system, regions of space, the Hubble telescope, and a few other space objects. The pictures were lovely, especially the full-page ones. There were also a fair number of photographs that were smaller--only about one-fifth of a page in size. Sometimes the smaller size was used to allow room for multiple pictures of different views of the same object.

There was a poem, Psalm, or quote on the page opposite of the photograph with a space and "God created the universe" theme. The text didn't take long to read. The photo information was usually on the same page as the photo. This meant text sometimes obscured part of the picture in the full-page photographs. Several times, the labels referred to "galaxy evolution" and "star evolution." A few of the author quotes also touched on the origins debate. All of the quotes gave God the credit for creating the universe, but there was one quote explaining why the Big Bang fit with the Bible and proved God exists (which, according to Danny Faulkner in "Universe by Design," is a flawed argument if you fully understand the Big Bang model and when you compare the order to the Genesis 1 creation account). There was also a quote explaining how there could be literal 24-hour days of creation before God created the sun, moon, and stars.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, though I did wish that all of the photos had been full-page since that's what I was mainly interested in. I'd recommend this book to Christians who'd like easy access to printed photos of the beauty found in space.

I received this book as a review copy from the publisher.

Reviewed by Debbie from Different Time, Different Place book reviews
on September 8, 2010
The Heavens Proclaim His Glory is a beautiful collection of both verse and photos. I was captivated by the amazing images provided by NASA's Hubble Telescope. I was in awe of how detailed my Creator was with His creation. The photos in this book are evidence that the heavens do indeed proclaim His glory.

You will realize what a tiny speck you are in the cosmos. The reality of how such a great God could take the time to know you individually will overwhelm you. The universe is vast and marvelous but we alone have been created in His image. What an amazing thought!
on September 5, 2010
"One light-year is six trillion miles.

The Milky Way Galaxy is 100,000 light-years across.

(That's 600,000,000,000,000,000 miles.)

There are about 350,000,000,000 galaxies in the universe."

So begins The Heavens Proclaim His Glory, a coffee table book featuring a colorful array of real images from NASA's Hubble Telescope. Comets, planets, stars, supernovae, galaxies, and even entire clusters of galaxies are presented in glorious fashion, while quotes from Scripture and Christian writers highlight the spiritual significance of their existence and beauty.

The images contained in this book are spectacular and awe-inspiring. Words will do no justice to the almost terrifying sense of wonder these photographs can awaken in the viewer. As the title of the book indicates, the heavens tend to speak for themselves.

That being said, I found the various quotes from Christian writers to be more of a distraction than anything, especially the anti-evolution stuff. I would have enjoyed the book more had it just stuck with Scripture. That way it could have had more room to explain in a little more detail exactly what was being depicted.

Regardless, the pictures are what make the book truly worthwhile. If you have any sense of wonder regarding the cosmos, you'll want to check these out, and I hope that Christian publishers will put out more books like this.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 <[...]> : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
on August 29, 2010
The Heavens Proclaim Your Glory, created and compiled by Lisa Stilwell is a beautiful and fascinating display of God's wondrous creation in outer space. Displayed in a very attractive table-top or gift format, stunning pictures courtesy of NASA are printed alongside scriptures and quotes from various individuals which point the reader to glorifying the Lord in utter incredulousness at His creative design and workings in our Earth and solar system, as well as galaxies beyond which we cannot even begin to comprehend with the naked eye while stargazing. The reader will find it impossible not to pause and worship our great God as they view and read this compilation.

It is also filled with incredible facts, such as the speed of the Hubble Telescope. Amazing and mind-boggling information is found within these pages! We both greatly enjoyed this book and look forward to sharing it with our children as they grow.

We did notice one minor aspect of this book that we feel detracts from its ease and beauty. Many of the pictures are printed on glossy paper, and we noticed visible fingerprints just from leafing through this work. But that is minor, particularly when we found The Heavens Declare Your Glory to be such as excellent book, and believe anyone would desire to have a copy for his or her own personal library. Very well done!

*This book was gratefully received from Thomas Nelson at no cost in exchange for my agreement to post this review.
VINE VOICEon August 30, 2010
Going camping in the desert where light pollution is minimal, we are able to see the splendor of the moon and stars with the naked eye. Much beauty is there to behold by just looking up. You can't help but see the magnificent beauty of the Lord's Creation. Yet, there is so much more out there that we can not see without the aid of a telescope. Even a high power telescope here on earth cannot capture even a fragment of the mysteries of the sky above. It wasn't until the Hubble Telescope started sending back awe-inspiring pictures that we could start to comprehend the expanse and beauty of our universe.

With stunning photography from the Hubble Telescope, Lisa Stilwell takes readers on a journey through our amazing universe. Carefully selected psalms and quotes help enhance the experience. The information with the pictures is presented in an easy to understand manner. (No over-your-head scientific explanations here.) Noticeably missing from this book are the millions and billions of evolutionary years. Instead, evolution is replaced with solid facts and beautiful scripture.

This book filled with gorgeous images from our universe would make a great coffee table book. It would also be perfect for enhancing a study of our universe.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
on November 15, 2010
Among my many interests is astronomy. I take the opportunity to visit planetariums every chance I can. Thomas Nelson Publishers has published a beautiful gift book in that vein, compiled by Lisa Stilwell, the senior editor of gift books. The book is entitled `The Heavens Proclaim His Glory: A Spectacular View of Creation Through the Lens of the Hubble Telescope.'

Here is a synopsis of this book:

Welcome to the Universe - a World of Magnificent Beauty! Our world displays the handiwork of God - in the land and sea, the animals and plants. But in the sky, the heavens, the universe...there's a realm of beauty and creation only recently witnessed by man, thanks to the amazing feats of the Hubble telescope. The Heavens Proclaim His Glory opens the curtain to a stage of unspeakable beauty - a stage where only God Himself can receive all the credit. It's a display that will leave you speechless and ever-so-mindful of just how small we are in the vast scheme of His power and might.

This song by Third Day, `God of Wonders,' always reminds me of God's Creation, especially the heavens. This video includes some awesome images:

[...]

This is a beautiful book! It is oversized and full of incredible photos taken from the Hubble Telescope, information on the heavenly bodies pictured (including planets, galaxies, nebula etc...), quotes from various authors, and Scripture verses that declare God's glory.

I love this quote from author Stephen Mansfield, which is printed underneath a photo of the Galaxy Triplet Arp 274:

What melts our hearts is not just that there is beauty in the universe. What melts us is the knowledge that God designed all beauty to show us who He is, as a symbolic language of the soul. All nature is God's wooing us to Himself.

Here is a wonderful quote from the amazing Frank Peretti:

Being a bit of a telescope enthusiast, I've sat up late on many a chilly night and marveled at all those brilliant little marbles, faraway diamonds, and silvery smudges, my mind boggled by the beauty, unable to comprehend the size, wondering at the time it took for those images to travel to my retinas. Does it make me feel small? Well, not so much as it makes me feel safe. You see, I know their Maker, and when I consider what Mind and Power are holding it all together, I'm comforted to know Whose plan it is and that He has made me a chosen part of it.

Not only is this book beautiful, but it's informative. Here's the description and brief history of the Hubble Telescope:

The Hubble Space Telescope is a space-based telescope that was launched in 1990 by the space shuttle. From its position 380 miles above the earth's surface, the HST has expanded its understanding of star birth, star death, and galaxy evolution, and has helped move black holes from theory to fact. In its first 15 years, the telescope recorded over 700,000 images. The telescope's instruments are the astronomer's eyes to the universe.

This would be a terrific gift for anyone who has an appreciation for God's Creation! It is incredible to have so many amazing photos from the heavens all in one book.

This book was published by Thomas Nelson Publishers and provided by them for review purposes.

Reviewed by Andrea Schultz - Ponderings by Andrea -
[...]
0Comment7 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2014
This is a truly inspiring book. I bought the movie October Sky and this book together. Consequently, I watched the movie with my grandson and then had my grandson read me this book.
Wow!!... we were both enamored with the realization that man's endeavors to search for the stars may have been sanctioned by the Creator. The results of man's search are beautifully and artfully illustrated by photos and scriptures in this book.

This book opens one's eyes to magnificent and unscripted worlds that truly exist beyond our imagination. The photos and scriptures raises one's awareness of infinite possibilities beyond comprehension. I've been watching the NASA channel when I can't sleep and was thus inspired to purchase this book and the movie. What a blessing!!!