8,493 Reviews
 (6,848)
 (1,006)

2,950 of 3,124 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book in Years! An Instant Classic!
The Help is about a young white woman in the early 1960s in Mississippi who becomes interested in the plight of the black ladies' maids that every family has working for them. She writes their stories about mistreatment, abuse and heartbreaks of working in white families' homes, all just before the Civil Rights revolution. That is the story in a nutshell - but it is so...
Published on January 28, 2009 by JK8

1,021 of 1,134 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining - evokes the South at a point in time
Having grown up in the South with "help" until I left home, I identified with many things in this book. Stockett has done a marvelous job of evoking time and place, from the food to the weather to of course the dialect.

I would have liked to have seen characters that were a bit more multi-dimensional. The maids depicted here were for the most part without...
Published on April 22, 2009 by Goldengate

‹ Previous | 1576 577 578850 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars good read!, July 21, 2014
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
A page turner. Keep me entertained from the first page to the last. Highly recommended! I honestly wanted more. Also an easy quick read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Written, June 16, 2010
Sofia M. Bautista (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
I love books that have life lessons. This book was very touching and I couldn't put it down from beggining to end. Well written as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it, September 11, 2014
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
Good read it enhances what the movie left out.
Really brings the characters personality life.
Glade had book available. Good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down., September 3, 2010
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
Excellent book. This is the first book I have read in a long time that I just could not put down. I hope to read more by this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good theme, week style and drag., February 28, 2010
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
The novel has a great and fascinating plot and theme, but instead of 444 pages, the story could have been told in 250 pages or so. There were pages and pages of repeated ideas, conversations and scenes which felt like re-runs. The author sure has talent for good writing, but since this is her first novel, she needs a long way to go. Miss Skeeter was a hero, but I don't understand why she left her friends Minny and Aibileen behind, in harms way; while she ran for better and safer future. That contradicts her brave and good character. May be it is the way most human beings are...a mix of strength and weakness. Overall a good novel, and I liked it.
I gave it three stars for very slow progression and waste of about 200 out of 444 pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, September 5, 2014
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
I chose this rating because I loved this book I read it because it looked fascinating to read about since I never like reading books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Help, August 3, 2010
Excellent! One of the best books I have read in a long time. Monique, Illinois

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, July 24, 2010
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful read that will leave you sad to see it end and whose characters will stay with you long after you have finished the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed, May 17, 2011
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
I was not that impressed, I guess if you didn't have a grandma who was black, who grew up during this time period, and who to told you stories about what it was really like, then you would like this book. However, being an African-American women who had a grandmother who was from Mississippi who was a maid. Well then this book was really just more of the same stories I grew up hearing only much softer. Katheryn's description of how the maids were treated was a bedtime story compared to the stories I remember my grandma sharing with me. Also, the accent she tried to convey was pretty close but didn't completely hit the mark for me. It was just an okay book for me. I guess if I didn't have a personal experience to compare it to, then this would have been a good book. I think if I was a suburban white girl who didn't have any exposure to stories like this I probably would actually find this book quite facinating. Unfortunately, I am not so this book was a bit boring.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Help, April 26, 2010
L. Silver (Colorado Springs, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Help (Hardcover)
I just finished reading The Help and found it to be an eye-opening book about the relationship between black maids and their white employers. I grew up in the mid-west in a czeck-polish community where no one had a maid! I fell in love with Skeeter, who had enough courage to write this book despite many obstacles in the community. The two black maids (Abileen and Minny) took a huge chance to have Skeeter write their stories as well as the stories of many of the maids living in this Mississippi town. Kathryn Stocketts (the author of the book) descriptions of the town and these three characters made them come alive. I Knew what they looked like and what they thought. A great book. Read if you're brave enough!!!

‹ Previous | 1576 577 578850 | Next ›