5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Gem!
At the age of 51, I was hit with hot flashes, nightsweats, a 20 lb weight gain of mostly abdomninal fat, fatigue and hypoglycemia. This book was a lifesaver thrown to me. Like others, I have tried and failed all the conventional diets out there. I also have a gluten intolerance, which causes my body to make antibodies that attack my thyroid. I am lucky to have a...
Published on August 21, 2010 by J. Merlich

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start to understanding our hormones!
Published on November 16, 2011 by MMJT

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start to understanding our hormones!, November 16, 2011
Turner gives a good basic background on endocrine imbalances and even helps the reader pinpoint what hormones their body is producing in excess or not enough of. I found some of her suggestion very helpful and she shed some new light on inflammation in the body, but over all the book wasn't well put together. It could be better formatted for easier understanding and flow. She doesn't make certain things clear, e.g. She clearly states to avoid caffeine yet a chapter or so later she encourages readers to drink green tea, but gives no explanation or connection. l Also, I didn't care for her gentle nudge to pursue the law of attraction as a way to de-stress and to the point of endorsing "The Secret." I will say I would encourage women with PCOS to read this book. It really opens your eyes to see what is happening day to day inside your body. Another GREAT read in the area of hormones and brain chemistry is Dr. Eric Braverman book "The Younger Thinner You." He hits on dopamine, acetylcholine, gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) an serotonin and how food effects them

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, really good book, September 15, 2011
S Sargent "An Inspired Image" (Covington, LA United States) - See all my reviews
Last year I went on a very restrictive diet (Medifast), and over the course of 9 months I lost 85 lbs. I went off the diet, and while I was continuing to eat right and exercise I began to steadily gain the weight back. I tried everything I could think of, including going back on the Medifast diet program only to have it no longer work for me.
At the same time I was going into a depression, was tired all the time, my hair looked dry and horrible mo matter what conditioner I used (my mom is a hair stylist so I tried EVERYTHING professional I could get my hands on!), my motivation was gone, and I began to feel totally hopeless.
Eventually I figured out that I must have a thyroid problem, caused in part by the 800 calorie a day diet, mixed with all the soy from the diet. In the search for gaining my health back, I found this book.
The author knows what she is talking about. The info in this book is very close to recommendations from my doctor, and she goes further into suppliments to help every hormonal condition including high cortisol, low adrenals, thyroid issues, and so much more.
She also has a really great plan for reducing stress, naturally cleansing the body of toxins, and exercising better, not harder. All in all, I have found this book to be very, very helpful and supportive for my needs. Although I am now on Armour Thyroid medication which has helped so much (my hair is finally shiny and soft again!), I was still searching for a good, healthy all around diet to follow that is not going to starve me and put me back into dealing with the slow metabolism issue I caused, but will still allow me to lose weight and balance my body and that is in this book.
Highly recommended with down to earth information that everyone can benefit from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, November 5, 2012
Christine Rice (Worcester, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I am completely impressed with "The Hormone Diet." It is professionally written and the writing has personality. It is written by an ND - a Naturopathic Doctor. In the acknowledgements, the author says a MD - medical doctor - reviewed the book to offer their suggestions and opinions. Additionally, it is full of research, and it is structured in a way that is pleasing to read (the chapters are broken up with lots of subheadings and sections, and several diagrams and charts). It is a long book (480 pages), but the last 21% (about 100 pages) is the index, so it is not as overwhelming as it seems!

This book is perfect for anyone who feels they have a slow metabolism, is overweight (especially with abdominal fat), has medical problems, or generally doesn't feel good (low energy, depression, stressed, etc.). This book's main focus is on losing fat, speeding up metabolism, decreasing appetite, and abolishing cravings. It encourages a healthy eating lifestyle that is mostly lean meats, as many vegetables as you want, low-fat dairy, legumes, and whole grains. The carbs that are okay in the book are potato, quinoa, brown rice, chia, Kashi GoLean cereal, oatmeal, and rye bread, but only one serving per day is recommended, which is about half a cup. Being a low-carber, I simply leave out the legumes and whole grains. But I didn't mind that it was included in the book, because I understand that not everyone has a carb addiction.

The author suggests doing a cleanse/detox diet for two weeks twice a year. I'm not keen on those (I went through the induction phase of Atkins and struggled), because I don't do well mentally when I deprive myself. But some people will find it helpful to identify food allergies or sensitivities. Turner believes in taking supplements, which I believe in too. No one can gain all the nutrients they need to live an optimal life from the food they eat. For example, omega 3 and 6 are essential nutrients that are not produced by the body and, therefore, must be ingested.

The hormone diet includes an exercise program: workout six days a week - three days of strength training, one to two days of yoga, and one to two days of cardio. The author uses the exercise program she has used for many years, with pictures and charts that have information on how to progress. I get the overall feeling that the author is sharing her professional advice with me, but is very flexible about making the program work for each person, rather than forcing a strict regimen, like some diet books do.

The purpose of the hormone diet is to live a healthy and happy life, so it is a well-rounded book that covers other aspects of health, such as skincare and home environment, such as air pollution, chemical solutions, and materials that have chemicals in them that come in contact with the skin and affect our hormones, which in turn affect our health and body weight. Another thing that makes it so well-rounded is that the author provides many ideas on how to overcome a weight loss plateau.

This book has motivated me to look into my health further. Helping myself lose more weight was my initial reason for buying this book. It has already been very helpful and I feel hopeful that I will be able to lose more weight because of this book. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Plans, lists and menus! Oh my!, September 15, 2011
This review is from: The Hormone Diet: A 3-Step Program to Help You Lose Weight, Gain Strength, and Live Younger Longer (Paperback)
Honestly, I bought this book for only a few reasons: 1. Endorsed by Dr. C. Northrup and 2. To rebut the nattering nabobs of negativism who gave this book low ratings. It was inconceivable to me that any doctor of any discipline in the westernized, 21st century world would write a book with "diet" in the title and not include food lists or recipes.

Dr. Turner has written a very thorough explanation of various hormones and how to lower or raise them depending on individual need. One's level of need can be superficially assessed by reading through various charts which clearly show, for example, locations of body fat accumulations. (Page 77, 89, 96, 114, you get the idea.) On one chart, actual page numbers are given, where one can find bullet lists of suggested supplements (pgs 304-5).

Useful bits: Sample detox plan p194. Detox foods to enjoy chart pg 196-7, detox supplements chart. Plentiful numbered lists of supplements and (!) the reasons for her recommendations. (Chapters 11-13 are my faves.) Recommended food on the Glyci-Med plan, charts, pages 254-258 (Starchy Carbs, Fruits, Veggies, Beans, Nuts). Continuing on pages 262-263 (Protein, 266-267). Followed by, OMG, a Sample Menu Plan. See the index under "Menu plans, sample." In a cruel linguistic trick, recipes are disguised as "Recipes."

Even with the reco'd foods/supplements listed, and explained, you still need a shopping list?? On this point Dr. Turner was indeed sneaky. The shopping list is not listed in the Contents, but is diabolically hidden in the Index under "Shopping list." How can she be so thorough and yet so evil (pronounced "eeveel")? (Page 442-5. This one was just toooo easy.)

Need success stories? Be your own. I double, dirty-dog dare you!

5.0 out of 5 stars My new lifestyle, December 24, 2012
My story is similar to Dr. Natasha Turner's. I was 22 when I stumbled upon this book. Despite being a "healthy" vegetarian, I noticed a lot of weight gain after graduating college and entering the "real world." Along with the unflattering appearance, I frequently experienced fatigue and would be stuck in bed on random days. Other days I would feel like my normal self. I almost lost my job over this unknown yet incredibly frustrating condition. Doctors would point to hormonal imbalance, but they never gave any solutions-- besides birth control, which exasperated my problem.

I was planning on buying another diet book but noticed The Hormone Diet and couldn't pass it by. I read through the introduction at the bookstore and purchased it. Dr. Turner drew me in right away, and I dedicated my entire summer to following her diet religiously.

Since starting the diet in June, I have lost somewhere around 25 pounds and dropped 2 pant sizes. My energy level is higher throughout the day, and it remains consistent over long periods of time. My skin looks a lot better, and I feel much better than I ever have. And perhaps most importantly, I approach my diet in a brand new way that has honestly changed my life. In the past, used to add 3-4 heaping teaspoons of sugar to my tea. Now I either go without any sugar or add a squeeze of agave nectar. I used to eat bread or pasta with almost every meal. Now I divide my carbs into specific types and eat one serving of starch (i.e. whole wheat, potato, pasta) per day.

I honestly believe that anyone can experience weight loss through Dr. Turner's program if they take the time to understand why her method works. This isn't a simple topic that can be covered in under 100 pages. Those who are interested in long-term solutions to common health problems should pick up this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing if you are willing to actually read a book., April 1, 2012
I am 28 at the moment and had uterine fibroids, pluerisy, insomnia, migraines, hypothyroidism, borderline personality disorder and stress from dealing with all of this as a PC tech at a fast paced business. One week into my detox after finishing this book and I dropped from 190 pounds to 170, sleep without medication, can concentrate at work with no stress and have cut the need for 6 different doctors out of my life. For those who said this book was complicated; they aren't ready to take their health seriously yet. Come back when it's time.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, August 12, 2010
this book is the best book ever I suffer from spider veins for years and did everything in my power to clear my legs (sclerotherapy,laser vein removal,) is very expensive and after a while the veins were back,after taking the herbs recomended in this book for my problem the veins are almost gone like magic my weight is going down and my mood swings are better,this book is a must for everybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars What I didn't know!, June 10, 2012
Recently I have become aware of how hormones dictated my health. Physical issues I've dealt with, as well as positives in my health revolved primarily around what state my hormones were in. I see this now after much self study and educating myself through reading books ans studies like this one. I am not alone in this, all men and women are affected by their hormones whether they realize it or not.
I have shifted my thinking and eating habits recently because of this. What I considered healthy eating, was not. Now I strive to eat organic fruits and vegetables, and stay away from hormones in meats, chicken, milk and eggs. My vitamins now are free of fillers and additives, soy free is good for me. I filter my water.... I am not so regimented that I do not eat out, but when I do I am aware they may not have purchased the same quality hormone, pesticide free items that I would have. Our environment is full of harmful products, i work with them, and we can't live in a bubble, but educating yourself will equip you in making the right decisions for yourself.

This book has a great section where you can self evaluate your hormonal state in various areas by answering a series of questions. I feel I have pinpointed imbalances by taking this test. I clearly see how health issues I've dealt with in the past were related to these imbalances. Wow! Why didn't my health care professionals put that all together for me? I am fully aware that hormones change throughout the years and almost daily, through our monthly cycle, but a clear deficiency or dominance, is something I would like to know about. So now in addition to things I can do for myself, like exercising more, and changing eating habits, I certainly will have a chat with my doctor and request that my hormones be tested.

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter likes it a lot, November 11, 2012
Has changed our daughter life. She has lost over 20 lbs and still dropping weight. Seems happier and more confident.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 3, 2013
I had recently purchased other diet books, but this one was life changing. All the other books focused on what to eat. This book takes a wellness approach to health. This is the first book that made me look at my entire lifestyle. Was I getting enough sleep, if not how to get more sleep. Are you taking the right vitamins if any? How do deal with estrogen dominance and cortisol excess. The book really teaches you how to balance your hormones for better health. It teaches you that if you focus on wellness and health, the weight will occur as a result of what your doing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›