Published on June 29, 2010 by Antmusic Fan

2.0 out of 5 stars Thriller meets urban fantasy
Published on February 3, 2012 by Kelly (Fantasy Literature)

5.0 out of 5 stars It is great to see this series finally available! An informational review., June 29, 2010
This review is from: The Heretic: An Urban Fantasy Mystery (Templar Chronicles Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Like many of you, I've been waiting for the entire trilogy of Joseph Nassise's "The Templar Chronicles" to come out. Over the last few years, these were all translated into German and released in Germany, but not in English. That was really frustrating. Full Moon Press was going to release them, but then they closed shop. That was mind numbingly hard to deal with. Now, thanks to Harbinger Books they are in English and available right here on Amazon!

For your information, the books in this series are:

Book One: The Heretic

Book Two: A Scream of Angels

Book Three: A Tear in the Sky

The basic plot: The Templar order has been resurrected by the Vatican to fight the supernatural dark forces that surround us all. I don't want to give ANYTHING away here though.

These books are a thrill ride of fun!

Also, for those not into the digital side of things, the first book is also available as a paperback (from 2005, here: Heretic: The Templar Chronicles). There is also the physical The Templar Chronicles Omnibus from Bad Moon Books that has all THREE of the books!

I recommend downloading/reading the first book, and if you like it, continue the rest of the series. BUT, don't read the product description for part three! It has a slight "motivation" spoiler in it. So, for those that like all of their mystery to remain mysterious, don't read that product description.

So, download "The Heretic" now. Give it a good read! The price is certainly right for the amount of fun you will have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous page-turner, December 14, 2010
The Heretic is easily one of the best books I've read all year. If you read and enjoyed The Adept Series by Katherine Kurtz and miss that series now that it has ended, this one is for you.

There are several POVs, but the characterization is outstanding enough that I ended up caring about several characters--a rare feat by an author indeed. The paranormal elements and world building are consistent and well-done. The pacing is fantastic.

This book managed to be action-packed and deal with military and Templar issues without being the least bit dry or preachy. It's got tough guy AND heart. The best news for me was to find that the entire trilogy is already available. I've already downloaded the second book.

If you liked Da Vinci code, this one is notches and notches above--everything Da Vinci could have been and wasn't. If you didn't like Da Vinci code and never got the excitement over the themes, give this a shot. It did everything right.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thriller meets urban fantasy, February 3, 2012
Kelly (Fantasy Literature) (Columbia, MO United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Joseph Nassise's Templar Chronicles series features a modern-day Knights Templar organization that battles the supernatural bad guys of the world. Its hero, Cade Williams, is a member of the Templars but has an uncanny reputation among the order for his psychic abilities. The Heretic is the first in the series and revolves around a cabal of sorcerers who is attacking Templar commanderies, slaughtering the members, and desecrating the cemeteries in search of a holy relic. Cade and his unit are assigned to the problem. The Heretic could be described as urban fantasy by way of a paramilitary/religious thriller.

As is apropos for a thriller, The Heretic includes a lot of action and tough-guy heroics. There's also a great deal of gore, so the weak of stomach need not apply.

Unfortunately, character development is sparse. There are only two women in the book; one of them is horribly murdered before the plot begins and the other is horribly murdered early in the book. Perhaps a Templar-focused novel was destined to be a sausage fest, but I can't say the men fare much better. There are more of them, but they're not well developed. Cade is given a touch of humanity by his grief for his late wife, but this is mentioned only in a few key scenes. The rest of the time he seems like a machine. The narrative is rarely introspective, instead simply giving the blow-by-blow of his outward actions as he orders and shoots and enhanced-interrogates his way through the plot. The other characters are less developed than Cade is. Perhaps the absence I felt most keenly was that of humor; no one ever cracks a joke. I didn't realize until reading The Heretic how much I've come to count on a pinch of sarcasm and a dash of gallows humor in my urban fantasy.

The writing is unornamented and occasionally has issues such as abrupt point-of-view shifts and repetitive sentence structure. The Heretic was originally published in 2005, however, and from the snippets I've seen of Eyes to See (The Jeremiah Hunt Chronicle), Nassise has grown in his prose writing in the intervening years. I would be willing to try another book of his one day.

The Heretic is not a horrible book; it just isn't for me. It could be a 3-star or 4-star book for a very different type of reader. This is a novel about manly men stoically getting the job done, with little in the way of stylistic or emotional frills. If that appeals to you, give this book a try. But for my own part, I must confess I like my frills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Darn Good Action Thriller for only $2.99!, September 7, 2010
This was the 2nd book I paid for and read on my new Kindle 3. I already have plans to get the next two books in this series. I love stories dealing with the Templar Knights and this is a good one. Special Forces for the church? You bet! Demons and magic and a Christian thriller as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Hero gets "it" done!, September 20, 2010
In the Heretic, Mr. Nassise creates a hero that is believable even with his special powers. This hero manages to get the job done, using whatever abilities he has. And he has some pretty specialized abilities. Slipping into shadow, Cade manages to go where angels fear to tread...with an automatic weapon in hand! Not all of his superiors believe that his abilties are "God given" and therefore, don't necessarily agree with his use of them. I found the knife edge walking between the two worlds very well written. Keeping the reader tied to the story all the way to the end. I've been waiting for years to get access to the second and third books in the series and finally Kindle has done it. Can't wait to get into them...

1.0 out of 5 stars Christian militancy not good fantasy, September 16, 2011
I bought this book because it was compared favorably to the work of Katherine Kurtz. In fact, both are in English and reference the Knights Templar but that is where the similarity ends. The characters in Katherine Kurtz's novels have a deep spirituality which imbues them with certain abilities and that leads them to oppose forces that will harm the world and mankind. The characters in this book have a religious conviction that they feel entitles them to go out and whup butt. Fighting ghosts, spirits and demons with machine guns? Really? The characters are shallow, the plot unbelievable (if the Knights have been fighting the supernatural for several hundred years wouldn't they be aware that something more than standard issue military ammo is needed?) and overall I was very disappointed in this book. If you enjoy the idea of a Christian militia going out to kick butts and take names, you might be impressed. If you are looking for a good fantasy novel with a system of magic, spirituality, good and evil, pick up another book instead.

3.0 out of 5 stars Templars and Necromancers and Devils...Oh My!, March 6, 2013
The Heretic covers familiar territory. Secret Order of Templars working from the shadows to protect humanity. Vatican cover-ups. A rogue agent who is the only person in the order capable of stopping the evil that has been awakened. Evil cult hell bent upon, well, raising Hell. In the hands of a lesser writer, this would have been a boring “been there, done that. Got the t-shirt” exercise.

Nassise, however, brings much needed energy and excitement to the otherwise mundane (mundane for urban fantasy plots, anyway) storyline. His writing style is concise, hard-hitting, and designed to keep the plot moving forward at an almost breakneck pace. Reading The Heretic is very much like sitting through a big budget summer action film. There is just enough intrigue to keep the reader engaged, but not so much that the story becomes a convoluted mess (as often is the unfortunate case with this sort of story!). The Heretic is a perfect balance of action and mystery wrapped in a handsome bow.

There are two minor points that irritated me (though neither point is a “deal breaker” regarding whether or not you will enjoy the story overall).

The first is that some character behavior just felt inconsistent with the way the characters were described. Nassise puts a lot of thought into describing scenes and setting up his characters, which made some of the inconsistent behavior actually stand out more. Right in the opening, we’re introduced to a character that is described as having exceptional situational awareness and training. And not more than a page later, the guy absently steps in front of a bus. I completely understand that people do in fact do this (and I also realize that this was supposed to be a little foreshadowing). But the juxtaposition between how the character was described versus how he acted was jarring. There is a lot of this throughout the story, and I’m not sure if it is deliberate to force a response from the reader or inadvertent. In either case, it is sometimes distracting.

The second is that there are no women in this book that don’t end up dead (and even then, I only noticed two of any note). I’m not a crazed feminazi that demands central characters must be female or that all books are required to have strong female role models. I don’t read speculative fiction at my age looking for role models. I read to be entertained. But the absence of any women, even in minor roles, was strange. Particularly for an urban fantasy. I actually went back through my Kindle version and did a search for female pronouns, just to see if I may have skimmed over something. I’m completely fine with all of the central characters being male, particularly considering the plot. But the absence of even minor, secondary characters of the female gender was glaring.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but the writing is sloppy, July 15, 2010
The sample chapter got me as it was well written, and I thought this was a great story idea, but the rest of the writing went downhill from there. For the most part the storyline was pretty gripping, but there were some problems with the Kindle version. It has difficult to read text, the sections run together, and the book is desperately, screamingly in need of a professional edit for grammar, style, and content mistakes. Lots of misplaced and misused words, weak transitions, and the analogies were embarrassingly, laughingly amateurish. About half-way through it seemed the author was rushing to finish it. (I know I was.) Poor sentence constructions and poor character development round out this book. When I saw the good reviews I thought I might be reading a different book, but I wasn't. I don't think I'll be reading the rest of the books if this is any indication of writing style. I wish I could leave a better review, but I can't, because I don't understand how the writer would leave this book in the Kindle library in its present state and charge for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Horrific, exciting, and a great way to pass the time, April 25, 2013
I read this book during train rides, as a way to pass the time. I normally dabble with the general fiction, romance, young adult fantasy and comedy genres, so this is one of my first fantasy/thriller novels and new to me. From my little experience with thrillers, I'd say that this is a good book. Perhaps its the inner sadist in me, but I found the book most enjoyable during the horrific parts involving the revenants and Cade's interaction with them. I read some of those parts in the middle of the night so I had trouble stepping out of my room because it was dark outside--a good indication that the book was very believable. Other than that, the main character is cold, intriguing with a dark past, and although we see him as a perfect bada*s most of the time, at the end his shell begins to crack, which adds more to the story. Overall the characters are pretty well developed, though I'd like to see more of the team's side characters. Sometimes I had trouble differentiating between Olsen and Riley. I might have been due to them being introduced a little too quickly for my taste. The story has very good pacing, with enough action sequences to keep you thrilled and sufficient breaks in between for a short breather and to build up suspense.

The plot about Cade's dead wife is really interesting, so I'm about to head off and get the second book now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced action and supernatural horror. Highly recommended., August 16, 2010
R. Scott (Southfield, MI USA) - See all my reviews
Cade Williams is a tough-as-nails Commander in an elite fighting force with a mysterious legacy - the Templar Order. Employed by the Vatican, their mission is protect and defend humanity from evil forces bent on destruction. Cade is the best at what he does, and is both respected and feared due to his supernatural ability.

Cade's fateful encounter with a powerful being called the Adversary lead to both the death of his wife and to what he calls "The Sight", allowing him to see into another realm. This is why he is feared by many within the Order and, combined with his questionable motives and allegiance, Cade has also come to be known as The Heretic.

A new evil has surfaced with the apparent goal of destroying the Order. Templar strongholds are being mysteriously attacked, and Cade's old enemy, The Adversary, seems to play a role. A new battle has begun.

The Heretic is an excellent story that never slows down. The sense of urgency continues throughout the book to great effect. Highly recommended.