5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of recipes perfect for me
Published on April 21, 2011 by Carmen Iris

3.0 out of 5 stars I must be the missing what the other reviewers see.
I just ordered 5 cookbooks from Amazon, and this was one of them. I got it mainly hoping for old family type dessert
recipes. It does have a few.

My gripe is that this book does not seem Amish. There are alot of hamburger recipes.Canned pie fillings, etc.

Published on September 10, 2010 by Shawn Hedrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of recipes perfect for me, April 21, 2011
This review is from: The Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook: Plainly Delicious Recipes from the Simple Life (Spiral-bound)
In the last three years I have bought just one cookbook because most are not all that great. (I have a very large collection.) This one I borrowed from the library, but I am buying it. I like to cook with simple ingredients and from scratch so the book works for me. At times, it felt the writer was more Memmonite than Amish but that's fine with me since there are so many similarities. A reviewer gave the book a 3 because of the use of hamburger meat, at least that's what I understood. The Amish and Memmonite families I know actually grind their own meat so I don't understand why that's a problem. If you are looking for gourmet cooking this not the book for you but if you just want good food this book is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very highly recommended addition to personal, family, and community library cookbook collections, June 15, 2010
The Amish community is noted for the simplicity of their family-centered and devout lifestyle. That elegant simplicity clearly extends to their cuisine as evidenced by the recipes assembled in "The Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook: Plainly Delicious Recipes from the Simple Life", a spiral bound 272-page compendium of thoroughly 'kitchen cook friendly' recipes ranging from Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage Gravy; Honey Oatmeal Bread; Mennonite Stew; and Baked Acorn Squash with Hamburger Filling; to Busy Day Ham Casserole; German Meatballs with Sauerkraut; Amish Vanilla Pie; and Crackletop Molasses Cookies. Each recipe is clearly put forth with a complete list of ingredients and step-by-step instructions allowing even the most novice of kitchen cooks to successful prepare and serve this dishes which are as nutritious as they are delicious -- and suitable for any and all dining occasions. "The Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook: Plainly Delicious Recipes from the Simple Life" is a very highly recommended addition to personal, family, and community library cookbook collections.

3.0 out of 5 stars I must be the missing what the other reviewers see., September 10, 2010
recipes. It does have a few.

It struck me as a cookbook someone who is'nt Amish threw together. What i was hoping for was old fashioned homestyle recipes. There are some good recipes, but overall I'm just not that impressed with it. Maybe it will grow on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best, simplest cook book I have seen, April 28, 2011
This is the best cook book for the novice as well as the seasoned ( no pun intended ) cook.
I highly recommend this cookbook. I am now sending one to my 2 kids. If they cant use this cook book I am also sending takeout menu's.

DON'T PASS THIS ONE UP!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Inspirational, January 12, 2011
I am absolutely delighted to have received this beautiful Amish cookbook! Immediately after opening it, I found it to have, not only delicious recipes, but also inspirational prayers, scriptures, and tips on both cooking and gardening. It also gives insight into the simple Amish way of life.

Coming from a background of homemaking and cooking for a large family, I at once identified with the spirit of home and family that The Amish Kitchen Cookbook encompasses. It is beautiful not only in format, but in Amish wisdom as well. It surpassed my expectations and will have a special place in my cookbook collection. Definitely 5 stars *****for this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars simple and satisfying, May 1, 2013
There are a few recipes in here that call for non simple foods such as strawberry jello or orange bing drink. Overall though most ingredients are simple ingredients you would find in a regular bakers kitchen. Recipes are descriptive; some Amish or mennonite recipe books are written in a way only they can understand but this is written in a way a layman can understand. Has a miscellaneous section to make your own bisquick mix and onion soup mix and recipe fire Amish friendship bread! I'm definitely narrowing down my recipe books to this

4.0 out of 5 stars Review for Homestyle Amish Kitchen Cookbook, February 22, 2011
I have always been fascinated by the Amish people and their simple/plain way of life. It makes me wish for simpler times in my own life. This cookbook fills the bill for Amish flavor and recipes that are downhome, simple, yet very nourishing and mostly what I would call "comfort food." I was delighted with this cookbook and am sure that I will enjoy cooking recipes from it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very versitile, June 20, 2011
Good book. My son has multiple food allergies and I was able to substitute and make him many things from this book. Great for home meals and for large crowds. Normal ingrediants. Worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but with Kindle problems, May 19, 2014
The recipes and selection in the book are fabulous. I've made a couple of recipes (including the delicious strawberry pie!) and have no complaints about that. However, the Kindle edition has some formatting issues. Some of the numbers are inexplicably missing, and obviously in a recipe, the numbers are important! It's not a huge problem, most of the numbers are there, but there are a few recipes I won't be able to make because of it. So beware if you're buying for Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hit the JACKPOT, September 7, 2011
I have a hundred +/- cookbooks. With this one and Mama Fenelli's I've hit the jackpot. Great recipes that will keep me cooking the rest of my days.

$14.99 $13.25