4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good
I enjoyed this book. The very simple horrific monsters were fun. You could tell this isn't a perfectly published book because of the spelling and/ or grammatical errors throughout but I didn't care. Thanks for the fun read.
Published on November 20, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars HP Lovecraft and the Book of Mormon
Published on August 16, 2011 by Grognaurd

3.0 out of 5 stars HP Lovecraft and the Book of Mormon, August 16, 2011
This review is from: The Hole (Kindle Edition)
The story starts after the end of the world with a couple of people in Virginia. One says they have to go to Salt Lake, Utah and that is good enough for the other. The book describes their journey. It reminded me of a Lovecraft novel. Take ol' H.P. out of New England and drop him in Utah with familiarity of the Book of Mormon and you can get a feel for the story-type. There are insane religious fanatics worshipping elder gods with some really messed up monsters with just enough humanity in them to be recognizable and tear at the psyche of the characters and reader.
Along the way I kept saying to myself, "Damn, I have not done enough drugs to keep up with this story." The divine hand guiding the heroes is too heavy handed for me. Hero goes to sleep and wakes up with the "I win" button in their hands. Have it occur a couple of times and it really takes the tension away there just isn't a real threat. It is as if Bullwinkle says hey, rocky watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat. But, instead of a wand of wonder in the form of a hat, it is Batman's utility belt and always has the right gadget at just the right time.
I could not really become attached to the characters. Well, I did bond with the dog, but I am a softy that way. Maybe if I had more familiarity with the Book of Mormon it might make more sense. Sure, I have a feel for the historical and geographical references, but not enough to know of that monster that's an XYZ from chapter abc. In my opinion, the book is pretty average. It is not bad. It is not great. So, I rate it ***

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darn good, November 20, 2011
Amazon Customer (BRIGHTON, COLORADO, United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique Story., August 3, 2011
This review is from: The Hole (Kindle Edition)
A plague has swept the world and most of the human race has died. Others that did not die became something else. Two survivors join forces to go on a journey that has called to them. They don't know where they're going but events lead them to their final destination.

I really enjoyed how all of this books mysteries and clues came together at the end. Very well written and a unique story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Provocative Tale, September 7, 2011
This review is from: The Hole (Paperback)
An engaging read with a startling ending, a futuristic interpretation of the Book of Mormon, the saga of a pair of unlikely heroes.

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars for a sensational read., August 14, 2011
LIVING DEAD CORNER REVIEW

THE HOLE by AARON ROSS POWELL is an intriguing tale of discovery set in a post-apocalyptic world where a plague has swept through, ostensibly killing everyone except for the main characters, Elliot and Evajean. I was hooked from the first sentence. As I read, I learned things as the protagonists did, which drew me even more to the story. This book is a mystery up until the very end, and as I said before, it is this way for the characters as well.

THE HOLE is somewhat reminiscent of some Stephen King books. I'm not talking about the story itself, rather, how everything unfolds. There is a strong supernatural element to this book. If it weren't written so well I might have found myself not believing it, but as the case is, POWELL is an excellent writer and ties everything in nicely. As well, it has a strong religious undertone that you won't find out about until near the end. In no way, shape or form, is this book preaching anything, so don't let that deter you. It just sets the pace for an entertaining read.

While this is a slower-paced book, POWELL sucks you in through his strong character development. Both are well-thought out, and are the epitome "your average person." But, as you read along, you'll find out that these two aren't so average, and the best part is, they don't even know it, either. As the events unfold, their trek across a nation filled with religious zealots and "crazies" and eventually unconventional monsters, you gradually are able to grasp the goings on. When said trek was first brought up it really felt pushed, and I found myself asking why these people would travel halfway across the country for reasons which they can't even explain. But as you read on, you'll find that there is a reason, and you'll do this alongside Elliot and Evajean.

I found the crazies in this book to be very haunting, as they weren't what I expected. Some are feral, violent beings that wish to bring only pain and despair, while others give chase to the two survivors only to stop and speak gibberish. While this may sound strange (and it does), these are a separate "faction" of crazies. In the end we find out that the plague that wasn't a plague at all, rather, an event so well-thought out that all the gibberish and encounters with non-violent crazies actually makes sense.

I'm not a fan of spoilers so I won't go into great detail, but THE HOLE is best described as a post-apocalyptic world where two people learn that they are more than what they think. That they have a purpose unbeknownst to them until the very end. And the end is where all the answers are. I was left satisfied, and I will definitely be looking for more work from this author.

I read the Permuted Press re-release, so it doesn't have too many grammatical errors some of the old reviews mention. Only a few - and it in no way detracts from the story. My only gripe with this book is that I felt the two people who eventually helped Elliot and Evajean along the way were throwaway characters. Not that this is entirely a bad thing, but I felt that if they'd survived a bit longer they could have added even more to the story than they already had. But I suspect their purpose was only to move things along, not to prematurely give away the ending. And that is what I feel this story was about; the ending.

While this isn't your typical apocalyptic scenario, POWELL breaks the bounds with THE HOLE and its characters. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a fulfilling, mind-jarring read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Liked It!, December 3, 2008
I am a huge fan of end of the world stories. This has an interesting premise! I liked the beginning alot. The ending kind of lost me, but it is a work in progress. I liked most of the story! I think it would benefit greatly from some editing!
Edited 2011
This review was for the unedited rough draft edition of this book. The book that is now out is an edited version of what I originally read. I have not paid the additional 9.99 to read this new edition. Just wanted to clarify. The ending I read was very disorganized, and it did not make any sense. I hope the new version has a better ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Apocalypse as it should be, August 11, 2011
This review is from: The Hole (Paperback)
Lovecraft, Romero, and a bit of Poe can be seen as some of the influences for this work. Zombie Apocalypse to me always sounds like a fun time but this takes it in a different direction all together. Powell does a great job of throwing you right into the story from the beginning. There is the typical horror cliches but in this Powell is able to poke fun while at the same time having you on the edge of your seat waiting for what happens next. This was an enjoyable read for me and kept me hooked until the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh take on the apocalypse yarn, December 3, 2012
This review is from: The Hole (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. I picked it up not knowing much about it, and even after 100 pages I had absolutely no idea where the story was headed. I think that's the book's best attribute -- it's highly unpredictable for such a tired genre (end-of-the-world horror fiction) and it feels like something original with new ideas rather than familiar retread. Powell does a great job creating his own kind of post-apocalyptic world, and that had me hooked more so than hoping for answers to mysteries or plot points. And the ending...well, let's just saw I've read a lot of horror fiction and I don't think I ever read anything quite like the final chapters of The Hole. Looking forward to Powell's next book...

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, December 3, 2012
This review is from: The Hole (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I expected. It has a good storyline, though it was a bit vague and confusing at times. The ending was too abrupt, and I would have liked more info on what happened after. If you like apocalyptic books, I recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ready for something weird?, December 1, 2011
This review is from: The Hole (Paperback)
Powell gives the zombie fan their usual survival/fighting/gore aspects in The Hole, but he also contributed some conceptual elements that most zombie novels lack. The mythological/religious aspects were a nice departure from the usual ho-hum explanations for what's going on in his world. It's evident that he had a direction and inspiration for the novel, though upon occasion the plot progression did feel a little sluggish.

The Hole