Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on November 7, 2005
I have been elected as President of our newly formed community association which is my first homeowners association. I wanted to start us off on the right foot by conducting business properly. This book has given me a great amount of information which ensures we will protect the homeowners rights. I now have a good understanding of the responsibilities of the board of directors to the association members, how to provide notice of meetings, create a basic agenda for those meetings, and many other admin functions I was unaware of. Of course this is not a cookie cutter "one size fits all" manual but in the areas that is not applicable to our association, I was able to use the concept from the book to modify items to fit our association. Well, at least I know how to bring it to the members for a vote. I will refer to this book many times in the future and I have already started highlighting items of importance.

It also contains many templates for forms and documents YOU WILL need. If your association isn't using these as a minimum, you need to get them to start using something like these templates. It is such an easy way to keep ALL members informed so the board of directors doesn't seem like it is more important than the members it works for.

You should read this book if you belong to a homeowners association. If you're on the board or want to be an active member in the association you MUST read this book.
on March 8, 2007
This, like nearly all books on Homeowners Associations, is like the judicial arm of the government. It advises how to interpret and conduct ongoing association business. However, such conduct is limited by the homeowner "contract" which, unfortunately, is ignored. I wish these types of books would have a first and major chapter that gives example association bylaws and ordinances, that which a homeowner signs and agrees to. It should also contain a list of articles that should be considered in the "contract" and proper ways to draft those articles. The old addage "measure twice, cut once" should be applied so appropriate contracts are drafted at the beginning so association management would be more manageable.
22 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2005
I am new to HOA's and was recently elected to be treasurer. Reading this book has given me so much information to do my job. I thought it was so informative, I passed it on to the other officers and now each one of us has our own book, to pass on when we are no longer officers.
on October 11, 2005
This book has been really helpful to an Executive Committee that is very new to everything related to running an HOA. It has all the basics, as well as offers insight to how things should run smoothly. If you're new to a HOA board, I highly recommend this book.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 25, 2006
This book seemed to me to be aimed PRIMARILY at those starting a Homeowners Association - or tweaking one already in place. However, even those who are looking to buy a home could benefit from looking at this, if only to get an idea of the types of rules, regulations and restrictions that Associations can impose on owners.

If you are reading this review, odds are that you already have an opinion about Homeowners Associations, either feeling that they promote neighborhood safety and community or that they are overly restrictive and not a good thing.

In any case, this book could be helpful, no matter what your viewpoint BEFORE reading it.

Some of the featured areas include:

Learning what a homeowners association should strive to do, its purpose and function...rules, regulations...how to set up a proper Board of Directors...What rights homeowners have...running meetings...and much, much more.
on April 10, 2005
Most homeowners and would-be buyers encounter their first homeowner's association in the form of added monthly payments or printed restrictions on property usage; yet there's so much more to know than fees and restrictions - and the Dunbars provide the basics in the newly revised fifth edition of The Homeowners Association Manual. Everything from single-family subdivisions to mobile homes are covered, with chapters teaching the basics about how an association is organized, how it conducts meetings and sets rules and procedures, and how to interact with and within such associations. From amending and enforcing documents to understanding committee and director interactions, this is essential to any joining a homeowner's association.
on April 23, 2007
I read this book before I was elected as President of my HOA and, boy, am I glad I did. "The HOA Manual" is an excellent resource that I turn to again and again. I highly recommend this book to those who are becoming involved in Committees or Boards of HOAs.
on August 20, 2010
Although this book is not state specific it is a resource for those who are a member of a Homeowner's Association for the very first time. It does not provide the "nuts and bolts" daily information of an association, however, it does provide a good over-all picture of how a HOA is suppose to function.
on March 17, 2012
I am a newly elected President of my HOA Board. Reading this book has helped me to better underdstand the procedures in conducting an HOA meeting. My HOA is small in size so I will not need to utilize all of the information that is included in this book, but it was nice to educate myself on the porcedures as a whole.
VINE VOICEon November 10, 2013
If you are contemplating buying a home that has a home owners association, being a board member, or are already live in a HOA, this book is a good starting point to understanding what's going on. It's not state specific nor is it specific to your HOA (which will be directed by your CC&R and bylaws), but it will give you enough information that you will have a basic understanding of the concept and your rights and responsibilities. I can't say I learned a lot, but there was enough new things in it that it was worth buying.