Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 24, 2013
Lots of parenting humor books have an attitude or subtext that is off-putting. My husband is a lazy jerk; my wife is a dope; oh, poor me; I'm a hero; I'm a victim; and so on. Or, there are long stories about diapers or whatever that assume no one else has ever been a parent. That's not what is going on here at all. This is all about recognizing what your toddler does/did/will do from the skewed vantage point of an articulate and witty toddler.

Our author explains the actions and behavior of a toddler through a narrator who has the arch sensibility of a weary, deadpan, martini swilling, wit. If you could cross a toddler with Oscar Wilde, Noel Coward, Christopher Hitchens and P. G. Wodehouse, you would get something like this. And, I don't mean that as exaggerated praise - I mean that as a useful comparison. Much of the humor is aphoristic, with just a line or two crystallizing a humorous insight. Or, it presents a contrarian view of parent/child relations that sneaks up on you and is the funnier for it. Or, a certain world weariness creeps in as this exhausted toddler tries to help you understand toddlerdom even though he has no faith in your adult parenting intelligence, skills or aptitude.

There is a very generous sample on this page, and it will give you a good idea of what the entire book is like. Because the book is written in short, punchy mini-chapters, and because it is exclusively in the honest toddler's voice, it is more like a collection of columns or blog entries. That makes it ideal for a bit of brief light reading. I don't know if you could sit and read it like a novel. But that said, sometimes a light break is just what you want or need.

So, rewarding, amusing and virtually guaranteed to raise a smile. Please note that I found this book while browsing Amazon Kindle samples. I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.
on May 7, 2013
I've followed the Honest Toddler Facebook page for several months and always get a kick out of the status updates and posts. Only 10 pages into reading an advance copy of The Honest Toddler book and I was already cracking up. I'm sure my husband got sick of me sharing passage after passage with him - though he laughed every time!

Sleep: Weaning Yourself Off of It was probably my favorite section. I also loved the book, movie, music, and fairy tale reviews. So glad I'm not alone in my feelings toward the television series Caillou! I did experience a few lulls while reading the book - probably bound to happen with 256 pages of the same shtick - but they didn't last long. The Honest Toddler moves from topic to topic quickly, delivering a multitude of blunt opinions with sarcastic, sassy wit.

Yet even among the hilarity, I have to say, I had an "ouch" moment or two while reading this book. These moments gave me pause as I realized how some of the things I do might be coming across to my daughter. The Honest Toddler may be a tongue-in-cheek type of "parenting book," but I appreciated finding bits of wisdom all while laughing wholeheartedly.
on May 20, 2014
Laditan's tongue-in-cheek parenting guide had everyone in my house laughing - well, everyone except my toddler, who would probably agree with most of HT's suggestions. Seriously, I had to hide in the bathroom with my copy because my pre-teens kept stealing it from me to giggle over it themselves, so buy a lot of copies for everyone you know - you will need them.

While the writing is hilarious, it's also a great reminder of how difficult the adult world is for toddlers (and parents) to navigate. I find myself appreciating my child's view of things in a different and valuable way. Can't wait for the next book.
on May 20, 2014
Anyone with a 2-4 year old should read this book!!! I find myself laughing out loud constantly and I am trying to read it slowly because I don't want it to end... HILARIOUS and oh so honest:) and it lets me know that my toddler isn't crazy, he is just a toddler:)
on May 11, 2013
I love the HT Facebook updates. The little snippets make me giggle and the longer blogs are amusing when they come out occasionally. The book however is 18 chapters of the repeating theme of 'It's all about me' and "Don't make a big deal", which is repeated several times. I think in this large a chunk it loses some of its special appeal and humor. I am hoping it didn't ruin me on the blog/updates but I might be over it now. This book is only ok. Maybe it would be funnier as a gift to toddler parents who are NOT yet familiar with the online persona.
on May 19, 2014
I follow the Honest Toddler blog, so I had an idea what to expect from the book, but I was blown away. I'm not a parent, but have MANY small nieces and nephews and I found this book hilarious. I passed the book along to my sister who has a 3 year old and 2 year old twins and she found it just as funny as well. I read it in a night (I don't have kids yet, so I get to do these things still!) and I plan to read it again in the future when I have kids just to remind me what I've signed up for.
on May 24, 2013
The Honest Toddler is well known on Twitter for pulling no punches when it comes to surviving this famously challenging stage of childhood.

*Tonight's bedtime story was about three pigs struggling with repeat home invasions. Thanks for the new fear.*

Whether it's life tips for toddlers...

*"The truth will set you free." But so will taking off your pants.*

...or clueless adults...

*Date night tears families apart. Shout out to all the parents spending Saturday night at home with their toddlers.*

...the advice is clear, economical, and straight to the point. So if there's a toddler in your life, or you just harbor an irrational wish for one, you really ought to buy this book and begin to profit immediately from its timeless wisdom.

*Before I go into time out I just want to say that in the toddler community spitting is a perfctly valid form of conmunication.*
on June 30, 2015
As someone who has followed the Honest Toddler Twitter feed for some time, I wasn't surprised at how funny this book was. But I was surprised at how useful it is as a parenting book. As the mother to an easy, laid back baby, I wasn't fully prepared for what the toddler years would bring. I bought this book for the laughs, but ended up being sincerely grateful to learn that my toddler's newly developed weirdness was just her being a toddler and not a sign of an underlying problem. Crying because she wants milk, then getting angry when I give her milk, then crying harder when I take the milk away? Normal. Refusing to eat the exact same food that is on my plate once I put it on her plate, and screaming until she can sit on my lap and literally take the food off the fork I'm trying to maneuver to my mouth? Normal. Her sudden, profound, fanatical opposition to pants? Normal. Thank you, Bunmi Laditan, for making me laugh AND for the excellent parenting advice.
on May 13, 2014
Hilarious and actually kind of useful. I realize this isn't a parenting book per se, but it does make you think about things from your toddler's perspective. It doesn't hurt that it makes you laugh so much you might pee while reading it.
on May 7, 2013
Oh. My. Gosh.

Your next read should be The Honest Toddler: A Child's Guide to Parenting written under the supervision of Bunmmi Laditan. It's newly released today and you should run, not walk, to the nearest bookstore (or to your computer and Amazon.com) and purchase a copy for yourself. This book is the end all, be all authority of raising toddlers. Straight from the horse's toddler's mouth!

If you're the parent of a toddler (or soon to be toddler), you need this book -- it will become your favorite "raising toddler" manual -- you'll need no other.

If you're the grandparent of a toddler, you'll appreciate the total truth of its pages. What's that old saying? Toddlers and grandmas get along so fabulously because they share a common enemy . . . !

If you're thinking about having children -- it will be a good way to prepare yourself for the selfless, all-consuming job of being a parent to a toddler.

Truly, this was the funniest read I've enjoyed in a long time. In fact, my husband banned me from reading it in bed at night -- because I'd wake him up from laughing out loud. I'd get to giggling over some truth revealed:

"There's even more good news. Selective acknowledgement has a partner skill known as hyperawareness. I can hear someone open a bag of chips through seven solid brick walls in the middle of a thunderstorm while sleeping. Please hold your applause."

or

"Everybody lies. Toddlers just don't apologize for it. When you think about it, a lie is the truth with a funny hat on. The next time your toddler lies to your face, giggle and smile. Share a few hugs and know that you probably just asked the wrong question. The number one reason toddlers spin reality is to avoid trouble. When you ask questions like, "Laura, did you put your poo in the fireplace?," what do you expect to happen? We both know Laura did it and that you've already judged her for it. What does she have to lose by fabricating a tall tale?"

Is that not gold?! I'd start giggling and that would turn into full on laughter and the bed would shake and hubby would get a little put out. But seriously, this is a terrific read and totally truthful (from your toddler's point of view). As the Neesey (aka grandma) of two toddlers, it was priceless to see my precious little grandtoddlers thoughts and emotions so perfectly depicted. Why do parents make it so tough on everyone?

Great read -- I'd give it two thumbs up, five stars, and ten bags of popcorn (if it were a movie). And after you've sat down with a big cup of red drink, fruit rollups, goldfish and read the book, then go subscribe to the blog (which started the sensation) and follow Honest Toddler on Facebook and Twitter, too! In fact -- go right now to the blog and read Footprints in the Sand. You'll understand. If I haven't convinced you to read the book, this post sure will!

And remember: "The truth will set you free." But so will taking off your pants.

Disclaimer: I was provided an electronic copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.