Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$0.99

on November 16, 2012
I very much enjoyed reading about Emily and Gabriel in this story. The ending left a little to be desired. If you are like me and can't stand seeing repetitive phrases in books, get ready to want to pull your hair out, as Emily says "oh pooh" in just about every conversation she has. It gets frustrating and did distract me somewhat from the story. But I would still recommend reading this book.
on November 28, 2012
I almost liked the story but was so diverted (both distracted and finally amused) by careless errors--as if spellcheck had been used without confirming selections within the story context. Example: the heroine completes her morning "absolutions" versus ablutions. "Collaborate" was used repeatedly where I can only guess the author meant corroborate...? "Cornet" versus coronet. It became a game to spot the misuse of language.

The characters and plot are adequate if unoriginal. With some judicious editing and advice from someone who is actually fluent in Regency-style vocabulary, I'd give the book three stars.
on November 2, 2012
I never purchase books unless there are several reviews to recommend it. However, since this one was only .99 and a genre I enjoy thought I'd take the chance even though there were no reviews at the time. So glad I did! Fun and enjoyable read, finished it in one day. My only gripe is the overuse of "Oh pooh" and "By Jove".
on January 25, 2014
This is the third Margaret Bennett book that I've read. I enjoyed it just as much as I did the first two and would be hard pressed to say which of the three is my favorite. Ms. Bennett is a fairly new author. She only has a few books, and "The Hopeless Hoyden" is one of her earlier ones. Keeping that in mind, Ms. Bennett's books evince a talent for creative writing. The stories she weaves, while by no means perfect, are extremely enjoyable.

This book is quite well written, the plot interesting and nicely paced, and the characters well drawn and relatable. Some editing is needed to add a bit of polish to the book, but all in all any grammatical errors, etc., did not detract from my pleasure in the story.

Emily is a hoydenish young miss of 18 years. She is the daughter of a baronet, a title which her older brother Tom, now holds. Emily is unconventional, fearless, and quick witted. She has a penchant saying "oh pooh" that I found mildly irritated, but other than that I loved her.

One day, while out picking berries, Emily overhears a plot to murder Gabriel, Viscount Lindemann. On the verge of being discovered, Emily takes off running, and ends up inflicting bodily harm on said potential victim, Gabriel. LOL Gabe is intrigued by the lovely wood sprite and is determined to spend more time with her. To that end, he invites her to attend his house party, that is currently underway. From there the story quickly develops to the HEA.

In attendance at the house party are a couple of mean spirited, selfish, beauties, one of whom is determined to snag for herself a Viscountess coronet. But, all this vain beauty's efforts are for naught, as Gabe quickly falls under the spell of his lovely wood sprite. The murder plot against Gabe adds intrigue to the story. Emily is determined to help Gabe uncover the arbiter of the nefarious plot, while he is equally determined to prevent her from getting herself killed.....no easy feat by any means! LOL

Despite the murder plot, this is a lighthearted story. Emily is a delightful baggage and, more often than not, gets herself into one scrape or another. Poor Gabe has his hands full trying to keep up with the spirited beauty. Before long the murderous fiend is revealed and ousted, Gabe convinces his lady love of his undying devotion, and the couple achieve their HEA. Sigh!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and highly recommend it as a worthwhile read. BTW this Is a clean romance!
on November 11, 2013
The plot was the usual, which was what I was after, but the writing was dreadfully self-conscious and first-novel-esque. Worse than that was the misused language; "impressionistic" used for "impressionable," for example. Save your money; there are plenty of other Regency romances, and the writing in them is almost certainly better.
on May 2, 2014
For me this book was great. I enjoyed all characters, even laughed so much tears were flowing. I hated to have it end. I think it would be great to have a second book about the family. I recommend it for an enjoyable reading.
on September 29, 2013
So many times I wanted to give up on this book. I read a couple of books from this author that were good enough to pass the time... but this one just about did me in. Emily's Oh Pooh exclamation was nails on a chalk board. I kept hoping she would stop, but it was annoyingly incessant. Also, I get she's a hoyden and all, but she was so completely clueless that I started wondering if she was a bit "touched" in the head. Dancing by yourself in the hallway at a ball? The eating grapes part... really? These things were so beyond hoyden. She doesn't want to compromise the Viscount but does it at almost every possible moment! Gabriel could be a little obtuse at times too, but in general he was fine. While this was a clean book (smut wise), which is important to me, I suggest trying out one of this author's other books. Skip this one entirely.
on November 25, 2012
Out of all of the books that I have chosen from the Kindle Library, I think "The Hopeless Hoyden" is one of the best I've read. I just gave it five stars. The Author was
able to create a profile of a Tom-Boy or then a again; a very mischievous girl (or Hoyden). I have a Granddaughter who fits this description of the Author's 'Hoyden". During my Granddaughter's younger Life, she in fact did all she could to make life complex for her older brothers. At one time at the age of 12, she was able to get the keys to her Brother's Car and with her girl friends of about 11 and 12 years of age, she led the town Police a fast chase around town. I was told that she went through every red light and at about 60 miles per hour in 25 miles per hour restricted area(s). When the Police and her Parents asked her why; well, she said it was "fun...". Presently, her husband will come by and drop their children off and I have asked him: "How are things going?" He will smile and his response? "Well, with my Wife; there's never a dull moment..".
on May 1, 2013
I agree with those reviewers who were annoyed by the constant use of "Pooh!" by the heroine in a story that otherwise held my interest. The exclamation seemed childish and made her seem more eleven than whatever age she was.

Also, the spelling mistakes that could have been easily fixed with one more reading detracted from the story as did the hero's constant lying to her in order to keep her 'safe' - which in any case had the opposite effect.
on November 4, 2013
The story line was excellent with viscount meeting country girl, mystery, and romance. However, does no one have proof readers anymore? For instance ....bread on his face instead of beard .....fair instead of fare to leave!!!!