5.0 out of 5 stars In my opinion, the best Jedi Apprentice book!
Published on April 5, 2002 by Priscilla Stafford

2.0 out of 5 stars This series tends to get worse with every book.
That was OK, but I like to see more force powers in a book thatfollows Jedi Knights. Obi Wan's friends were immature, GROSSLYincompetent, and stupid. Obi Wan is as gullible as ever, and parsecs from the confident, self assured character I knew from the movies and the other, better books that I read. CLEARLY written down to small children in a way that is borderline...
Published on May 18, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars In my opinion, the best Jedi Apprentice book!, April 5, 2002
This review is from: The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, Book 3) (Mass Market Paperback)
After the exciting adventures in "The Rising Force" and "The Dark Rival", Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi are now Master and Padawan. They are sent together on their first official mission to the planet of Gala. For many years the planet has been ruled by the Beju-Tallah dynasty but now the queen has decided to give an election for the new ruler. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn's mission is to observe to make sure the elections go smoothly. But they never get a chance to even reach the planet as they are hijacked to the planet of Phindar. The Jedis find out that their hijacking had been planned by Obi-Wan's old friend Guerra and his brother Paxxi. For years the evil and cruel Syndicate have been controlling the people through shortages in food, medical supplies, money, and more. And if anyone tries to revolt, they take away they erase their memories. Guerra and Paxxi plead for the Jedis to help them and a band of rebels to stop the Syndicate. At first Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are reluctant to get involved, they change their minds when they find out that somehow the Prince Beju of Gala is somehow involved. But Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan must be very careful... or they might end up having their pasts wiped out forever...
One of my favorites books in the entire Jedi Apprentice series! There's plenty of action and adventure, suspense and excitement. The story doesn't end in this book, continuing in book four, "The Mark of the Crown". Jude Watson has certainly done an astounding job, the plot and story of the book is so unique and interesting and I couldn't put it down! I still enjoy reading the books as much as I did when they first started coming out in the summer of 1999.
This series explains a lot about how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan first meet. Their beginning is far from simple and all smooth-sailings, which would be pretty monotonous if it was. Though the books are said for ages 9-12, like many other reviewers I agree that the Jedi Apprentice Series are for anybody. Extremely well-written, the emotions, thoughts, and feelings of the main characters are very well put down into words. I also like the different array of humans and aliens which are portrayed, both good and bad; Guerra and Paxxi the Phindians with their strange sense of humor and their mother, Duenna who is so loving and sacrifices everything for person she loves.
The first Jedi Apprentice book is written by Dave Wolverton while all the rest (19 more books) are written by Jude Watson and are all very highly recommended from me. The books don't really 'end' at all, the books ends in either a cliffhanger or with a little glimpse into the future. Believe me, once you start reading them, you'll want to read the next one... then the next one... I can't wait for Jude Watson's next Star Wars series, The Jedi Quest Series with Obi-Wan Kenobi as the Jedi Master and Anakin Skywalker as the Padawan Apprentice.
Another Star Wars Series I recommend and like a lot are the Young Jedi Knights series. The stories are about Jacen and Jaina Solo (twins of Han and Leia Solo), and their friends as they journey on the road to becoming Jedi Knights. More on the teenager level of reading. For adult readings, a few selections I enjoy reading are "The Thrawn Trilogy", "Rogue Planet", "The Jedi Academy Trilogy", "The Corellian Trilogy", and "The Truce at Bakura".

5.0 out of 5 stars The absolute best in the series, December 5, 2004
A Kid's Review
Finally! Qui-Gon has taken Obi-Wan as his Padawan learner, right when Obi-Wan turns thirteen, and they are off on a mission to the planet Phindar, a planet ruled by a group named the Syndicat. The evil members of the group renew people as punishments. That means they wipe their memory, and send them off to another planet far, far way. Pretty cruel, huh? Plus, Obi-Wan gets to meet his Phindian friend Guerra Derida again, and Guerra's sister Paxxi. To paraphrase the two... not so! Paxxi is Guerra's brother, and they are both extremely likable, funny characters. Together the four work to outwit the Syndicat, plus maybe recover Terra's memory. Terra is Paxxi and Guerra's sister, but she has been memory wiped and now leads the Syndicat. Can Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, with help from the Derida brothers, foil the Syndicat's evil? Read The Hidden Past to find out.

I'm serious, read this book! It is THE best in the JA series, and definitely worth your time. You're gonna find it hard to put down, even if you think Star Wars is just a bunch of idiocy. This'll change your mind. Extremely poignant, with clever character designation and interesting environmental details, this may be one of the best books I've ever read. It rocked. Really.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Force Is Strong With This One, May 15, 2000
By A Customer
Having read all of the Jedi Apprentice books has made me feel as if I had a closer insight to what really went on with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. This perticular book really was very gripping and wonderfull. I couldn't put it down and I don't think you will be able to either. Going back with the Jedi is so great, but I must warn you this book is kinda emotinal. Trust me and buy this baby. May the Force be WIth you, From a fellow Jedi With respect

5.0 out of 5 stars Entence, Exciting, Can't Miss #3, August 13, 1999
By A Customer
Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have a tuching relationship that you can see in #3 The Hidden Past, when Obi-Wan was beaing renewed and Qui-Gon was morning for the loss of his padawans memory it was very tuching this book also shows a little bit of hummor in Qui-Gon. I hope that Jude Watson will make menny more Jedi Apprentice books in the foutour,and I hope that thay will come out very soon becouse I just can't get enough of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be disappointed!, July 21, 1999
By A Customer
Having read the first two books in this series, I anxiously awaited the release of the third title and once I had found it and read it, I certainly wasn't disappointed. This story flows right from the Dark Rival which is second in the series and still maintains the continuity of the characters. Again it is well paced and keeps you eagerly turning the page even if you are 36 and not 9 years old. It was especially enjoyable to see glimpses of Qui Gon's humor in this one. He certainly keeps his apprentice guessing. There's also a poignant chapter in which Obi Wan is held captive and faces the rather cruel fate of having his memory erased. He tries to be so brave and remember everything important in his life. Meanwhile, Qui Gon, not being able to free him suffers right along with him. Don't pass up this series because of its age recommendation. I can't stress that enough!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, September 19, 1999
By A Customer
Book three of the Jedi apprentice series, in my opinion, was successful, but not like the predecessing books of the series. The book's plot was astonishing, as usual, however the main subplot- the relationship between Obi-wan and Qui-gon- was distorted. Instead of having a bold foster father-son (growing) relationship, as in book 1 and 2, the author turned 180 degrees in her standpoint of the situation. While this hadn't affected the plot line directly, in my opinion, it certainly was a loss to one of the main on-going issues of the series. However, the book was intense, and I would recomend it to anyone who likes Star Wars, or is a big Obi-wan Qui-gon fan. May the force be with you!

4.0 out of 5 stars What a birthday for Obi-Wan!, October 13, 1999
Diana (Northern Illinois) - See all my reviews
Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one over the recommended age reading this series. I'm in my thirties and I've devoured each one, and can hardly wait until the next. The books are delightful and examine the fascinating master/ apprentice relationship of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. What a great team. This book continues on that theme and their subtle, but respectful relationship. Did anyone notice Obi-Wan's brother's name is Owen?? Uncle Owen from Episode IV perhaps?? I was really moved by Qui-Gon's mysterious gift to Obi-Wan. Great reading! Thanks Jude!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book of ever read!, October 6, 1999
By A Customer
After I had read the Rising Force and The Dark Rival I was just amazed and couldn't wait until number three and when I saw the Hidden Past there going to be nothing stopping me. Just reading the first couple of pages I got addicted to it. All my friends wanted to read and so they started collecting the first 2 after I read it. The jedi apprentice books are the only ones that I actually read and enjoy it. Since I live in Australia I have to wait a while for number 4 to come out.I wish I knew what the title was.

4.0 out of 5 stars And the story continues EXCELLENTLY!!!!!!, August 20, 1999
By A Customer
The author continues to flesh out not only the relationship between Obi-Wan and his mentor but also the personalities of both men. In addition, we continue to learn more about the beings which inhabit the galaxy "long ago and far away". I agree with the reviewer from New Orleans that a couple of parts of the story rush a bit, but suspect that publishing constraints may have been a factor here. I am looking forward to the next two volumes!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved #3!!, August 24, 1999
By A Customer
when i got to the market and discovered the book was there, i begged my parents to let me go read in the book department, i read for a striaght 2 hours and finshed, im pretty sure weird looks were thrown my way, a 13 year old reading the whole entire book standing there. it was a very suspenseful book, coundn't put it down and am slowly (but surely) getting the money to buy the book...and waiting for the 4th one of course!

The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, Book 3)
The Hidden Past (Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice, Book 3) by Jude Watson (Mass Market Paperback - August 1, 1999)
Used & New from: $0.01