4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun, FUN!
I am a 22 year old who loves active games on my Wii. I have never owned the other Just Dance Games because I figured there wouldn't be enough songs that I would enjoy. When I found out this was coming out, I immediately got my boyfriend to pre-order it.

It came yesterday, and I started playing last night. It's fun. We didn't want to stop playing.

The...
Published 21 months ago by BeauTi

3.0 out of 5 stars Different From Just Dance
Published 21 months ago by taaj

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun, FUN!, November 16, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: The Hip Hop Dance Experience - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)

The graphics are great, and the song choices are excellent. It's a good mixture between old school and new school. Love it!!!

The only thing I didn't like too well, is that they don't really tell you how to do the next move. You kinda have to figure it out from the little man in the corner. You can get past that though, because when you do it once, you can catch on easily or put it in school mode to learn the moves.

I recommend this game to any hip hop lovers. You don't have to be a great dancer. This game has levels for everyone.

It was so much fun! I imagine it is great for small gatherings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Own the floor!, November 22, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This game has awesome music, graphics and it has different levels so anyone can pick up and play. Like the Just Dance games, there are easy and difficult levels of songs in the Wii Hip Hop Dance Experience. The easy ones are actually easier than some of the easy Just Dance selections, but then Hip Hop has a steady and repetitive beat which makes it perfect for a dance/rhythm video game. I'm surprised that it took them this long to come out with this. They did a very good job on this one with routines developed by celebrity choreographers like Laurieann Gibson, Nicki Minaj and Dave Scott. The song selections are excellent and cover about 30 years of hip hop so there's something there that most everyone can recognize.

I have a couple of the early Just Dance games, of which I'm a big fan, but I like the graphics on this game better. I thought the dancers, the scenes and the special effects where all outstanding, especially for a Wii game. I like that you can see the instructor from the front and a dancer from the back which makes it a lot easier to follow, especially the first few times you do a song. There's also a little choreography card thing to the left of dancers that shows you upcoming moves. This feature was especially useful once I did the songs a few times and learned the routines. Like many of the dance/rhythm games, you can mostly move your hands and arms and get points without too much effort, after all it's the Wiimote that you're holding that records your moves. But once you learn and follow along with the footwork you're getting a good workout and can actually look like you know what you're doing even if you're new to Hip Hop. You get instant feedback in the form of Busted, Nice!, Cool! or Hype!!. Hype gets the most points. Your points are totaled up and it keeps track of your highest scores at the end.

Because of the repetitive nature of the Hip Hop beat, I think the easy versions are easier than some of the Just Dance games that I've played. But the upper levels are just as challenging. But the one thing that's puzzling is that halfway through the routines there's a "break dance" session that lasts about half a minute where, unless you keep moving on your own, you just sit and watch. Or try to follow the dancer who is doing some very advanced, on the floor, spinning on elbows and collarbones stuff. If your main focus for this game is exercise, it seems like just when you get your heart pumping a little, there's this break. What's up with that?

There are four different modes of play: Dance Party, where you just jump in, pick your song and follow the dancers, Dance Battle, where you compete against another player to gain or make them lose points, Dance Marathon where you dance til you drop and Power Skooling, the training section where you can learn the different dance moves. The Power Skooling lets you do each move over and over til you get it right. It's helpful if you're new to this because you can isolate some of the moves til they stick. You can play with up to 4 players. You can use either the regular Wiimote or the Wii MotionPlus. The Wii MotionPlus seemed to pick up more subtle moves. Another nice feature is a calibrator that's easy to use. It's in the settings and it adjusts for the slight delays between your TV and the game if there are any.

This would be a good game for parties because it's easy to pick up with enough levels that anyone can play. It also is a game that will keep you entertained for a long time, learning the different moves and routines. And because you can compete with yourself for ever higher scores, you can get a good workout while having fun.

Update 11/24/12: After playing this game for a while I noticed that there was no place to change the outfits of my avatar as advertised on this page: "Customize your avatar with hundreds of looks and accessories to express your personal fashion sense." At first I figured that I just had to rack up enough points to unlock the feature. But no matter how many points, nothing was unlocked. So I contacted Ubisoft via their website support. This is the reply I got 3 days later:

"Thank you for contacting Ubisoft Support. Unfortunately, there is no option to customize your avatar in the Wii version. That is a feature only on the Xbox 360 version."

I understand that Wii doesn't have graphics that are a sophisticated as some of the other platforms, but something like changing the clothing and accessories in a Wii game, especially when it's advertised that way, should have been included as it is with the other versions. It just ain't right. I'm deducting a star from my original review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different From Just Dance, November 21, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I thought this would be like Just Dance and wondered why it wasn't a Just Dance Hip Hop product. That's because it's really a distinct product. It's sort of a blend between Just Dance and Zumba, only hip hop style. This one feels more like exercise than dance. It is very repetitive. The choreography is not blocked like Just Dance where when a music phrase repeats, a dance phrase repeats (most of the time). It just feels random. There are 4 game modes. Dance Party rates your best and worst moves and gives you an overall accuracy score. Fortunately, there is a "Power Skooling" mode for practicing moves if you feel self conscious, competitive, or just can't get something. The third mode is the dance battle which is for two or more people. You really are battling in the sense that you are not just trying to do well. You are trying to reduce your opponent's score. The last mode is the dance marathon where you basically dance until you drop. The songs aren't particularly aerobic, so that could be a long time.

The song choices were decent. The graphics were okay. I didn't feel attracted or repelled by either of those, but the "Fun quotient" is just not there the way it is for similar products.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wii version does not have the same songs advertised, November 23, 2013
Ann M. Fisher (East Coast, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hip Hop Dance Experience - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I love this game! I would have given it five stars, but I wanted the Rob Base number as advertised. Unfortunately, "It Takes Two" is not on the Wii version. Neither is Wiz Kalifa's "Work Hard, Play Hard."

5.0 out of 5 stars This game rocks., December 3, 2012
Gloria "Glo" (Huntsville, AL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hip Hop Dance Experience - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My family and I played this on the Holiday break it is awesome. Up to date music and fun to play, great exercise also. I bought it for my nephews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Day n Night, New Edition, New Mixed with Old, Yeah Baby, November 25, 2013
This review is from: The Hip Hop Dance Experience - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
OMG, This game is knocking and you get a great workout in the process! The seller got it to me fast, and I been working it, this game is very addictive, if you haven't played it do yourself a favor get it play it with your kids and friends! Hip Hop it out.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWEFUL, July 24, 2013
This review is from: The Hip Hop Dance Experience - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I guess I expected it to be more like the Just Dance games. Even so, it was hard to follow and I can pick up dancing fairly well. I just didn't enjoy it but it doesn't mean others won't. I wouldn't recommend purchasing this video.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let the dance off begin!, January 10, 2013
This review is from: The Hip Hop Dance Experience - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My kids (10 and 8 years old) absolutely love this game!!!
The dance instructers make it easy to folloe.......fun for young and old!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWSOME!, January 2, 2013
This review is from: The Hip Hop Dance Experience - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This has to be the best dance game ever (for Wii). The graphics are amazing and unlike the "Just Dance" you can see the dancers as opposed to the neon outline in "Just Dance". The game is like a improved "Just Dance", its by the same people, this one also has way better music to dance to. I strongly suggest this game to anyone looking into a good game for a party, or just personal entertainment.

4.0 out of 5 stars dancer's thumbs up, January 2, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 21 year old daughter who's a member of 2 dance teams gives this her thumb's up. We also enjoy Kinect Dance Central but in her opinion Wii's The Hip Hop Dance Experience uses the caliber of moves you'd actually use on a dance floor in public. Here's the overall consensus of my three 20 something kids: Although both games are fun The Hip Hop Dance Experience has the actual music videos playing in the background, the graphics are better and the moves more realistic. Kinect Dance Central has the extra features of: you get to select your character, you can download more music choices and there's a fun feature of your dance being video'd and replayed in snapshots. Truth be told, both games got 80 year old grandma on the floor.

The Hip Hop Dance Experience - Nintendo Wii