1,627 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A great team
Why are there so few really funny female detectives? Janet Evanovich seems almost the only one who can master that, be it Stephanie Plum or now Kate O`Hare. One of the view exceptions I have found is Lisa Becker in Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery).

Published 15 months ago by Angel

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even a smile!!!!!!!!!!
I cannot think of anything positive to say about this latest Evanovich book. JE appears to be just cranking out books. When I read the Plum books I laugh out loud, but sadly I do remember even a smile while reading the Heist.
Published 15 months ago by Valerie A. Flynn

5.0 out of 5 stars A great team, June 25, 2013

The plot has already been described, I don't want to spoil anything for you. Anyway: We have a new dream team here with a female FBI agent and a former con man, both very attractive. Hmmm, I wonder where this is leading?

I don't know how much of Lee Goldberg is in the novel, but there is clearly an improvement to the last few Plum novels. The writing is light-hearted and charming, albeit without awfully many bright ideas, just what you like to read when the sun is shining. I would really like to see more of this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even a smile!!!!!!!!!!, June 24, 2013
This review is from: The Heist: A Novel (Fox and O'Hare) (Hardcover)
The female FBI agent Kate O'Hare was a US Navy seal, sorry folks the only female Seal was in the MOVIE G.I. Jane But as per the news reports
The US Could Have Its First Female Navy SEALs By 2016.
She could have been a SWAT member or trained by her Da. I do allow for artistic license.
And what happen to the recovered heist???????????? Who received the bounty? It appears that the true victims were left out. Questions about the ending one more chapter would have been nice.
I have read all of the 19 Stephanie Plum Books and receive Evanovich's news letter.
I have only written two reviews, but this book was a waste of my money. I will read book 2 in this series, but will check it out of the public library.

1.0 out of 5 stars Must be reading a different book, June 24, 2013
This review is from: The Heist: A Novel (Fox and O'Hare) (Hardcover)
I am very surprised at the high stars this book is getting. I am a big fan of the Stephanie books, although the last couple have been a struggle. I thought I would give this a shot because I like Janet Evanovich so much. I barely made it through 50 pages before I had to give up on it. It is a rip off of the show "White Collar" and it's just so incredibly unbelievable that I just couldn't over look it. I really wanted to like it, was excited that maybe it would be a fun new series. I liked both main characters and enjoyed Kate's father but the parachuting out of the plane bit was just a bit too much for me. I'm all for suspending reality for a bit but I couldn't do it for an entire book. Really disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, June 29, 2013
Tracy (GLENDORA, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I am sorry, but I must be reading a different book from the people giving this book a good review. This book is just awful. For the first 10 seconds I thought it might be a good book with a strong female character. Sadly, I was wrong. Kate, who is supposed to be a former Navy Seal and now an FBI agent, acts more like a love struck teenager around Nick (the con-man) instead of a strong female character with a good head on her shoulders. She has no professionalism around him and acts as if she has never been around around an attractive male in her entire life. Nick, is too arrogant to be anything but annoying and I really just wanted him to go to jail and stay there. Both characters have cookie cutter personalities and hardly any character development throughout this book. This extends to the rest of the people in the book who were also boring and very one dimensional.
Frankly, this will be the only book in this series I am going to read. Unless the characters in this book have some life altering personality shift, I cannot see any reason for me to continue with this series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, June 28, 2013
This review is from: The Heist: A Novel (Fox and O'Hare) (Hardcover)
Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg wrote The Heist - well, actually, the style is more Lee Goldberg. I got 30% of the way through it and gave up. Really feel like I should ask for my money back. Very disappointing. The plot was so unplausible that it was ridiculous.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't this a TV show in 1970?, June 26, 2013
bk (Spokane, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I've read pretty much all of Lee Goldberg's books and Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels. They both pretty much write from a formula, but as they join together for this book, it's like they're using someone else's formula and doing it as badly as English translations of Chinese product instructions. As I read the book I kept getting the nagging feeling that I'd read this story already --or had seen it on television ages ago. There was nothing fresh and new about it; after a third of the book I kept asking myself why I was continuing to read it. Terrible dialog, predictable events, --it's as though the authors were writing a parody that violated every single rule for generating a good and compelling read. I kept reading because I felt that there must be some redeeming quality and I'd just not gotten to it yet. Apparently not, the book was awful from cover to cover. I note that some people are giving this book rave reviews; I simply don't understand how that can be. I took 20 showers while tearfully shouting "UNCLEAN" and still felt sullied by the odious quality of this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but Not Great, June 30, 2013
KMT (Florida, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heist: A Novel (Fox and O'Hare) (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of Janet Evanovich and I am not sure why so many are raving about this book. Frankly, the characters were, for the most part, flat and not well developed. There were males who were part of Kate's team who all sort of blended in together and who became just names to me. In earlier novels, the author does stretch the truth, but, for the most part, the experiences and actions are believable. In this book, there is very little credibility and the experiences of Kate and her team are just too impossible to believe, and this may be due to the story line or how the plot unfolds. One character I did like was Kate's father, who played only a minor role. I wish he could have played a bigger role in the novel. In fact, I agree with one reviewer who stated he could easily be in a series of his own or could better be Kate's partner. Frankly, I think he would be better than Nick was in this book. In later books, he may become like Lulu is to Stephanie Plum, but he just didn't do that here. I see their lack of chemistry and mutual attraction/teasing between Kate and Nick as a serious shortfall in the book. Finally, I wonder whether the author, who has provided her readers so much in the past, has finally reached her apex and is possibly now going beyond her limits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meet the Pros of Con, July 1, 2013
This review is from: The Heist: A Novel (Fox and O'Hare) (Hardcover)
If you love cable-TV's "White Collar," the Evanovich/Goldgerg novel "The Heist" is for you. A distaff twist to the USA network series pairs FBI agent Kate with conman Nick for a series of ops so covert that even the FBI doesn't want to know about them! Goldberg picks up the torch from the late Stephen J. Cannell (master of the con-game tale) in this nicely-plotted story line; Evanovich fans will spot her trademark contributions (food spills, an indespensible older relative, and stun guns) in this first in a reported four-book deal. Be aware, however, that there are three different hardcover editions: one features a bonus to Evanovich's "Takedown Twenty" Stephanie Plum number novel; another offers the short Kate & Nick adventure "The Caper"; and the third is a "Takedown Twenty" autographed edition. There's also an e-only novella, "Pros and Cons," all of which left me feeling that I already was two stories behind in a series that just started.

4.0 out of 5 stars Use a "Con Man" to catch a "Con Man", June 18, 2013
Suncoast "Suncoast" (Sunshine Coast, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is an amusing romp of a book starring Kate O'Hare, an ex-Navy SEAL now a tough and successful FBI agent and co-starring charming and handsome Nicholas Fox, the ultimate international con artist who has pulled off some stupendous and very profitable cons throughout the world.

Kate is good at her job but she has an Achilles heel because for the last five years she has been obsessed with hunting down Nick who is a chameleon and has slipped through Kate's net many times. At last Kate gets Nick when he attempts to steal a rare and extremely valuable red diamond. She is stunned when Nick escapes on his way to jail but is totally shattered when she finds out that the escape has been set up by the FBI to contract Nick for five years to track down other con artists. Sounds sensible doesn't it - for example, how many ex-top hackers are now employed to keep systems secure from hackers.

The bad news for Kate is that the FBI expects her to work with Nick to chase other con artists or face years in the FBI wilderness. Not only does she have to team up with Nick, she has to become a vital part of the team for Nick's first case (or con) to take down an investment banker who has swindled millions of dollars.

This is not your normal FBI thriller. It is light, somewhat frivolous and humorous and would probably make a great movie (a bit like Ocean's Eleven). I enjoyed it because it was an easy and quick page-turner that had me laughing out loud at some of the most ludicrous situations. Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg have combined pretty seamlessly to create an amusing and different new series with some unusual characters, witty dialogue and some romantic undertones. I am sure that the series will be successful and enjoyed by many people.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong section of the bookstore, July 24, 2013
This review is from: The Heist: A Novel (Fox and O'Hare) (Hardcover)
Am I mistaken, or was this written specifically for teens. If it was, then my rating is unfair. The lead character seems to be what any 16 year old might fantasize about becoming, complete with glamorous, slightly dangerous love interests, kooky sidekicks, exotic locations, name-dropping fancy clothes (which, like any aging tomboy, she hates), and above all, the certainty of still living under the safety net of a doting father. It has the typical crudeness of a teenage imagination and none of the hardcore shock value of many novels of today. This all leads me to believe that it was aimed at a teenage market. So, if in fact this is supposed to be aimed at the teenage market, then forgive me. But if it was meant for adults, then do not forgive the authors, for they have seriously insulted everyone over the age of 18.

The Heist: A Novel (Fox and O'Hare)
The Heist: A Novel (Fox and O'Hare) by Lee Goldberg (Hardcover - June 18, 2013)
$28.00 $20.20