4.0 out of 5 stars Can I get a...few more hits?
Published on November 23, 2010 by H3@+h

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a HITS album, not a best of....
As a long time Jay fan, i can definitely get down with a lot of these tracks. However, these tracks are simply the chart toppers, they come from individual albums (with exception of Reasonable Doubt, which is a "Reasonable" omission since its a Greatest Hits album in its own right.

Published on November 28, 2010 by Canadaice99

4.0 out of 5 stars Can I get a...few more hits?, November 23, 2010
H3@+h "Over 1500 reviews!" (thanks for the helpful review votes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hits Collection, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
As a casual fan, I've been waiting on a Jay Z collection for years. I got three of his past discs, and this should cover the few hits I was missing. 14 tracks on a CD is a little short, but hey. Glad to see Big Pimpin' and 03 Bonnie and Clyde here, and Hard Knock Life will perk my kids ears up. Must admit I wish Can I Get A...was on here, or Money, Cash, Hoes. Those and Blueprint 2 would have made this perfect for me. Chronological order would have been a plus too, as ending with Empire State Of Mind would have been sweet. Where's Young Forever? Still a solid collection, but I would have called it "From Jay to Z".

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a HITS album, not a best of...., November 28, 2010

If you have been waiting for a Jay-Z Hits collection to play at a party or in a club, this is it, but for the afficiando, these are the tracks that lack some substance, and as he said in his Black Album, this was to get his money right, not to improve his repetoir.

I enjoyed it, its worth the download, but i would really love to see a "best of" collection and see what they come up with.

Hope this review helped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jay-Z's Hits Indeed, November 22, 2010
Jay-Z has released a greatest hits CD and needless to say I have to give it a 10. We could always argue over the songs but I feel he got it as close to right as possible, the man has made a lot of hit songs. The Deluxe Edition with Disc 2: The Rarities is a nice touch, nothing awesome, just as titled some rarities, so if owning all the Jay-Z is important to you, pick this up.

4.0 out of 5 stars H.O.V.A. Shows Us What He Got..., December 21, 2010
As I am MUCH more of a fan of his wife, I've never really listened much to Jay-Z. In the summer, I watched one of his concerts online... a lot of the songs I heard are found on this set. The best album includes fourteen of Jay's hits, as well as five new ones. I'm happy to have bought it. The inclusion of "'03 Bonnie & Clyde" was the selling point for me, as I've never actually owned this song... but have listened to it hundreds of times.

After watching Beyoncé's "I AM... World Tour" concert film, I was looking to buy "I Just Wanna Love U (Give It 2 Me)," which is one of the songs she incorporates into her medley performances. Now I have it. The language on this album is somewhat excessively explicit (if that makes sense), but it only bothered me for some songs. I should have just bought the edited version I saw in Wal-mart, but I kept telling myself it wouldn't do. :P

My favorite tracks from the volume include "Run This Town" with Rihanna and Kanye West, "Bonnie & Clyde" with Beyoncé, "Encore," "I Just Wanna Love U (Give It 2 Me)," "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)," and "Big Pimpin'." The explicitness of that last track cracks me up. Don't know why. Again... :P

As for the new songs, I don't like them too much. They've grown on me after a few listens, but they can't compare with the others on the set. Anyway, I'm looking forward to a volume two, which will hopefully include another Beyoncé record. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Before You Get Sidetracked... It's Just Volume 1, December 8, 2010
I was a little discouraged by the previous reviews of Jay-Z fans. While trying to figure out whether or not to get this cd, a fellow fan wrote very eloquently, "A real fan should have every Jay-Z cd in its entirety." And, I do. So, this cd goes in the collection. And, to work since I refuse to save music on my work computer. For those expecting more than what the cd says it is "A Hits Collection" then you are reading too much into this piece of work. These are all the songs you want (minus a few since I do agree Can I Get A... and Money, Cash, Hoes could of made this volume) on one cd. These are the songs that, if you already have a Jay-Z mix on your Zune or iPod, made it to the list. So, if you are a real fan or just a surface radio fan, add this to the collection. All of these songs are the party hits. In rotation in every club when they do the Jay-Z set. Then when Volume Two comes out, hopefully the rest of the people who knocked Volume One will get what they want because that album should get a little deeper into the Jay real fans know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Compilation..., September 24, 2013
This review is from: The Hits Collection, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
I have been a Jay-Z fan for years. This CD is great to have in the car when I am driving. I love the entire CD and know most of the lyrics. Being a New Yorker, born and bred, I have much respect for Jay-Z, representing New York, the coolest city on the planet...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have nothing else by Jay-Z, get this one, August 20, 2013
Michaelangelo (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hits Collection, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
I've enjoyed a few songs by Jay-Z throughout the years, but after purchasing this CD, I've developed more of an appreciation for his music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, October 11, 2011
This review is from: The Hits Collection, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
You don't have to be a fan of Jay Z, to enjoy this CD. The music speaks to you...it is up to you to listen and get an understanding. It flows...just like the artist!

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointed in the quality - its terrible, December 9, 2010
This review is from: The Hits Collection, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
I agree with Rob, the sound quality is terrible. It turned my Shaker car audio into cheap computer speakers. I have a 1989 MC Hammer cassette that has better sound quality. I'm baffled how this was released in this condition, guess they are supporting digital downloads cause this CD sound quality is garbage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3, 2014
Excellent

The Hits Collection, Vol. 1
The Hits Collection, Vol. 1 by Jay-Z (Audio CD - 2010)