"As a former assistant myself, I know well the dirty little secret of Hollywood ... all knowledge resides with the Hollywood Power Player's assistants; they are the ones who know how to get things done. The only danger in reading this book is that if you become too good an assistant, your boss will never let you go on to bigger and better things. Read this book—it will tell you what to do!"
—Laura Ziskin, producer, Spiderman 1, 2, and 3
From the Back Cover
It's the assistant, and here at last is the essential book for how to get a foot in the door and begin your exhilarating climb to Hollywood Power Player. The Hollywood Assistants Handbook
is the ultimate insider's guide, packed with practical tips, unwritten rules (#37: Please don't touch the celebrities), quizzes, industry secrets, humor and advice ("Giveaways are never given. They're traded. Most likely for your soul…"
) All of it priceless knowledge for anyone who's ever dreamed of making it in la-la land.
Been there, done that, kept notes:
• Minimum-wage workplaces to put you in the path of HPPs
• Perfect that resume
• Homework: the must-see movies, the must-read books
• What to wear to your first interview
• Boss genres and personality types
• The 18 favorite insults
• How to roll calls
• To gift or not to gift: the holiday dilemma
• Why there is nothing better than interns
• The 20-10-10 trick to reading a screenplay
• Your very own entourage
• Appropriate company party behavior
• Fail up
• Knowing when to quit
• Rolodex management