4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as described
Published on March 20, 2007 by Tim

2.0 out of 5 stars this is a review for the Illustrated version by ranzin
Like most everyone else who has reviewed The Hobbit, I've owned several copies over the years. From a tiny, dog eared paperback that I got free from a RIF event (Reading is Fundamental - they give books to school children) to this graphic novelization. Which is why it is so hard for me to write something bad about this book.

I flipping love The Hobbit...
Published on March 14, 2011 by Jennifer L. Rinehart

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as described, March 20, 2007
Tim (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hobbit (Paperback)
This is a fun adaptation of Tolkien's classic work and I enjoy it as such, but it is *not* as described here by Amazon. First, buyers need to know that this is a graphic novel and an abridgment of Tolkien's work. Second, it is *not* illustrated by Alan Lee as stated in Amazon's description, the illustrations were done by David Wenzel. This is a glaring mistake that Amazon needs to correct quickly. There are plenty of Alan Lee fans out there, especially after the LOTR movies were made with his assistance, and those fans may be disappointed to find the work of a different illustrator show up in their mailbox. Amazon also gives the wrong ISBN-10 number, though I doubt many will notice or care.

Having said all this, I have enjoyed this adaptation of Tolkien's work. I bought it primarily for my 5 year old daughter who is a bit too young for the unabridged and non-illustrated novel but is still very interested in the story. She loves for me to read it to her and she gets a fuller and more accurate depiction of the story than the 1977 cartoon video provides.

I recommend this work, but Amazon needs a fuller, more honest description of what buyers will be receiving.

4.0 out of 5 stars buyer beware, February 18, 2012
Amazon Customer (Bremerton, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hobbit (Paperback)
There are several sellers listed as having this book, but they will ship you the mass market paperback instead. When I tried to call amazon customer service, they were vastly unhelpful for a change. Best bet is to contact the seller BEFORE purchasing to ensure you will receive the GRAPHIC NOVEL instead of the MASS MARKET PAPERBACK.

I own a copy of this graphic novel and my 6 year old ADORES this book. This is a wonderful way to get a young person interested in The Hobbit. Yes, it is abridged, but the core story line is intact and the illustrations are wonderful.

2.0 out of 5 stars this is a review for the Illustrated version by ranzin, March 14, 2011

I flipping love The Hobbit.

But this version is dreadful.

First off, it has been abridged. Who in their right mind would cut out parts of the Hobbit?

Second off the writing is so teeny weeny and with the pictures running right into the center binding, I had to break the spine to get at the dialogue to read it. Tres annoying.

Third, this is sorta a recap of number one, but with the parts left out and then the pictures teeming with activities and characters, well, sometimes it was just plain hard to know what was going on.

Anyway, I think instead of this book, I'd rather buy the hardback version of The Hobbit which has pictures at the beginning of each chapter.

2.0 out of 5 stars avoid the graphic novel version, May 19, 2002
Unfortunately Amazon has mashed together all the Hobbit reviews. But the comic/graphic novel version is different enough to warrant it's own review pool.
I bought this expecting to love reliving the Hobbit in a visual format. But that didn't happen. This adaption is just flat and missing so much of the magic Tolkien created. I suppose that's a given when you replace so much of his expertly crafted words with pictures.
If nothing else, read the standard version of the Hobbit first before trying this. Reading this first will just spoil what a great book the Hobbit is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculous publishing, November 20, 2013
There is a need of magnifying glass In order for kids or an adult to read the lines in the bubbles. The author tried too hard to minimize the number of pages to capture the sense of the storyline in this comic book is just ridiculous. The printed words are smaller than a size of an ant. My kids strained their eyes to read the words. Simply over priced on the book though the art is more for older kids to appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Graphic Adaptation (Graphic Novel Review), March 31, 2011
"The Hobbit" is a great classic fantasy. Charles Dixon and Sean Deming risked the wrath of J.R.R. Tolkien fans by adapting the epic novel to a graphic version, illustrated by David Wenzel. I have read "The Hobbit" many times and I worried that the adaptation would leave out too much of the original. The adaptation does leave out some things. However, I was impressed that Dixon and Deming captured the essence of "The Hobbit."

"The Hobbit" is the tale of one Bilbo Baggins of Hobbiton. Gandalf the wizard enlists Bilbo to go on a journey to Lonely Mountain. Gandalf the wizard lists Bilbo's profession as burglar, which seems humorous until a reader realizes the full scope of Bilbo's role.

The journey to Lonely Mountain is fraught with adventure and danger, and some members of the party encounter great peril. Indeed, not everyone in the party who began the adventure was able to see the end of the adventure.

"The Hobbit" is a subtle story in some ways in that Tolkien wrote the novel without explaining much about the world of "The Hobbit." We learn much about Bilbo's world through interaction with the world, which is more typical of contemporary novels than fantasy novels, and is part of the reason "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" are such great stories. However, Tolkien spent incredible effort in creating the history and mythology of both novels and drew on his created history and mythology to provide great depth to both novels (note that I am treating "The Lord of the Rings" as a single novel rather than a trilogy). The graphic novel does a nice job of adapting Tolkien's approach to "The Hobbit."

We have an animated version of "The Hobbit" and a live action version of "The Lord of the Rings" for comparison to this novel. In general, Wenzel's illustrations are reasonably good. My only complaint is that some of the perspective views of the Bilbo made him appear too thin. I also note that Bilbo appears just a little cartoonish as compared to the other characters, which compare very favorably to director Peter Jackson's film characters. Perhaps species is a better term, since only a few characters from "The Hobbit" appear in "The Lord of the Rings."

While I am happy to have this graphic novel, I have already read "The Hobbit" several times and plan to read it again in the coming year. This graphic novel is not a substitute for Tolkien's prose. I recommend reading that book before purchasing this graphic novel because there is much more detail and much to enjoy in the Tolkien original. Though this graphic novel stands on its own, it is much like reading an abridged version of the original.

In the realm of versions of "The Hobbit," the original remains the best. However, I think this graphic novel is superior to the 1977 Rankin-Bass animated version. Regardless of which format you have, they are all worth enjoying if you are a fan.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a comic book, but we knew that and we really like it., April 23, 2014
DK "Coach" (Colorado Rockies) - See all my reviews
We loved it, but please know that this is the graphic novel (comic book) of an abridged version of Tolkien's work. I might go so far as to say the abridgement into the dialogue bubbles of a comic book was something of a failure, however I read it to my 6 year old, and with my editorial work on the fly, it was a great read. We both loved the illustrations and unlike the Jackson movies, this re-telling is much truer to J.R.R.'s style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading made Fun, June 5, 2001
By A Customer
When i opened this book i didn't realize it was in a comic book format. It made me buy it instantly. As a huge comic book fan i knew that i needed to add this book to my collection. The art on the cover is amazing (Front and back) and the inside is no joke either. Great for someone if they are a fan of the stories and surely a neccessity to a collector.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this for my son, he carries it everywhere with him., January 5, 2013
My son is seven and is really into reading and most recently really got into The Lord of the Rings so I thought he'd like this. The illustrations are beautiful, and the dialog is Tolkien's original writing. I think it's a great introduction to Tolkien for my son because, although The Hobbit is technically "a children's story," my son is still in the beginning stages of reading where illustrations still help out a lot. Also, from an adult fan's perspective, it's just a need piece to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy for grownups, December 25, 2012
This review is from: The Hobbit (Paperback)
Completely engaging, colorful, character lessons, humour, adventure, imagination...it's all here. Stands on its own but is the doorway to the Fellowship trilogy, which is also fantastic and super-engaging; clarity and beauty.

The Hobbit
The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - 1991)
Used & New from: $4.85