5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for the Honesty, Jessica Alba!
Published 17 months ago by krissskrosss

3.0 out of 5 stars somewhat informative
I pre-ordered this book as soon as i saw it was going to come out. I read very eagerly, and i liked a lot of what she had to say on nutrition, and i liked getting to see what she uses in her daily life. But a lot of it, I felt, was a bit repetitive and could probably have been condensed into a magazine article.
The book is filled with pictures, which i actually quite...
Published 16 months ago by BettyBoop

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for the Honesty, Jessica Alba!, March 12, 2013
I lived blissfully unaware of just how bad so many of our products are until my youngest was born and we discovered he had vicious allergies and asthma right from the start. It took going through a lot of doctors to find anyone even remotely interested in finding the problem instead of just masking symptoms with chemical creams and steroids. And this was back before allergens had to be clearly listed on labels. I spent countless sleepless nights on research and turning my house and our lives upside down trying to rid our house of as much crap as I could. My friends and family thought I was going nuts and OCD -I probably was!- but I was really just a mom looking to give my baby boy some relief and had virtually no one to help me. As I read The Honest Life, all I keep thinking was "If only this book and brand existed 10 years ago!!" The sanity, sleep, frustration, and tears it would have saved me!!

Whether you're invested in doing a whole lifestyle change or just looking for some clean products and tips on how to cut chemical and toxin exposure from your life a little bit, definitely read this book. Even if you already know most of the information, it's filled with Jessica's personal tips, tricks, and suggestions, which can be helpful for anyone.

You also don't have to join a hippie commune in order to make substantial changes. Jessica herself admits on page one - she eats meat, doesn't have time for cloth diapers, and doesn't grow her own food. She and her husband even eat and love bacon. You'll be amazed how simple most changes are. She does admit that she has the money to eat completely organic and buy the crazy expensive Eco-friendly chemical free crib mattresses, but understands that most people don't. (Thank you!!)

Jessica explains that this is her way of natural living. It may not be for everyone. But everyone CAN get some very useful information from this book. It's up to you what you choose to do with it. "No judgement! No guilt!"

The breakdown of book:

Introduction - Jessica explains how it all started for her - even though signs had been there all along (allergies, always getting sick and serial bouts of pneumonia, etc), all it took was a reaction to the fragrance in laundry detergent to open up the floodgates for her. Fans of Alba will find this interesting, too, as she discusses some of her early years. She also debunks the ever-frustrating rebuttal of "But we used that when we were kids and we're fine!" (Again, thank you!)

Chapter 1 - Food: The basics of what eating "honest" is, what her diet entails, eating as local as possible (with some very useful links on how to), foods that are the highest in pesticide absorption, foods that resist pesticides the best, the basic lowdown about GMO's, tips on how to eat certain foods and what eating seasonally entails, cooking tips, snack ideas (especially for kids!), and the bads of plastics. She also touches on party ideas and even the subject of weight loss. Newcomers will gain a lot of helpful information and tips from this chapter, making it feel much less overwhelming. Just remember, this is Jessica's way of living. My family doesn't eat nuts or tofu (soy), but she does and so do millions of others. It's okay to pick what doesn't work for you.

Chapter 2 - Personal Clean Care: Jessica states, "One hundred percent of women of childbearing age have detectable levels of phthalates in their system probably due to cosmetic use." Don't buy into "hypoallergenic", "fragrance free" and "green" claims - they're still too often loaded with chemicals. And you don't have to have allergies, rashes, or rashes to be effected. These chemicals are linked to all sorts of things from hormone imbalances to cancer. Jessica helps break down how to find the safe products. Yes, she has her own product line. But she's not pushing it on you. She clearly states there are other brands and all-natural products at your disposal. This chapter was incredibly helpful for me because, even after years of research, food has become easy, but hygiene products are still a challenge.

Chapter 3 - Make up & Beauty: Even more helpful for me than chapter 2 because safe makeup is even harder to come by and even more difficult for women to give up. Jessica breaks down the good, the bad, the ugly, and what your safe options are.

Chapter 4 - Personal Style: This chapter is less on chemicals and toxins and more on Jessica's personal style and how she picks what makes her feel happy and comfortable in her own skin. It's a fun, light chapter and will appeal to Jessica's fans much more than those reading just for clean living tips. It does touch on dry cleaning.

Chapter 5 - Your Home's Style: It's about finding a style for your home that is both minimalist and stylish, which can often be tricky. But, it offers information on safer products like carpets and paint, too. Go for real wood (vintage is even better) over fiberboard because of the difference in off gassing... It's impossible to keep everything in your home completely free of gasses. But simple tips like this can make a big difference. She breaks down the basics on how to get the toxins out and keep them out. She also offers basic DIY cleaner recipes that anyone can do. You'd be amazed at what you can do with some vinegar, baking soda, and lemons. And, surprise! They actually work!

Chapter 6 - The Baby Chapter: prepare for parenthood without losing yourself. How to take care of yourself mentally and physically, and how to gently prepare your home and nursery for your expanding family. She offers her own parenting tips and advice. It also goes into diaper options and what to do if breast feeding isn't working. And then we have the dreaded lead-in-toys issue. She even touches on how to pack and travel with kids! Very helpful, especially for new parents.

Chapter 7 - Inspiration: Who doesn't need a little inspiration from time to time?! This chapter reminds you that life can get heavy and weigh you down if you don't remember to have a little fun and take time to enjoy life. How to find balance, dinner parties, make your own pizza nights, recipes for sweet treats, nontoxic art supplies, make a fun outdoor playhouse or a wall garden... She also offers a list of her top "10 Essentials for An Honest Life" which I think are simple, but absolutely brilliant and spot on.

Chapter 8 - Details!: Resources!!! There's nothing worse than people who preach, preach, preach, but offer no verbs on HOW to do what they're preaching. This chapter is full of pages and PAGES of links to helpful information, products, and some just light-hearted and fun. More pages of links for where to shop and brands that offer safe alternatives. It breaks down chapter by chapter what was covered, what to do, and where you can find help, information, and safe products. Honestly, if this book could only be one chapter, it would have to be this one. Worth it just for this list of resources alone!

This book is so much more than just information on ridding toxins, it's about simplifying all aspects of your life to create a peaceful, happy, healthy, and inspired environment for you and your family. If you're starting a whole life overhaul, this won't be the only book you'll ever use, but it's a great start full of all the basics. If you're just looking for a few tips on natural living, you'll find more than enough to pick through here. Ad if you're just a fan of Jessica, you'll like it, too, as it's got personal pictures and some details and stories from her personal life.

I'm so happy to see Jessica using her celebrity to do something so helpful for people and so positive. Read her blog or use her products if you want or don't, but I highly recommend reading The Honest Life to everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars somewhat informative, April 14, 2013
This review is from: The Honest Life: Living Naturally and True to You (Paperback)
The book is filled with pictures, which i actually quite liked. There is also a great section at the back with an index. I also liked the tips on essential oils in the home.

The reason it's a 3 star for me, is that throughout the book Jessica would seem to condemn a certain way of living but then afterwards it would be a "no judgement!" remark, and then she would go on to say something she does that's really "average joe" so she must be on the same level as normal folk - which I found to be really annoying!
I also didn't find the "style" section appealing to me, and how she organizes her scarves and bracelets does not interest me.
There is also a portion of the book that talks about her house being organic and that you can fill organic stuffing into couches or something along those lines, which i found to be a bit radical and makes me wonder why everyone is saying this book is so "down to earth". How many people can really and truly make their home completely organic and "clean" without quite a bit of money and time to spare?

I still have the book but I've only read it once, and to me that usually means i will not pick it up again. A lot of what i read i already knew.

I'm actually quite scared on leaving this review because it's against the trend. But I hope it will be of use to someone.
I would say flip through it at a book store or library first, because a lot of this info you can find readily online. But it just wouldn't be packaged in a jessica alba binding!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very resourceful, March 25, 2013
I bought this book last week to read while on vacation. I finished it in 2 days.... This book made me want to spring clean my house as soon as I returned (and I did)!! A book that can excite me about cleaning and make the process enjoyable is worth 5 stars to me. I'm really into organic skin care and makeup, and that's why I primarily purchased this book. I wasn't expecting to like the "cleaning" and "home" sections of the book the most. I'm a single young woman, so this book is not just for mothers with children. I would divide the book into 5 categories: beauty, style, cleaning, home and kids. A few tips I've learned from the book that I didn't know before:

1. Put non-chlorine bleach at the bottom of your toilet brush to keep it from getting icky.
2. Using vodka mixed with essential oils as an air freshener spray
3. Products that result in off-gassing, such as polyurethane coating for hardwood floors and furniture, cabinets that are used with glue and wallpaper adhesives. There's not too much I can do now that I've already done some home remodeling, but I have the knowledge now if I ever move into a different home....

Jessica Alba mentions her "Honest" line of products throughout the book. When I initially noticed this, I was a bit turned off, because I thought this book would just end up as a plug for her product line. I then went on the Honest website, and I noticed that the products were actually affordable and seemed decent. I'm a sucker and ended up purchasing a handful of products. I received my products the other day, and I've already used just about every single one. I'm sure this whole product line will be available at health food stores in no time (rather than ordering a big box online). Here is a review of the products I've tested out so far:

1. Dishwasher pods: Excellent! Made my dishes and glasses super clean, no spots. I put a cookie sheet pan in the dishwasher, and it came out clean. These do not have any sort of aroma (I wish they did).
2. Floor cleaner: Excellent! I used this on my hardwood floors; I normally use the Swedish "Bona" brand hardwood spray. This is equally as good! My hardwood floors are shiny and clean. Has a nice aroma.
3. Multi-Surface cleaner: Smells like a fresh squeezed grapefruit! So far so good! I used this on my kitchen countertops. The spray nozzle is a little flimsy; could be improved.
4. Toilet bowl cleaner: I've used natural toilet bowl cleansers in the past, and I had never found one very effective. This, however, is very nice. It's very thick, unlike other natural/organic ones I've tried. Has a nice minty smell.
5. Bathroom cleaner: Very nice and smells great. I used it to clean my tiled shower wall and tub.
6. Laundry Detergent liquid: Well, my clothes appear clean. I wish this had a natural aroma, perhaps they will come up with one in the future.

I also purchased, but have not tried yet: Hair detangler, bubble bath and fruit/veggie spray cleaner. The hair detangler smells AMAZING!!

Overall, this book is a worthwhile read. If you can get even one tip that you can use for the rest of your life that will be better for you, your family and the environment, this book will certainly prove to be invaluable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing view - this info should be taught in schools, February 5, 2014
I originally bought this book primarily for the section on food. I was trying to clean up my diet and had heard good things. But I ended up with so much more. This book really opened my eyes. It's easy to assume if something isn't good for us, it wouldn't be allowed in our products. But there are so many other factors we don't think about (corporations only concerned with the bottom line, deep pocketed lobbyists stopping the government from interfering, etc.). It's really up to us to make sure we are doing the best for ourselves and our families, and this book is a great resource. It inspired me to make so many changes in my life, especially when I became pregnant with my first child just a few months after reading the book. Some people think I'm crazy worrying about the formaldehyde glue in compressed wood products or the PVC in an artificial Christmas tree. They say "we grew up with all this stuff and we're fine." But the thing is, most of these chemicals and ways of producing things have been around a relatively short time, so we don't really know the long term effects yet. And I would argue that we are also not "fine." With the astronomical amount of health issues in this country today, it should be only natural to look at and question the things we have begun exposing ourselves to in recent years. And if making sure my child doesn't inhale chemical flame retardants in every breath or get artificial genetically modified food in every bite makes no difference in her health outcome from someone else's, well then no harm no foul. But on the chance that it does make a difference, this book gives you all the information you need to get started.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Informative, June 19, 2013
This is an easy book to read and full of good information. If you already live a fairly green lifestyle, the information will probably not be new for you. I love Jessica Alba's product line Honest products. The diapers are my favorite, compostable and fabulous in all other ways.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't include the recommendations I was expecting, October 20, 2013
PT P (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I was expecting more recommendations on products that are non toxic for the household, nursery, etc. There were only a few recommendations on products in general and most of them were plugs for The Honest Company.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing I didn't already know, August 17, 2013
If you are already into a clean living lifestyle, save your money! She won't teach you anything you don't already know. However if you are not, this might be a good starting point for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Beginner Resource, June 11, 2013
Being a pretty crunchy mama. There wasn't a lot in this book that I didn't know or hadn't heard about. But it's a nice beginner resource for a lot of information in one place.
I especially enjoyed some of her makeup tips and brand suggestions, since some of that info is harder to find.
This would be a great beginner book for a new mom or someone that is trying to make the switch to a more natural lifestyle.
And of course Jessica Alba gives great inspiration to being a beautiful, natural mom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rashes and Allergies Helped, March 29, 2014
Loads of excellent information that was hard to find if found at all 10 years ago. It is ao great to have it all in one place.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, October 2, 2013
I try to use chemical-free products for my kids and in general around the house so I thought this would be interesting and it was. There is lots of useful information and helpful references to the brands and websites of products that can be used. The only down side for me was that, let's face it, Jessica is in a little higher tax bracket than most of us, so some advice, specifically regarding the decor and remodeling of the house, were not very useful for me. Otherwise a great read with lots if useful info.

The Honest Life: Living Naturally and True to You
The Honest Life: Living Naturally and True to You by Jessica Alba (Paperback - March 12, 2013)
$22.99 $12.96