5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT INFORMATION!
Published on November 7, 2005 by J. Faught

3.0 out of 5 stars The Homeowners Association Manual
Published on March 8, 2007 by Biliti

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT INFORMATION!, November 7, 2005
This review is from: The Homeowners Association Manual (Homeowners Association Manual)(5th Edition) (Paperback)
I have been elected as President of our newly formed community association which is my first homeowners association. I wanted to start us off on the right foot by conducting business properly. This book has given me a great amount of information which ensures we will protect the homeowners rights. I now have a good understanding of the responsibilities of the board of directors to the association members, how to provide notice of meetings, create a basic agenda for those meetings, and many other admin functions I was unaware of. Of course this is not a cookie cutter "one size fits all" manual but in the areas that is not applicable to our association, I was able to use the concept from the book to modify items to fit our association. Well, at least I know how to bring it to the members for a vote. I will refer to this book many times in the future and I have already started highlighting items of importance.

It also contains many templates for forms and documents YOU WILL need. If your association isn't using these as a minimum, you need to get them to start using something like these templates. It is such an easy way to keep ALL members informed so the board of directors doesn't seem like it is more important than the members it works for.

You should read this book if you belong to a homeowners association. If you're on the board or want to be an active member in the association you MUST read this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Homeowners Association Manual, March 8, 2007
Biliti (Frontenac, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This, like nearly all books on Homeowners Associations, is like the judicial arm of the government. It advises how to interpret and conduct ongoing association business. However, such conduct is limited by the homeowner "contract" which, unfortunately, is ignored. I wish these types of books would have a first and major chapter that gives example association bylaws and ordinances, that which a homeowner signs and agrees to. It should also contain a list of articles that should be considered in the "contract" and proper ways to draft those articles. The old addage "measure twice, cut once" should be applied so appropriate contracts are drafted at the beginning so association management would be more manageable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very important for HOA officers, September 3, 2005
I am new to HOA's and was recently elected to be treasurer. Reading this book has given me so much information to do my job. I thought it was so informative, I passed it on to the other officers and now each one of us has our own book, to pass on when we are no longer officers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, October 11, 2005
This book has been really helpful to an Executive Committee that is very new to everything related to running an HOA. It has all the basics, as well as offers insight to how things should run smoothly. If you're new to a HOA board, I highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Depending on your goal, this book could be just what you want, September 25, 2006
This book seemed to me to be aimed PRIMARILY at those starting a Homeowners Association - or tweaking one already in place. However, even those who are looking to buy a home could benefit from looking at this, if only to get an idea of the types of rules, regulations and restrictions that Associations can impose on owners.

If you are reading this review, odds are that you already have an opinion about Homeowners Associations, either feeling that they promote neighborhood safety and community or that they are overly restrictive and not a good thing.

In any case, this book could be helpful, no matter what your viewpoint BEFORE reading it.

Some of the featured areas include:

Learning what a homeowners association should strive to do, its purpose and function...rules, regulations...how to set up a proper Board of Directors...What rights homeowners have...running meetings...and much, much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential to any joining a homeowner's association, April 10, 2005
Most homeowners and would-be buyers encounter their first homeowner's association in the form of added monthly payments or printed restrictions on property usage; yet there's so much more to know than fees and restrictions - and the Dunbars provide the basics in the newly revised fifth edition of The Homeowners Association Manual. Everything from single-family subdivisions to mobile homes are covered, with chapters teaching the basics about how an association is organized, how it conducts meetings and sets rules and procedures, and how to interact with and within such associations. From amending and enforcing documents to understanding committee and director interactions, this is essential to any joining a homeowner's association.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Source for Novice Board Members, April 23, 2007
I read this book before I was elected as President of my HOA and, boy, am I glad I did. "The HOA Manual" is an excellent resource that I turn to again and again. I highly recommend this book to those who are becoming involved in Committees or Boards of HOAs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, August 20, 2010
Although this book is not state specific it is a resource for those who are a member of a Homeowner's Association for the very first time. It does not provide the "nuts and bolts" daily information of an association, however, it does provide a good over-all picture of how a HOA is suppose to function.

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic hoa outline, March 2, 2009
Douglas W. Rogers "lake wooder" (Locust Grove, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This is a very basic hoa book on how to. The hoa's are varied and complex and this book provide just the tip of how to run and manage an hoa. there needs to more examples of large hoa that have revenue producing amenities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Homeowners Associations for Dummies, April 11, 2007
John I "Do-It-Yourselfer" (Eastern Long Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This book is written for the layman who finds himself involved in a Homeowners Association for the first time. It contains all the basics that you really need to know in a few easy-to-read chapters. The sample forms, notices and letters at the end are a real bonus for the novice association officer. I found the book very helpful, though I'm sure someone more experienced in running a homeowners association will find it a bit superficial.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Homeowners Association Manual (Homeowners Association Manual)(5th Edition)
$16.95 $12.64