Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

on June 4, 2012
This tape measure looks like the real deal but does not work/act like the real deal. The measuring tape part is really flimsy so gets twisted and tied in knots easily when a kid is playing with it. The worst part is that there isn't an automatic/push button wind up. It's a hand crank, but the knob is so small on the crank that neither a child's or adult's hand can properly or easily hold the crank to wind it back up. My son always gives it to me to wind up and then gets distracted and doesn't play with it. He prefers the real deal with a strong/firm measuring tape and a push button wind up. I would not recommend this product for a child until it has a push button wind up and a stronger/firmer measuring tape.
on June 23, 2012
I really thought this would solve the problem of my son always wanting dad's tape measure but because it is short not sturdy and needs to be winded up he didn't fall for the switch. cute but not great fun.
on November 24, 2014
This is pretty much junk. The tape measure does not retract which I believe I knew going into it but once we got the tape measure it proved to be useless. My 2 year old lost interest in 5 mins. I have an at home daycare and none of the kids bothered with it. I should have just gone to the dollar store and bought him a real one that I didn't care if he broke or not.
on January 22, 2016
I am not entirely sure what I was expecting with a kid's tape measure but I was slightly disappointed. My almost 3 year old son likes it OK. He'll play with it from time to time, but it doesn't grab his attention like our real tape measure did. It's not long enough and the actual tape itself is obviously super flimsy (like cotton) material. I guess I expected it to be a little more real.

The pro I definitely can see to it is that you have to wind a little knob to reel back in the tape. I think this movement enables fine motor skills and helps with patience since it takes time.

Overall it was cooler in theory than in real life. Still a good toy for the cost, and it goes well with his work bench and other tools.
on October 18, 2013
My 2 year old son is obsessed with tape measures, but he won't touch this one. I get that they make it the way they do (with a cloth measuring part and without the ability to automatically retract) for safety reasons, but you would be better off just giving your child a real one since they are inexpensive anyway. He can't even work the mechanism that turns to get the measuring tape back in the unit...even my 4 year old has a hard time with it. Granted, we've lost lots of real measuring tapes, but they keep him occupied forever unlike this fake one!

If you want it just to go with a costume or something, it's fine- it does look real.
on March 14, 2012
I was very disappointed when I received this tape measure. It's definitely not worth 12+ dollars. Feels like something you'd find in the dollar bin. If I could return it I would. I guess I'll just have to see how it holds up to my son.
on October 14, 2013
We ended up returning this item. When it arrived the stickers were pealing off the plastic and the tape wouldn't retract on its own. This was to be part of a gift. This was very disappointing and left us scrambling for a replacement item. Fortunately, Amazon's returns process took good care of getting this item back and refunding our money.
on January 27, 2016
I thought these would retract on their own. Perhaps it states otherwise in the description and I just overlooked it. For the price, I suppose they are fine, though my kid never uses it since it doesn't work like mine.
on November 11, 2015
It is a soft measuring tape like one sold in sewing kits then has to be wound back in. It didn't last through my 3 year old granddaughter's first day of play. The clip on back pops off and the tape broke into. We were disappointed because it was so cute and we were so excited. Maybe using it gently would keep it together.
on April 29, 2016
Plastic clip to hold tape measure onto child's belt comes off easily and is a choking hazard. Within moments of playing with it, the measuring tape end broke off and tape was rolled inside. Fixed it so my son who loved it could continue to play with it, could... But this happened over and over. Finally the thin plastic stretched from his pulling (he is a toddler) and it completely ripped out of the toy. He now has a square box to pretend with. Mind you this all happened within 2 weeks of owning. I would NEVER buy this again, it was a complete waste of money. :(

See 1 answered question