5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Shannara Books
Published on November 30, 2003 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give separate scores for story and book quality
You don't actually need my review of the story; there are plenty of others. It's a good story. However, the formatting of the Kindle edition is terrible.

First, the table of contents simply consists of the book titles of the four novels in this edition. No chapters, just the start of each book. Inconvenient, but not uncommon.

Second, and much...
Published on December 28, 2011 by Just Bob

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Shannara Books, November 30, 2003
This review is from: The Heritage of Shannara (Hardcover)
The Heritage of Shannara series is, by far, the best of Brooks' Shannara series. The Sword of Shannara is good, but you can see where the author has developed into a better writer with this set of books. The characters are much more three dimensional, the magic is new and unusual, and the plotting is exceptional. Brooks is sometimes accused of being the Stephen Spielberg/George Lucas of the fantasy world, and he's certainly no Robert Jordan or Tolkien, but the books are good on their own merits. I feel like Brooks reached the pinnacle of the Shannara series with this set. The books that follow - The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara - don't come close to being this good. This set of four books in one hardbound edition is definitely worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't think I can recommend this one enough, April 16, 2005
This review is from: The Heritage of Shannara (Hardcover)
After reading the Sword of Shannara, I had my strong doubts about Brooks' writing. Since I have a nasty habit of buying multiple books of the same author at once, I was wandering if the purchase would be worth it. Reading the Elfstones and the Wishsong soothed my doubts a bit. The books were getting constantly better and I certainly wasn't down for a big disappointment.

But nothing could have prepared me for the Heritage of Shannara series. Compared to the (overall really good) books from the Sword of Shannara series, these are absolute masterworks. This time, it isn't four separate stories, but one story in four separate parts. And it is absolutely breathtaking. I must admit, the saga actually merits the adjective "epic" in all possible meanings. Brooks meticulously describes his world, giving it a feel unlike any fantasy world I have ever encountered save Middle-Earth. From the Sword of Shannara, which was an almost exact copy of Lord of the Rings, it seemed that Brooks was chasing Tolkien's ghost. Now, with this series, I might make the heretical statement that he might have caught up. I'm not saying this tetralogy compares to LoTR - Tolkien's masterpiece is uncomparable with anything else in the fantasy genre. But it is a wonderful work indeed.

Brooks develops his characters extremely well. The descriptions, as usually for him, are very convincing and give us a very good feel of his world. And his ability to intertwine plotlines between the various characters, something that many authors (take Jordan, for example) had been unable to successfully do, is absolutely magnificent. He leads three main, independent plotlines, with side events all over, without ever making me feel there's any lack of coherence or casuality.

What is even more important probably is that he managed to transcend the traditional genre cliche and the plot concepts are actually quite innovative. You won't be seeing the typical "hero moves against bad guy and wins against overwhelming odds" cliche very much around here, unlike in the Sword series. This time, the matters which the characters are set to handle run much deeper, the conclusions much less simple and the ways to them less clear. The development of characters is also something you'll surely enjoy here.

You're still having doubts? Don't. This series is absolutely magnificent. You won't regret reading this one bit, I can't really think of a fantasy reader category that would outright dislike this book. If you're wondering what fantasy book to buy and the alternative isn't LoTR, then hesitate no more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Overall a great addition to the incredible Shannara Epics, August 26, 2003
This review is from: The Heritage of Shannara (Hardcover)
After reading the original 'Sword of Shannara' back in oh, I think it was '78 I have been a HUGE supporter of Terry Brooks as one of THE most talented authors working today, and easily one of the most creative. When I first spotted 'Scions' I nearly fell over with excitement. Even though I admit I had absolutely NO idea what the word 'Scions' meant, I didn't really care! It said, 'Shannara' on the front and that was all I needed. I also admit as I reached the conclusion to this first novel I had NO idea it was book 1 of a series. I recall thinking with around 100 pages left to go, how in the WORLD could he wrap all of this up so quickly? My answer came at the last page when I saw the notice that the story would continue in 'The Druid of Shannara'.This did two things simultaneously: INFURIATED ME for forcing me to wait an additional year to read what happens next & it made me thrilled to know that I wouldn't have to wait 4-5 years before another Shannra novel came out.
I felt that 'Scions' was THE PERFECT way to start off this series. True to the history of the rich tales of the 4 Lands, the Shade of Allanon calls together the 'Scions' of the house of Shannara and charges each of them a task which on the surface seems not just difficult, but downright impossible. Par & his brother Coll are instructed to locate the lost Sword of Shannara. The Dark Uncle, Walker Boh is given the task of returning Paranor to the world and in so doing become a Druid himself -- which he despises, and finally Wren is charged with bringing back the Elves. Elves, WHAT elves? The entire Elven city of Arborlon disappeared -- literally -- years before and nobody has a clue as to what happened to them, and of course Allanon is vague at best in helping them to achieve these goals.
'The Druid of Shannara' has been my least favorite of all the Shannara novels and to this day I can't exactly put my finger on why that is. Maybe it was the pace of the story of Walker traveling to Eldwist to discover the Black Elfstone in order to restore Paranor. I was originally excited to see what would happen to him after his ill-fated trip which cost him his arm, but for some reason, the story just didn't move for me. Maybe I need to read this one again.
'The Elf Queen' is one of my favorite of ALL the Shannara stories. The voyage to the island, the travel through the jungle of demons and finally reaching the fabled destination of Arborlon was a journey well worth taking. Truly the high point of this 4 book series.
'The Talismans' has probably the best opening of ANY Shannara novel to date. Absolutely stunning the way Brooks takes us to the newly restored Druid's Keep and uses the Four Horsemen to trap Walker from leaving. I couldn't have asked for a better way to start off this final novel in the Heritage series. Unfortunately I've felt that with about 60 or so pages left it seemed as though the loose ends were all tied together a bit too quickly for my personal tastes, almost as if Terry was attempting to hit the deadline and wrapped things up way too fast -- but that is just MY opinion.
Overall the Heritage series is a great addition to the incredible Shannara Epics and 3 of the four novels are truly exceptional. Highly recommended, especially for fantasy lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful series., July 29, 2006
Chip Hunter "chips_books" (Gainesville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Heritage of Shannara (Hardcover)
The Heritage of Shannara series collected into a single volume is a great peice for a collection as well as a shelf space saver. This series outshines the Sword of Shannara series, as it tells a single epic story in four separate books, allowing for greater character and plot development.

This series follows the children of Shannara (Par, Coll, Wren, and Walker Boh) in their efforts to complete tasks set before each by the shade of Allanon and their quest to defeat a new evil that has taken root in the Four Lands. Grand adventure and impossible odds face the heroes at every turn and lots of supporting characters really bring the story to life. The first three books all primarily focus on one aspect of the overall story and then are tied together for a magnificent ending int the final volume, The Talismans of Shannara (which is my favorite Brooks book I've ever read).

A sweeping fantasy tale that I'd recomend to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some of the best storytelling..., September 22, 2004
This review is from: The Heritage of Shannara (Hardcover)
Staring out with the Scions, Terry set out a very broad story arc that had me captivated. it was straightforward enough, but left a lot of room that he could stretch his legs. One of the things that I have loved about Mr. Brooks is his ability to paint a great mental image. One of the things that I dislike about Mr. Brooks is his tendency to over describe the surroundings and I find my self skipping a few paragraphs to get to the action. Once it starts though, it's usually intense...

My favorite was the Druid of Shannara, which featured the reluctant hero, Walker Boh. I thought that the situation that Terry put him in was perfect for his characteristics, as well as the company he kept.

I would fully recommend this series, especially to those that enjoy Tolkein and the like. Both are long winded at times, and dwell on details so that you have the best mental image. If you're a newcomer to the series, I'd suggest that you read the first 3 books before digging in here. Not that there are a lot of references that would be missed, but it's better to understand the nature of the powers that the heroes weild, and the forces that they contend with. Great for long trips, or in the class that the instructor seems to drag on forever, you'll find yourself flying through them in no time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shanara fans rejoice - 4 in 1- Great book, August 19, 2005
This review is from: The Heritage of Shannara (Hardcover)
I was introduced to the world of Shanara rather late, age of 29. I read the first three books and enjoyed thema greta so, so much so that I went right out and bought the Heritage of Shanara as well. After all, four books for the price of one you really can't go wrong.

As with the Sword of Shanara trilogy I was not disappointed t ll with these books. They tell an epic tale, with believable characters and a unique setting that makes you just want to keep reading. I have heard from others that the Heritage series is the pinicale of writing for Brooks so I have yet to purchase anything beyond this series. But, even if you only read up to these books as I have done you will not be disappointed. Fantastic reads and a great epic journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes., May 27, 2004
Andrew Vogel "vogelz" (brookhaven, pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Heritage of Shannara (Hardcover)
While most of Brooks novels up to this point have been self-stories such as the First King of Shannara, The Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara, and The Wishsong of Shannara, this one is a 4 book long story. For the reader out there who loves a book that you can sink into and just relax and love the world -- this is it. High quality writing through the entire story, with great plot twists and a healthy atmosphere. You barely have time to dream about one plot line when you are met with another, and as the boy in everyone used to read books without being to put them down, this happens here as well.
A+++ without hesitation. My personal favorite is the wonderful detail of the city life that Terry Brooks brings to bear in Callahorn. Also the four horsemen battling with our one armed druid is awesome.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could give separate scores for story and book quality, December 28, 2011

Second, and much worse: there are no breaks in between paragraphs (i.e., double space) when there is a change of scene or change of character point-of-view. It's a very difficult read without this simple formatting necessity, because it's seldom immediately obvious from the narrative that there has been a scene change. The result is confusion until you realize that something doesn't add up, then you have to go back and re-read from where the break should have been.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring and repetitive., February 28, 2014
I couldn't finish. Terry Brooks is not a good writer. He's repetitive and can't seem to come up with clever ways to fill a word count without constantly telling us what the characters are feeling (mostly dread). This Heritage series was bad from the very first book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful continuation of the Shannara series., March 8, 1997
By A Customer
I read the first four books, and found myself wanting more. I went to the library and found the Heritage of Shannara and immediately read it. The series takes place three-hundred years after the last book, The Wishsong of Shannara. The Fourlands are in trouble when the vile Shadowen poisen the land, drawing the life-giving magic out of the earth. The scions of Shannara gather at the Hadeshorn and recieve charges from the long dead Druid, Allanon. They set out, one sent to retrieve the Elves, who later becomes the Queen of the Elves; one to bring back the Sword of Shannara, a youth that possesses the power of the wishsong; and the third to bring back Paranor, then become a Druid himself. The third believes that magic should not be used and the Druids not be trusted, but eventually learns to trust the magic. The scions go their own ways, and none are sure that they will even accept the charges. They are persuaded, and set out. Par, the youth sent for the Sword, sets out with his brother and a few others. He finds out many secrets, and eventually ends up with the Sword. Walker, the Dark Uncle, does not want to go to return Paranor, but is persuaded by Cogline, who was like a father to him. He finds that he needs the black Elfstone, and sets out to find it, but goes to the wrong place. He gets bit by an Asphinx, and loses his arm. He finds out later that the Elfstone is in an unknown region, and, accompanied by some friends and an unknown person, sets out to find it. They find many bad things, but eventually get out with the Elfstone, but at the loss of Quickening, the daughter of the King of the Silver River, and Pe Ell, the assassin. He also returns Paranor, and becomes the first of the new Druids. Wren, a young woman in search of answers, learns of an island called Morrowindl, and goes there. She finds the Elves trapped by Shadowen, and learns that she is a member of the royal family. Her, her grandmother the Queen, and a few others set out to return the Elves to the Fourlands. She gets them there, and becomes the Queen of the Elves.
Back in the Fourlands, Wren and the Elves face a huge army. The new Druid Walker Boh faces the Four Horsemen, War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death. Par faces his own fears, which are on the verge of winning ove him. The climactic end will enthrall the reader, and leave you craving for more.

The Heritage of Shannara
The Heritage of Shannara by Terry Brooks (Hardcover - August 26, 2003)
$35.00 $22.79