on March 26, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Although long winded and repetitive, there is useful information in this book. However, the appendix has all the dosage info for supplements and is totally illegible on the kindle. Get the book.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Ok as we age, things change and yes I know that's normal - but sometimes it's hard to accept. After the birth of my 3rd kid, I could never really lose the "baby weight." I feel like I tried everything and got to the point where I was practically WANTING my thyroid to be abnormal so I could hopefully take a medicine and lose weight. Unfortunately - that's not really how it works. Even more unfortunately, when most of us go to our doctor's to complain about this sort of standstill (or worse - gaining weight), our Drs are sympathetic (After all they hear it all the time) but have no answers beyond the standard, "eat less, exercise more" advice.

Enter Dr. Sara Gottfried. In the hormone cure, she lays out the reasons why all these things we thought were just normal aging are really signs that our hormone levels are off-balance. And I don't mean menopause off-balance. I mean normal 30s, 40s not even peri-menopause off-balance. Dr Sara validates the fact that things can be off-balance in our body but that doesn't mean that our doctors will catch it, or actually even think to test it.

What this Harvard trained Gynecologist does is explain all the hormones at work in your body (cortisol, thyroid, testosterone, etc) and how you optimally need them to work together to feel your best. Honestly I'd heard of all of them but how no idea how they really worked in my body. She includes easy tests to take (if you don't want to pay lab fees) in her book or what tests to have ordered at labs if you want to be sure. Then she walks you through, step-by-step, what these results ACTUALLY mean. What a real normal is (not the dr's tables looking for REALLY abnormal) and if you are slightly off - how to correct it to feel your best.

It's like a user manual for hormones that you didn't even know existed yet are ruling your life! What I especially love is that a lot of Dr Gottfried's solutions are simple (not easy but simple) and involve no drugs - just lifestyle modifications (that are doable). Like heart math, or yoga breathing, or a simple food to eat. She also gives you the natural over the counter supplements you can take to fix an issue that continues (your Dr would/could NEVER do that) and then lastly, how you might use RX drugs if the issue persist. Basically covering all your bases from lifestyle fixes to drug fixes and in between - LOVE IT!

Fast forward a few months, I followed JJ Virgin's foodplan that Dr Gottfried recommended, along with some heart math and some lifestyle shifts and I'm down 7 lbs that wouldn't budge just months ago! I had honestly given up hope.

I would recommend this book for women who are committed to living a full life and want to know the full range of options to do it. The book is easy to read, funny, and Dr Sara is likable. It's also an amazing education that if you want to get to know your body's inner workings better - you can't miss. Read this book and someday soon, you too could be singing the "I feel awesome and my jeans are too big on me" non-blues!
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 13, 2013
Format: Hardcover
Forget the confusing organization and the long winded passages and the "I'm your girlfriend who loves top 40 music" vibe the author is trying to cultivate.

What she really wants you to do is pay for more of her (poorly organized and grossly overpriced) programs. Join her detoxes, take online classes, pay for a monthly newsletter (it's all regurgitated info from the book anyways) and pay for access to old webinars and speeches. It's a lofty goal to help women improve their health and hormone balance is a genuine issue but this woman leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. The website alone will set off alarms in any sane person's head - clearly this is someone who subscribes to the pyramid scheme marketing club.

Want to know what the book says? Stress less, eat healthy, get some vitamins and find an exercise regimen that works for you. And don't buy the freaking kindle or audio book. They're riddled with issues.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2014
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Not as medically scientific as I expected. There was nothing new or helpful - eliminate sugar, eliminate caffeine, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 25, 2014
Format: Hardcover
I couldn't even finish this book. And I had to unsubscribe from Sara Gottfried's newsletter. She's a doctor trying to be a celebrity and it's just awful. I believe that her want to market herself is much greater than her want to advance women's health.

What astounds me is that this book isn't even that helpful -- the suggestions are quite basic -- but she's dubbed them "The Gottfried Protocol." Please. Sara, you haven't brought anything new to light, you've just repackaged some common sense and previously-researched information and marketed them as your "protocol." The book was so wrought with arrogance and self-aggrandizing blabber, it was insulting.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 21, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
I was honestly very disappointed in this book and didn't finish it. The questionnaires at the beginning of the book that are designed to help you identify which hormones are out of balance can be quite unhelpful in pinpointing imbalances. For example, if one is suffering from insomnia/disrupted sleep, depression, anxiety, brain-fog/poor memory, it could due to either low or high estrogen. There are similar examples relating to other hormones, (cortisol, for example). I find it incredulous that a Harvard-trained physician (which she mentions ad nauseum) would promote a diagnostic tool that has such basic flaws. If I can't use the information to pinpoint my problem, the book can't provide me with much guidance and is basically useless to me. It's likely more beneficial to women with symptoms that clearly point to a given hormonal imbalance, but if it's being promoted as a "cure," the strategy promoted should work for at least almost all combinations of symptoms. Or, at the very least, explain how to proceed when the questionnaire results in conflicting results. Gottfried explains how to handle multiple imbalances, but the same symptoms shouldn't point to both high and low levels of the same hormone.

Another thing that bothered me about this book is that many of her recommended cures are not financially realistic for the average woman. One would have to be quite wealthy to afford many of the things she recommends.

Bottom line: don't waste your money!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 16, 2013
Format: Hardcover
It would be more beneficial and honest from Sara Gottfried to write about marketing and making money in health care services. Without me saying more, please check out some of her adds:
[...] (Membership in my new premier 6-week online program - H School ($2997). Like B School, but for your hormones.
Access to entire SaraGottfriedMD.com library of programs and recordings ($5K)
We'll have a private Facebook community to play in & connect, all year long.
And! We'll have a full-day celebration in December, at an eco-spa in northern California. (Yum.)
Optional add on: personalized concierge coaching one-on-one for 50 min quarterly - this is the only way to do one on one work with me in 2013. Add on $2,500 for a quarterly private appointment - cannot be purchased separately. ($4K)
If you try to make an appointment ($$$$ -yes is not a mistake), you will be put on her email list and receive similar emails on weekly basis.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 20, 2013
Format: Kindle Edition
I have never written a review for a book before but I thought I'd better this time and hopefully save someone some money. Do NOT buy this book...it's a waste of money. All she does is ramble on and tell you an unlimited amount of times that she's a Harvard trained physician but does not give any true advice on how to really treat conditions you may be suffering from. It's supposed to be the hormone CURE but I didn't find a cure in there anywhere. I then went to the website she mentions often (thehormonecurebook.com) expecting to find more information and that was a joke...found nothing. Don't waste your time or money.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 23, 2013
Format: Hardcover
It took me several weeks to read this book and that's unusual. I found the book quite easy to read and definitely entertaining, but I struggled with the sheer amount of information. I wanted to get it all straight in my head but I don't think it's really that kind of book. The Hormone Cure is a book you need to put on the shelf and refer to often.

Just in case anyone needs a few hormonal truth bombs - PMS, infertility, PCOS, problem menopausal symptoms and unpredictable periods are not normal. Yes, those things seem to be common, some almost expected, but they are not normal. Sara Gottfried found herself having some problems and decided to set about working out how to fix her own health and hormone issues and has gone on to make a career of helping other women.

Gottfried starts out by giving some background to her life and health, and how she came to do the work she does and to writing this book. Chapter 1 contains a series of questionnaires which you can use to decide if you suffer from a hormonal imbalance... or two. This is not a quick magazine style questionnaire, it is quite detailed and time consuming, but it is just the beginning. The next step is to work out which hormone issues you may have and which chapter/s of the book apply to you.

Chapters 2 and 3 are a detailed run-down on all things hormonal: what happens when and why and which hormones are responsible.

Part II mostly concentrates on the various hormonal problems and various ways to resolve them. This section seemed very, very detailed to me, and that's probably because I wanted to read it all, so as not to miss anything. But it just became way too overwhelming and I suggest that anyone setting out to read this book just follow what the author calls the streamlined version, then go over the comprehensive version if you feel you need or want more. The streamlined and comprehensive ways of using the book are outlined at the end of Chapter 1.

Chapter 10 covers combinations of hormonal imbalances and I suspect that if you are around my age this is where you will be spending a good deal of reading time. Dr Gottfried suggests that up to age 35-ish hormonal problems are more often single issues, after that age combinations are more likely. Goody.

Finally, Chapter 11 gives some general health and well-being tips for how to proceed once everything is running smoothly.

The Appendices take up a large part of this book, and while I tend to skip most of them in the books I read, in The Hormone Cure... well just don't go thinking your reading is over when you get to the end of Chapter 11.

I really think that this is a book that all females should read. If I had daughters instead of sons (they are nearly 16 and nearly 18) I would have them read it... in fact the boys probably should anyway. I strongly believe that if we knew more about how our bodies work, and how much our actions affect our hormones, and how our hormones affect every aspect of our lives, we would all be much healthier and happier.

0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
The descriptions of how hormones work were interesting and shed light on other things I have read but I did not find an actual cure in the book. It still comes down to managing stress, eating right, and working with a doctor for your specific situation. I do 90% of what she describes already and my hair is still horribly thin and I still have problems with acne. I expected more concrete help.
4747 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations