Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on June 25, 2013
Why are there so few really funny female detectives? Janet Evanovich seems almost the only one who can master that, be it Stephanie Plum or now Kate O`Hare. One of the view exceptions I have found is Lisa Becker in Heads Off (A Lisa Becker Mystery).

The plot has already been described, I don't want to spoil anything for you. Anyway: We have a new dream team here with a female FBI agent and a former con man, both very attractive. Hmmm, I wonder where this is leading?

I don't know how much of Lee Goldberg is in the novel, but there is clearly an improvement to the last few Plum novels. The writing is light-hearted and charming, albeit without awfully many bright ideas, just what you like to read when the sun is shining. I would really like to see more of this.
44 comments126 of 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2013
I am very surprised at the high stars this book is getting. I am a big fan of the Stephanie books, although the last couple have been a struggle. I thought I would give this a shot because I like Janet Evanovich so much. I barely made it through 50 pages before I had to give up on it. It is a rip off of the show "White Collar" and it's just so incredibly unbelievable that I just couldn't over look it. I really wanted to like it, was excited that maybe it would be a fun new series. I liked both main characters and enjoyed Kate's father but the parachuting out of the plane bit was just a bit too much for me. I'm all for suspending reality for a bit but I couldn't do it for an entire book. Really disappointed.
1818 comments111 of 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2013
I am sorry, but I must be reading a different book from the people giving this book a good review. This book is just awful. For the first 10 seconds I thought it might be a good book with a strong female character. Sadly, I was wrong. Kate, who is supposed to be a former Navy Seal and now an FBI agent, acts more like a love struck teenager around Nick (the con-man) instead of a strong female character with a good head on her shoulders. She has no professionalism around him and acts as if she has never been around around an attractive male in her entire life. Nick, is too arrogant to be anything but annoying and I really just wanted him to go to jail and stay there. Both characters have cookie cutter personalities and hardly any character development throughout this book. This extends to the rest of the people in the book who were also boring and very one dimensional.
Frankly, this will be the only book in this series I am going to read. Unless the characters in this book have some life altering personality shift, I cannot see any reason for me to continue with this series.
0Comment59 of 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2013
Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg wrote The Heist - well, actually, the style is more Lee Goldberg. I got 30% of the way through it and gave up. Really feel like I should ask for my money back. Very disappointing. The plot was so unplausible that it was ridiculous.
11 comment25 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 24, 2013
I cannot think of anything positive to say about this latest Evanovich book. JE appears to be just cranking out books. When I read the Plum books I laugh out loud, but sadly I do remember even a smile while reading the Heist.
The female FBI agent Kate O'Hare was a US Navy seal, sorry folks the only female Seal was in the MOVIE G.I. Jane But as per the news reports
The US Could Have Its First Female Navy SEALs By 2016.
She could have been a SWAT member or trained by her Da. I do allow for artistic license.
And what happen to the recovered heist???????????? Who received the bounty? It appears that the true victims were left out. Questions about the ending one more chapter would have been nice.
I have read all of the 19 Stephanie Plum Books and receive Evanovich's news letter.
I have only written two reviews, but this book was a waste of my money. I will read book 2 in this series, but will check it out of the public library.
55 comments63 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2013
I am a huge fan of Janet Evanovich and I am not sure why so many are raving about this book. Frankly, the characters were, for the most part, flat and not well developed. There were males who were part of Kate's team who all sort of blended in together and who became just names to me. In earlier novels, the author does stretch the truth, but, for the most part, the experiences and actions are believable. In this book, there is very little credibility and the experiences of Kate and her team are just too impossible to believe, and this may be due to the story line or how the plot unfolds. One character I did like was Kate's father, who played only a minor role. I wish he could have played a bigger role in the novel. In fact, I agree with one reviewer who stated he could easily be in a series of his own or could better be Kate's partner. Frankly, I think he would be better than Nick was in this book. In later books, he may become like Lulu is to Stephanie Plum, but he just didn't do that here. I see their lack of chemistry and mutual attraction/teasing between Kate and Nick as a serious shortfall in the book. Finally, I wonder whether the author, who has provided her readers so much in the past, has finally reached her apex and is possibly now going beyond her limits.
on June 26, 2013
I've read pretty much all of Lee Goldberg's books and Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels. They both pretty much write from a formula, but as they join together for this book, it's like they're using someone else's formula and doing it as badly as English translations of Chinese product instructions. As I read the book I kept getting the nagging feeling that I'd read this story already --or had seen it on television ages ago. There was nothing fresh and new about it; after a third of the book I kept asking myself why I was continuing to read it. Terrible dialog, predictable events, --it's as though the authors were writing a parody that violated every single rule for generating a good and compelling read. I kept reading because I felt that there must be some redeeming quality and I'd just not gotten to it yet. Apparently not, the book was awful from cover to cover. I note that some people are giving this book rave reviews; I simply don't understand how that can be. I took 20 showers while tearfully shouting "UNCLEAN" and still felt sullied by the odious quality of this book.
44 comments45 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 18, 2013
This is an amusing romp of a book starring Kate O'Hare, an ex-Navy SEAL now a tough and successful FBI agent and co-starring charming and handsome Nicholas Fox, the ultimate international con artist who has pulled off some stupendous and very profitable cons throughout the world.

Kate is good at her job but she has an Achilles heel because for the last five years she has been obsessed with hunting down Nick who is a chameleon and has slipped through Kate's net many times. At last Kate gets Nick when he attempts to steal a rare and extremely valuable red diamond. She is stunned when Nick escapes on his way to jail but is totally shattered when she finds out that the escape has been set up by the FBI to contract Nick for five years to track down other con artists. Sounds sensible doesn't it - for example, how many ex-top hackers are now employed to keep systems secure from hackers.

The bad news for Kate is that the FBI expects her to work with Nick to chase other con artists or face years in the FBI wilderness. Not only does she have to team up with Nick, she has to become a vital part of the team for Nick's first case (or con) to take down an investment banker who has swindled millions of dollars.

This is not your normal FBI thriller. It is light, somewhat frivolous and humorous and would probably make a great movie (a bit like Ocean's Eleven). I enjoyed it because it was an easy and quick page-turner that had me laughing out loud at some of the most ludicrous situations. Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg have combined pretty seamlessly to create an amusing and different new series with some unusual characters, witty dialogue and some romantic undertones. I am sure that the series will be successful and enjoyed by many people.
11 comment25 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 27, 2013
This is a classic caper book in the tradition of "Oceans 11," which is a genre I'm fond of. Unfortunately, it's a big letdown.

special agent Kate O'Hara spends her life trying to trap super-thief con artist Nick Fox. After a quick introduction that previews both protagonists' unique talents (she can kill a man 16 different ways with tweezers) -- and also their mutual sexual attraction - the two are thrown together to manufacture an operation that will recover half a billion dollars bilked by a bent banker.

The premise is promising but the execution is so, so flat. Big chunks of the book read as if they were lifted from travel guides. So we learn, for example, that the Banoa Bali Regal is a "five-star resort built on the pristine golden sands of the Tanjung Benoa peninsula. Once home to ramshackle fishing villages, the peninsula was now a prime tourist destination with high-end hotels taking advantage of the swaying palms, sugary beaches, bright blue seas and breathtaking vistas."

There are, unfortunately, lots of passages like that,.

The authors build the sexual tension between the two protagonists - and then it deflates like a week-old banana. The climax, if such it could be called, is a very damp squib.

I know these writers can do better if they only put their minds to it. Perhaps the lure of a big check for minimal efforts was too alluring. If this is a book about con artists, readers beware. You are the marks!
on July 2, 2013
I love the Stephanie Plum books and thought The Heist would have the same humor and wacky characters. It didn't make the mark by a long shot. It was disappointing and not at all what I expected. Wish I hadn't spent the money.